Does anyone have a link for DIY LaScala's or Cornwalls?

12ax7

Cornwall cabinets are a relatively simple build...LaScalas are more complicated...but your problem won't be in the cabinet build...it will be in the component cost of what you NEED for those cabinets. My recent meanderings on the auction sites have shown me that a good deal on Cornwalls or LaScalas is MUCH less expensive than buying the components for the cabinetry separately. Something to consider.

Even a pair of Cornwalls or LaScalas with good components in them, but with raggedy cabinets...and priced to reflect this...is often much less expensive than trying to get the components alone...with the added benefit that you end up with a cabinet to take measurements from so that you can build some nice replacement cabinets. Again, something to consider.

------------------

I can now receive private messages

just happened onto this link, it is for the klipsch horn.

http://www.speakerbuilding.com/content/1032/

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

Here is a link:

http://baseportal.de/cgi-bin/baseportal.pl?htx=/Data/exdreamaudio/bauplaene_forum&db=bauplaene&cmd=list&range=0,20&cmd=all&Id=6

Dieter

------------------

Bass: Klipschorn

Mids: Fostex H220 + Fostex D586

MidsHigh: Fostex H425 + Fostex FD600

High: Fostex T925

X : active (Pioneer D-23)

Pre : AVM V1

Amp : AudioValve PPP 30

: Rotel RB 956

: Quad 303

CD : Marantz CD 73

Soory, the first link is wrong.

Here it is:

http://baseportal.de/cgi-bin/baseportal.pl?htx=/Data/exdreamaudio/bauplaene_forum&db=bauplaene&cmd=list&range=0,20&cmd=all&Id=8

Dieter

------------------

I'm interested in building a pair too, already have almost all the components I need, just need k400 horns and crossovers, but I'd make them myself. Depending on what my new apartment is like will determine whether they are Klipschorns or La Scalas. Anyone with any diagrams, info, tips, etc, please send me a shout.

Thanks,

Jon

------------------

markvi82@hotmail.com

1981 Cornwall I's

Yamaha DSP-A1000 integrated amp

Acoustic Research AR3A's for Pro-Logic rears

(Music only setup)

Marantz CD Player

Pioneer turntable with Audio Technica cartridge

Hi 12ax7!

It was a long way to this combination with the Fostex: in 1980 I built first the LaScala with with the K33E and a copy of the k400 and the EV T35 (a diy-set from the Swiss ACR), but the bass was not deep enough for me. The result: building the K-horns. I've got the plans from a guy, who had destroyed a Klipschorn to get the right plan.

In 1992 I bought a used LaScala (Original) for cheap price and put these drivers and crossovers in my K-Horn. It sounds good, but I never was satisfied about the mids/highs.

Then I read about the ALK-Xover and bought them. It was a very good improvement and Al made a good job, but some month later I've heard the Fostex combination and was surprised of the sound of these speakers ("that's it!"). I rememberd me, that ACR sold in the 80s a "State of the Art"-Model of the K-Horn with Fostex-Components. But how to get the horns and drivers. ACR does not made the importor for the Fostexs anymore, and these Fostex drivers were not in production by Fostex. I#ve tried to get them used, and there was a way to get them: EBAY.

My first Fostex wooden horn was the H325 with the D450 and the T825 with the ALK Xover.

Really good.

Then I've got the H220 with D221: better!!

Then the T925: better, but the ALK doesn't match this Combi.

I've got the Pioneer D-23: very good!!

Then D586, that's it!!

Now I'm triing the H425 with FD600, because there is a little lack between 5000 and 7000Hz ( The T925 sound really good from 7000 Hz).

My next try is a JBL 2402, I will try it for the H425+FD600 , the T925 will be a supertweeter from 12000Hz.

It is very difficult to discribe the sound, because I havent the right english words, but it sounds better for ME than the Klipsch Mids/highs.

If I get JBL 2440/1 I will try them too, but they are very expensive and very rare in Germany, perhaps I will get them for a reasonable price.

That's the story! It will never ends!

------------------