Identifying Serial Numbers

cnydave

Hello, I have just joined the forum and hoping someone can answer a question for me. I am looking at purchasing a pair of Cornwall II speakers locally. Unfortunately, the serial number tag on the backs of the speakers have been removed. There is no serial number stamped into the back of the cabinets. Does anyone know if Klipsch ever identified a speaker's serial number inside of the cabinet, or if a serial number of a speaker can somehow be traced to the drivers, or other components inside? If so, do you know if Klipsch would ever provide a "replacement" tag. My guess is that Klipsch would (and should) be wary of counterfeit speakers. Thoughts? Thanks.

Dave

cnydave,

welcome to the forum. don't think Klipsch would provide a replacement tag.

I think it is a reasonable request to ask the seller to open the cabs for you to take a look at the drivers.

do you have any concerns that these might not be authentic Klipsch?

Thanks Daddy Dee - no, I don't have any reason to believe that they are not authentic, I am just thinking for myself that I would like to have the information about when they were made, serial numbers, who inspected/tested them, etc.

If they're anything like mine, they may be a mish-mash of parts used between 84' and 85'.

For instance: My 84's use CW I cabs but had CW II drivers, horns and networks. But yet they don't have the s/n stamped into the rear top edge of the cabinet. All they have stamped onto any edge in "R".

From what I understand, Klipsch used whatever parts they had on hand that day to make them.

so you can't say they came from the factory with cornwall 1 cabs and cornwall 2 componets. somebody switched them out along the way. cornwall 2's didn't come out until late 85

if the original owner bought them new and says this is the way they came from the factory then it would be a whole nother story.

Well, what I can say for sure that the spacing between the tweeter and mid is definitely CW I and they mount from the inside. But they came with K57K's and B3 nets.I'm not sure why someone would swap out the K55's and B2's. To me that would be a step backwards. This pic is from the man that I bought them from.

post-5564-13819831037902_thumb.jpg

Here's the inside.

Yes, I swapped out the woofers, tweets an nets in this pic. I'm just directing attention the mid driver (K57) and the space between the k601 and the tweeter as well as them being mounted from the inside.

Isn't that 3/4 of a CornScala build?

Here's the inside.

Yes, I swapped out the woofers, tweets an nets in this pic. I'm just directing attention the mid driver (K57) and the space between the k601 and the tweeter as well as them being mounted from the inside.

Isn't that 3/4 of a CornScala build?

You're right, it is. Just ran out of funds at the time to finish it. [:)]