differences in performance of the SVS CS, PCi, CSU, CS+

tpg

Best value for SVS on a budget: the CS+. 80% of the output of the Ultra, at about 2/3 of the cost. The CS+ uses the old Ultra driver (DB-12) - the Ultra now uses the same driver (TV-12) as the SS (the SVS flagship) does.

Do you know which driver the Ultra review used? If it's the old one, it's the same driver now in the CS+.

SVS Ultra $849

SVS 20-39 CS+ $529

SVS SS $1895

Makes the Ultra look like a bargain, doesn't it? And you know what? It is! (as are all of the SVS, IMHO)

This message has been edited by dndphishin on 06-24-2002 at 05:21 PM

The other issue to consider is whether or not you need an amplifier. The CS lines require an external amplifier - fine if you have one, but an added expense if you don't. The PCi (and soon-to-be-released PC+) have built-in amps, and they're beauties! For my money, the PCi line is the best bang for the buck. The PC+ will have an even better driver (at higher cost), but the PCi (driver for which is already an upgrade over the old PC line) is no slouch. As already stated, you really can't go wrong with any SVS sub, and the summer sale prices are great!

(Disclaimer - I own the "baby" SVS 25-31PCi, and I love it! No regrets at all...U-571 depth charges put a smile on my face every time I hear 'em!)

Someone has a depth charge where the sun does not shine after eating too much fast food.

At 5Hz the output will be poor,no subwoofer made can produce any serious output this low.

Take the SVS Ultra,Velodyne HGS18 name them you will NOT have big output at 5Hz,unless the subwoofer uses dozens of monster drivers and yourhouse as the cabinet. Now where is my 1Hz at 120dB HornEd reference level?

5Hz cwm3.gif LOL cubed

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Minor correction for dndphishin's post: If I'm not mistaken, the DB-12 is a brand new driver made specifically for the "plus" lines. The CS-U origiinally had a TV-12 driver and the SS had a different "top-of-the-line" driver. A couple months ago, the SS driver was labeled the "TV-12" and was placed in the subsequent CS-Ultras as well as the SS. The original TV-12 was discontinued. Therefore, I guess the "plus" subs are now slightly less than 80% of the new CS-Ultras.

I have dual CS+ 16-46 subs and they are more than I'll ever need. IMO the best deal from SVS. Although, I would prefer the PC+ line of subs, and would suggest it instead of the CS+.

I think you're right J Tanman. I had a 20-39CS Plus but couldn't resist when they put the new TV-12 in the Ultra. If I never heard the CS Ultra, I would probably say the plus line is the best value. Now that I have(w/TV-12), I say it's easily the Ultra. Most people would be more than happy with the plus serious for music and HT. It gave all the clean bass I needed to match my RF-3II's and never sounded like it was straining.

After I hooked up the Ultra, I realized what a musical gem it was. Beautifully clean bass with tremendous pressure. I never would have believed it if I someone else told me but beside I could never imagine bass this good for so little.

I went to some high-end audio store in MD to buy my Klipsch. They had a seperate room with more acoustical treatments you could shake a stick at. The sub they had playing in there was a $4500 Aerial Acoustics SW-12(I think that's the model). That was easily the best sounding sub I've heard until I got my Ultra. I was really surpised because I never expected this level of performance. If I could choose(and not have to pay) between the SW-12 or the CS-Ultra, I would choose the SW-12 so I could sell it and get more Ultra's. I'm sure there are better subs out there, but I haven't heard them.

------------------

FABULOUSFRANKIE

fabulousfrankie.

The Aerial SW12 output is in the same range as the Ultra.

The only flaw with the Aerial SW12 is the huge sicker shocker.Besides this it can stand toe to toe with the SVS SS and bests any SVS in finish and cabinet solidity.

Put it simply the Aerial SW12 is built like a tank and in bird eye maple its stunning(second to none).With the Aerial you pay a big part for the finish and exemplary build quality.With SVS almost all goes towards the driver(unless its the SVS SS,a Ultra tuned to 16 Hz really with real wood finish).

Hmmm talking about SVS its time I place an order with them.I was reluctant to buy audio by mail(inet) but I have no alternative with SVS.Well soon,I will get my own Ultras and probably one SVS CS-Plus for my PC! My spare Bryston 4B ST has to work,the lazy amp is cold and useless now.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

TheEar

I agree, that the Aerial takes the cake when it comes to the finish and I don't know much about it's build quality but I'm sure it's excellent. Both are top notch subwoofers, I just didn't expect my ear to prefer the sound of the SVS.

Let us know what you think when you get your Ultra's and CS-Plus(ain't it a bit excessive for a comp). I just saw Ultra's for $799 in the b-stock if you're interested.

------------------

FABULOUSFRANKIE