Emotiva and Marantz which of these is better?

Salvador

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

LOL, I just need to hear somebody say with certainty to get the UPA-500, and that it will be fine even if I use the RF-52 system in the future.

Ok, I'll say it.....the UPA-500 will have absolutely no problem driving the RF-52's to insane levels with clarity. Your ears will likely give out before the amp does.

So are you ready to get off the fence yet?

• Moderators

Although this may not be the financial equivalent to buying a car or house, it still is a financial investment and I can't fault hte OP for wanting to gather as much advice to help him in the decision making process. He has been given sound advice from many members. Now he just has to take what has been shared and make a decision.

From discussion on the net and owning an XPA-2, it appears that the XPA line was a higher end line and sounded better than the UPA, better power supply and delivery than the UPA.

If cost is a major factor, most likely the UPA-500 will do you but the XPA is a significant step up.

No, the xpa had more power , it don't sound one bit better than the upa.

did you own both? Blind comparisons? I have read lots of places where blind tests have been done and most people pick the x series amps. Now I know you can't always believe what you read on the net lol but I would also think the xpa-5 would be a good future proof buy cause if he steps up to the 82's they will like that power much more than upa-500 power. Especially is he goes to reference volumes much.

Personally I think the XPA is a much nicer amp for a very little price difference. Both the UPA and XPA are great amps and the UPA will be fine for your current speakers however if you think you will consider upgrading your speakers someday to something larger you may as well buy the XPA now and be over with it.

No, the xpa had more power , it don't sound one bit better than the upa.

did you own both? Blind comparisons? I have read lots of places where blind tests have been done and most people pick the x series amps. Now I know you can't always believe what you read on the net lol but I would also think the xpa-5 would be a good future proof buy cause if he steps up to the 82's they will like that power much more than upa-500 power. Especially is he goes to reference volumes much.

Well.....Emotiva and I agree.Generally with amps a blind comparison offers little in the operating parameter.With the xpa however, if you can hear good there is an audible noise floor

Wait so emotiva told you that the xpa amps are NOT a good match for klipsch Wink. hmm i think i read that on another thread

That's not what he said:

Thank you for your email. Klipsch speakers are hyper efficient and do not require massive amounts of power to drive them to their fullest potential. The UPA-500 was designed with speakers such as Klipsch in mind.

Personally I think the XPA is a much nicer amp for a very little price difference. Both the UPA and XPA are great amps and the UPA will be fine for your current speakers however if you think you will consider upgrading your speakers someday to something larger you may as well buy the XPA now and be over with it.

I agree the xpa to me had a little cleaner sound than the upa-200 to my ears. Plus the xpa amps are built like a tank and will probably last forever vs the upa-200 is like a tin can with a fan inside to cool it. I know we are not talking about the upa-200 here but its in the same family. Also just to point out the upa in my system had way more noise than the xpa did.

Wait so emotiva told you that the xpa amps are NOT a good match for klipsch Wink. hmm i think i read that on another thread

That's not what he said:

Thank you for your email. Klipsch speakers are hyper efficient and do not require massive amounts of power to drive them to their fullest potential. The UPA-500 was designed with speakers such as Klipsch in mind.

Lol hes not going to say their amps are noisy.

I thought the UPA series was the quieter of the Emotiva amps since it has a gain of 29db while the XPA has a 32db gain. Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought the gain is what makes an amp project that "white noise".

With the xpa however, if you can hear good there is an audible noise floor

Not with mine, almost dead silent noise floor and I have excellent hearing that's very sensitive to this form of noise. However I have done a few things to my system to blacken its noise floor and an amp amplifies any noise it receives, my system has a lower noise floor than most.

here is what you need...

MM7055 = 140W (0.08%) and a S/N Ratio105dB

XPA = 200W (0.1%) and no quoted S/N Ratio

You do know 0.08% and 0.10 % are nearly identical. Also if you figure in an error margin they for all purposes would be identical and which one in reality is better could go either way.

• Moderators

You do know 0.08% and 0.10 % are nearly identical. Also if you figure in an error margin they for all purposes would be identical and which one in reality is better could go either way.

Plus I highly doubt anyone can hear a 0.02% difference.