la Scala

Hello everyone

i have change from house and i am curious if I can place my La scala,s with there back to the wall

it is a straight wall and they are about 3 1/2 meters apart standing from each others measured from the middle of the front

or should i turn in them a little

there is only a sidewall at the rigth within a distance of 1 meter left is plenty of room but there is a opposite wall at 4 meters distance in a quarter to half the spreading sound area

see forward to the answers

greetings

Koos

I am curious if I can place my La Scalas with their backs to the wall?

Yes - this will improve their bass performance extension and smoothness. In fact, they sound even better in the corners of the room. The trick is to keep nearby sound reflectors (other than the smooth walls) away from the first meter or so from your speakers or your listening position. If you have equipment racks, furniture, or walls that are not smooth, then simply apply sound absorption pads, tapestries, curtains or other sound diffusion material to this "reflection free zone" within the first meter. This will correct any issues with sound stage/imaging. Also note that you should have something on the floor just in front of your La Scalas like carpet to absorb midrange reflections.

...or should i turn in them a little?

Yes, turn them to point directly at your listening position, but remember to keep the first meter of area around the speakers free of sound reflectors. Try moving the right-side speaker around into the corner and then a half meter out the corner, then listen: the bass should be deeper and the frequency response smoother.

Chris

Thanks very much Chris for the answer. I am already trying the possibilities

Have you or has anyone experience with new networks for the la scala,s ? I read a lot about replacement from Crites but also thatbthe ALK are very good. I am not a very good technician so waht would be the best to use to upgrade my la scala,s

Greetings

Koos

Have you or has anyone experience with new networks for the la scalas ?

Koos,

Which version of the LaScala do you own? Or to be more precise, which crossover are you using now?

It can also depend on your ampification and how loud you play your music...

Most folks who use the ALK extreme slope crossovers feel they sound better at higher volumes, partly because they are a little more complex than the ones Bob Crites offers (more like new builds of the original crossovers).

For example, I use very low power amps, and the simpler crossovers I built work well with these amps, even though they are a 1st and 2nd order crossover, with a lot of driver/frequency overlap. I am rarely listening over 90db.

Bruce

Hello Bruce

I have type 1 of the la scala.s. With a al3 crossover and all standard speakers. I mean as they come out of the factory at that time

I am looking fot the universal version of the ALK as a replacement for the AL3's. I read about them on theninternet and they look a good upgrade to me. I dont want he extreme version because i read that it would be better then to replace the tweeters and that what i dont want because parts of klipsch are very hard to get in the Netherlands

I rarely play very loud but have an amplifier that is capable to do that if necessary. I use a Airtight ATM2 as amplifier.

The combination la scala/. Airtight is very good but i asume that there is always a inprovement to achieve.

Greetings

Koos

Koos,

Al's universal is a great crossover. A forum member loaned me a pair to replace my AL crossovers while I constructed newer ones. You should be very pleased with them if you can get them.

Bruce

I don,t know much about cross overs but i also think that the ALK universal is an improvement for the la scala.s

I dont know what the best is. A Crites or an ALK

Per haps there are other crossovers that a even better then the mentioned ones

I am also very curious what more i can upgrade on the la scala,s, perhaps the cables or so

I dont know.

Koos

I think that there is a lot to benefit in cables. When i take a look in amplifiers, crossover etc i mostly see thin copper cable innthere. Whenni see what factories want us to belief of thick cables between amplifier and speakers them i cannot see what benefit those have when the internal cables is still of the thin kind.

Sometimes the speakercable re a wrist thick and from silver/gold

I am curious what is the best to make thick. The internal or he external cables. And wht effect would tht have on the sound.

What you also see on the market is that there are factories who are (again) experience with full copper, so not many hear thin any more but copper kernel cable. I believe in the last ones

All that must also have effect on crossover cable to the drivers. I dont think that is a fairytale

Koos

It is likely that changing cables would make LESS difference in the sound of your system than any other change.

The length of the cable makes a difference. In general, the shorter the
cable, the less difference the other characteristics of the cable
make. Thus, it's O.K. for the short internal cables in your speaker
enclosure and crossovers to be thin.

Many audiophiles consider a
lot of cable electromythology not only to be untrue, but to be like rubbing
on snake oil to bring about good health.

Following Cask's advice about putting the La Scalas in corners and covering the first meter of wall space (from the mouth of the La Scalas out into the room) with absorbing materials might make the biggest difference in sound.

Hello everyone

i have change from house and i am curious if I can place my La scala,s with there back to the wall

it is a straight wall and they are about 3 1/2 meters apart standing from each others measured from the middle of the front

or should i turn in them a little

there is only a sidewall at the rigth within a distance of 1 meter left is plenty of room but there is a opposite wall at 4 meters distance in a quarter to half the spreading sound area

see forward to the answers

greetings

Koos

Spliting Bass Bin from mids is the best way to go. Point the bass bins straight out and along the "side walls" then toe mids and tweeters, aimed at main listening position. Bass frequencies are helped corners, mids and above are not, so toeing them in helps.