KLF-20 vs Chorus II

mcp

that's a shame. the stock tweeter diaphragm in the KLF series is the poly diaphragm which is a thin black shiny plastic unit. The poly diaphragm is the worst tweeter diaphragm that Klipsch has ever made in my opinion. The irritation that you experienced was due to the poly diaphragm. I am afraid that you threw the baby out with the bath water. Had you upgraded to a set of phenolid diaphragms the difference would have been immediate the ti diaphragms are even better as you found with the Chorus ll. Best regards Moray James.

Thanks for the feedback mj. I do wish I would have tried that. Funny enough I have kept around a set of the KLF 10s that I have always liked better. No doubt the 20s have what I would call more mids, just no more favorible to my ears. The 10s have the old diaphrams but I should upgrade for the next time I have them in service.

I rember auditioning the 10s, 20s and 30s at the local Sound Advice. I like the 30s but they were priced out of my league at the time so I listened mostly to the other two sets. We were cranking some SRV and the salesman could not stop turning the volume up. Certainly loud but I knew that I would not approach that volume level at home. I could not wait till he left the room so that I could feel comfortable. I prefered the slightly darker sound of the 10s, Purchased them new and still have them today. At one point I had a 5.0 of the 10s. I picked a set of 20s used and expected to fall in love. No dice!

Decision made...I'm going with the Chorus IIs. They are supposed to be in mint condition and have the Crites diaphrams already installed. Thanks to everyone for their feedback...now, the search is on for a suitable tube amp...