Old School Tubes VS new Tube equip.

Taz

Have Mcintosh mc30's and Fisher 400 (not for sale), but just wonder how they rate with the new Tube equipment? Use them with KHorns...........Taz

I agree with Maynard in that it is helpful to narrow your topic.

For example, I believe that with vintage tube amplifiers it is important that a purchaser have all the old caps checked by a qualified tech and out-of-spec caps replaced to bring the amplifer up to spec. Hopfully not a concern with a reputable manufacturer of new production amplifiers.

Manufacturers such as Cary Audio and Audio Research both have good reputations over the years in the tube amplifier market. In fact here is a thread where a forum member compares his Cary Audio tube amplifiers with a solid state First Watt F3 on his Jubilee speakers.

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/171953.aspx?PageIndex=1

A general question that may generate opinions and views could be, 'how are vintage tube gear and new tube gear the same and how are they different?'

Sub categories to consider for which various people have strong views for both vintage and new:

Simple circuit vs complex circuits

Tube rectification vs solid state rectification

Even within a manufacturer such as Audio Research, certain amplifiers have a reputation (using the age-old stereotypical characterizations) of sounding more "lush and warm" while other models have a reputation of providing that "clinical and detailed" sound.

Does this mean you are venturing deeper into that proverbial chasm in your search for audio nirvana? [;)] Should we stay tuned for "SET vs. Push-Pull" or "Passive cross-over network vs. Active Processing"? [:#]

On a side note, I wasn't necessarily in the market, but given the almost unanimous praise I keep reading about regarding the "lush, liquid and mezmerizing" mid-range, I recently picked up a pair of McIntosh MC30s at a price I couldn't pass up. Now I just need to set aside the funds to follow my own advice above. Hope you enjoy your journey! [Y]

they didnt call it the golden age for nothing...that said there are some very nice tube amp designs out there. I feel that bang for buck has dropped in modern tube electronics. to get the kind of relative high performance one got from Mcintosh, marantz, scott, etc. nowadays one tends to have to pay for the high dollar tube stuff. VTL, Balanced Audio and Lamm are modern tube amps but you pay for it. people like roger modjeski at music reference, quicksilver and prima luna seem to be more value oriented. taking some of the greta old circuits and updating the caps and resistors, perhaps even the output iron gets world class performance...I love my JFL amp which the maker said was based on a WE amp circuit. auditioning modern tube amps is a great way to see what they have to offer and how they differ, I strongly recommend some time spent auditioning before taking the jump form vintage to modern. warm regards, tony

It depends on what you mean when you say "rate." Are you talking about reliability, features, sound, etc? Just as in the past, there's great stuff available as well as junk. So, if you can be more specific, that would help. Regards! Maynard

Sound and reliability I believe is more what I'm looking at. I was concerned that one of the tubes for Fisher 400 was no longer available, but hear there there is now a replacement available. Have about 1K in it and 2Kin the mc30's. Fisher seems to give mc30's a pretty good run. Like them both, just wonder how others compare in sound and reliability. Or any other opinions that anyone might like to state. Pro or con................[:S]...................just uneducated with toys................Taz

It depends on what you mean when you say "rate." Are you talking about reliability, features, sound, etc? Just as in the past, there's great stuff available as well as junk. So, if you can be more specific, that would help. Regards! Maynard

Sound and reliability I believe is more what I'm looking at. I was concerned that one of the tubes for Fisher 400 was no longer available, but hear there there is now a replacement available. Have about 1K in it and 2Kin the mc30's. Fisher seems to give mc30's a pretty good run. Like them both, just wonder how others compare in sound and reliability. Or any other opinions that anyone might like to state. Pro or con................Tongue Tied...................just uneducated with toys................Taz

Tony certainly hit on some brands which are known for excellence in all respects. Regarding sound though, it's too subjective to even comment on- bottom line is that if you love the sound of the Fisher and Mac then there's no need to look further. As far as reliability goes, the fundamental issue with tube amps is ventilation, and that applies to modern as well as vintage equipment (especially since many vintage amps run the tubes very hard relative to their maximum ratings.) I'm a big believer in using quiet muffin fans when amps are used in any kind of enclosed space. An open shelf is always best but even then, if the room is not air conditioned in the summer, I'd consider some kind of measure to keep the amps relatively cool (I don't have a/c and my listening room can approach 90 degrees on some days!) Last point, about tube availability for some vintage amps, in a worst case scenario it is sometimes possible to rewire to allow the use of more readily available types assuming they can be made compatible with the output transformers. Anyway, enjoy the ride! To me, this hobby is a benign form of insanity........... Maynard

Sound and reliability I believe is more what I'm looking at. I was concerned that one of the tubes for Fisher 400 was no longer available, but hear there there is now a replacement available. Have about 1K in it and 2Kin the mc30's. Fisher seems to give mc30's a pretty good run. Like them both, just wonder how others compare in sound and reliability. Or any other opinions that anyone might like to state. Pro or con................Tongue Tied...................just uneducated with toys................Taz

Tony certainly hit on some brands which are known for excellence in all respects. Regarding sound though, it's too subjective to even comment on- bottom line is that if you love the sound of the Fisher and Mac then there's no need to look further. As far as reliability goes, the fundamental issue with tube amps is ventilation, and that applies to modern as well as vintage equipment (especially since many vintage amps run the tubes very hard relative to their maximum ratings.) I'm a big believer in using quiet muffin fans when amps are used in any kind of enclosed space. An open shelf is always best but even then, if the room is not air conditioned in the summer, I'd consider some kind of measure to keep the amps relatively cool (I don't have a/c and my listening room can approach 90 degrees on some days!) Last point, about tube availability for some vintage amps, in a worst case scenario it is sometimes possible to rewire to allow the use of more readily available types assuming they can be made compatible with the output transformers. Anyway, enjoy the ride! To me, this hobby is a benign form of insanity........... Maynard

I found it necessary (and a great safety precaution) to replace the bias power supply on my Fisher 500C, along with other items already mentioned. The result has been very pleasing.

If you've got MC30's and a Fisher 400 in good enough shape to use as daily drivers, I don't think there's much out there that would improve upon the gear you are already using.

Don't know what you are using as a preamp for your McIntosh, but would think any Juicy Music preamp would be killer with those.

If you've got MC30's and a Fisher 400 in good enough shape to use as daily drivers, I don't think there's much out there that would improve upon the gear you are already using.

Don't know what you are using as a preamp for your McIntosh, but would think any Juicy Music preamp would be killer with those.

Lafayette KT 600 pre-amp kit

Have heard this is a good unit. Tech said he was impressed.. Have large bill coming up so no $$ to spend on toys. Unless I wanted to sell some toys first. Rather hook them up to AB one toy against the others.

Have to get rack set up for what were Carl's Bass Bins.

The MC30's and the Fisher were gone through before I ever hooked them up to speakers. Then got KHorns and figured that would probably due for the tube's.

I just threw the question out there as I've never owned any new tube gear. Did listen to some new tube gear when I bought KHorns from Jordan...........Taz