Emotiva and Marantz which of these is better?

Salvador

Which one of these is a better amp over all and why? Please help I think I am narowing down my decision on what amp I want to get. If you can please keep my system in mind RF52II, RC62II and RS42s. If its a tie it goes to Emotiva, because its cheaper. Thank you all in advance..

http://www.amazon.com/Marantz-MM7055-5-channel-Power-Amplifier/dp/B003R7KMSI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1L99N9TZCDOUI&coliid=I2TXDPIZBNEMG8

http://www.amazon.com/Emotiva-XPA-5-5-Channel-Power-Amplifier/dp/B008O37E3G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367361551&sr=8-1&keywords=emotiva+5+channel

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What receiver/ processor are you using? Are u sure u have pre-outs to use separates? The marantz amp was the matching amp. To my receiver but I opted to go with an ATI/ outlaw because reviews of the marantz said possibly underpowered in comparison. There is a big following of emotive amps which I feel are comparable to my ATI. Emotive guys speak up. Recruit a new member. Either of these amps will provide plenty of power for your current set up. But it's all about planning for the future. I won't need to buy power again for my home theater set up. But I might need tubes if I get those chorus IIs on Craig'slist. See what happens.

The xpa-5 might be overkill for your speakers but If it was me and i had to pick one of those i would get the xpa-5

I dont mind overkill.. Like most of you here I am now an addict and am sure I will be upgrading speakers. Not soon but maybe in a a few years. If I keep going the way I am I will soon be destitute.

I had the xpa-5 on the rf-82 for a short time and it worked great. If you buy new and get them on sale the emo is a great value that will destroy any avr i have heard. You can buy used and get a better amp for around the same price but then its used. Always + and - to everything. I still think you should get the avr and see how that works.

If it were me I would scratch both ideas and buy an Emotive UMC-200 pre/pro and either get a new UPA-500(5x80) or a used UPA-5(5x125). Right now the UMC-200 is on sale for $599 and the UPA-500 is $399 and you can find used UPA-5s all the time for around $500. That way for $1000 to $1100 you will have much better quality than anything in it's price range and spend less than you would on the Marantz all by itself. Of the two choices I would go for the used UPA-5 any day of the week for just $100 more. Either amp would be powerful enough to push your speakers but the 125 watts would give you more headroom.

AHHHHH!! i finally made the decision to get the XPA-5 and the UMC-200.. I was ordering it through Amazon because they have one year no intrest. They dont have the pre amp on there!! I sent Emotiva an email and they said that they can only sell through Amazon if they have it in stock and ready to ship. Since they are constantly backordered on the pre amp it will be some time before it will be available at Amazon.

Thank you for your email. Klipsch speakers are hyper efficient and do not require massive amounts of power to drive them to their fullest potential. The UPA-500 was designed with speakers such as Klipsch in mind. If you have any further questions please let us know. Thank you for your consideration.

That is the email response from the Emotiva rep. I aske if I should go with XPA-5 and they are recomending I stay with UPA-5. Will the UPA-500 be good enough if and when I upgrade to 82s? I feel like I was pulling the trigger to fast on the XPA-5.

Thank you for your email. Klipsch speakers are hyper efficient and do not require massive amounts of power to drive them to their fullest potential. The UPA-500 was designed with speakers such as Klipsch in mind. If you have any further questions please let us know. Thank you for your consideration.

That is the email response from the Emotiva rep. I aske if I should go with XPA-5 and they are recomending I stay with UPA-5. Will the UPA-500 be good enough if and when I upgrade to 82s? I feel like I was pulling the trigger to fast on the XPA-5.

You absolutely do not need the xpa.If they offered it for the same price, you just don't need it. I had 82's on a upa7 and I thought the speakers would blow apart with volume left to spare.That's just my opinion, after running from 65 to 550 watts per channel on most larger reference floor standers.There is nothing wrong with Mega power, you just don't need it for real listening, if it makes ya feel good that's different......

I think that would be a great fit with a low noise floor. That would be better than 95% of the avrs being sold today. Now...as to a preamp, the Emotiva would be great if you have a pretty good understanding of audio gear/hookup/operation and can deal with updating etc...An avr, while not quite as good (imo) will have more features, easier operation, family friendly ,auto update etc.....If you love music tough it out for the Emo, mostly movies, Onkyo with pre outs.

I think that would be a great fit with a low noise floor. That would be better than 95% of the avrs being sold today. Now...as to a preamp, the Emotiva would be great if you have a pretty good understanding of audio gear/hookup/operation and can deal with updating etc...An avr, while not quite as good (imo) will have more features, easier operation, family friendly ,auto update etc.....If you love music tough it out for the Emo, mostly movies, Onkyo with pre outs

LOL, I just need to hear somebody say with certainty to get the UPA-500, and that it will be fine even if I use the RF-52 system in the future. Then I can dela with the pre amp/ receiver option later I was already buying that preamp though.

Salvador you are over thinking this bro. You have gotten a lot of good advise on what will work. My advise is to get a good avr with pre outs and enjoy it. Down the road if you upgrade speakers get a power amp. But the other advise you have got will work good too. What ever advise you use will be work awesome.