My Epson 6010 arrived today!!

themrclean

I just ordered my Epson 6010 and I can't wait to get this thing, should be about a week. I was lucky enough to work out a deal with an authorized Epson dealer who had one new one still in box with a 3 year warranty, 2 pairs of glasses, mount, cable cover, and extra lamp for shipped for $2400. This should be a nice upgrade from my epson 8350.

I will write a review once I get it and watch a few movies. 3D here I come!!

No it isn't wireless. I can't justify spending $300 extra to save on having to buy a $50 HDMI cable. It took me days to decide between $2000 for the Epson 5010 with 2 pairs of glasses, mount, HDMI cable, cable cover, and Disney bluray calibration disc or $2400 for the 6010 which is black instead of white (I plan on having a black ceiling in the theater), comes with 2 pairs of glasses, mount, cable cover, spare lamp, anamorphic lens support and 3 year pro warranty. I finally decided it was worth the extra $400 for the 6010. The pro series retails for $1000 more than the consumer series so $400 was pretty good really.

No it isn't wireless. I can't justify spending $300 extra to save on having to buy a $50 HDMI cable. It took me days to decide between $2000 for the Epson 5010 with 2 pairs of glasses, mount, HDMI cable, cable cover, and Disney bluray calibration disc or $2400 for the 6010 which is black instead of white (I plan on having a black ceiling in the theater), comes with 2 pairs of glasses, mount, cable cover, spare lamp, anamorphic lens support and 3 year pro warranty. I finally decided it was worth the extra $400 for the 6010. The pro series retails for $1000 more than the consumer series so $400 was pretty good really.

So the 5010 and 6010 is the same projector? (color)

GREAT prices. Can you share your source??

I will have to get permission from the retailer first, he doesn't want it getting around. The pro series are only allowed to be sold by Epson authorized installers for installation purposes and he could have the Epson line taken away from him if word got to the wrong person. I do know that this was his last one and he can't order any more now that the 6020 is out.

So the 5010 and 6010 is the same projector? (color)

Basically, the only differences other than the color and additional accessories are the addition of THX mode, and support of an anamorphic lens on the 6010. I believe there are more calibration options on the 6010 too.

wstrickland1 and indyhawg, how much do you like yours, how good are the black levels? I demoed one in 3D about 6 months ago but didn't get to see it in 2D. I'm wondering how much difference the iris makes in 2D.

Not wstrickland1, indyhawg or videophile but in my room 2D blacks are as black room/ambient light/screen will allow. I am sure someone with meter will say it is not completly black but for sports and most movies blacks are black and there is good shadow detail.

Watching Duke vs. Miami right now, lots of detail in Miami uniforms, dark gray to black on the close ups.

We have a new 50" plasma in the same room, plasma has higher contrast ratio and "deeper blacks" but I prefer the brightness and punch of the Epson 6010.

From all the reading i did it was clear that if you get a top model (no matter the brand) you will be blown away. It is a little like buying a house, Trying to find that perfect one for your needs. I think you made a great choice with the 6010 for 3d and 2d. If i was getting a new projector today 3d would matter a lot (it didn't at all when I bought mine). So as happy as I am with the jvc it would be hard to pick with 3d in mind (even though its awesome in 3d too i can see how it would be better). I would probably go sony or espon tuff call. I think I'm going to get a 2nd projector down the road for 3d, tv, games, and tv viewing. And keep the jvc for the 2d.

From all the reading i did it was clear that if you get a top model (no matter the brand) you will be blown away. It is a little like buying a house, Trying to find that perfect one for your needs. I think you made a great choice with the 6010 for 3d and 2d. If i was getting a new projector today 3d would matter a lot (it didn't at all when I bought mine). So as happy as I am with the jvc it would be hard to pick with 3d in mind (even though its awesome in 3d too i can see how it would be better). I would probably go sony or espon tuff call. I think I'm going to get a 2nd projector down the road for 3d, tv, games, and tv viewing. And keep the jvc for the 2d.

Good way of stating it, like finding the right house. Some like the Klipsch sound some like the B&W sound. Some like contrast of Plasma some like brightness punch of LCD.

Wanted a projector for years but they were too dim and did not have enough contrast compared to 52" Sony LCD Panel TV. When Epson 6010 came out that was no longer the case. Bright enough to watch with some ambient day light in the room, enough contrast to enjoy Harry Potter movies when dark.

Only down side is manual focus and zoom, but I can live with that versus $$$ to obtain a unit as bright with enough zom to fill 100" screen from under 11 feet.

You're going to love it. Blacks are very good. Not as good as the Samsung 60" plasma I have in the same room but that's not a fair comparison. It is very bright if you want it to be and the colors are amazing. It's also very quiet. Honestly I haven't tried 3-D yet so I can't comment on that but I hear it's very good as well.