HK 3700

K5SS

Well I know there are a bunch of Harmon Kardon fans here and I haven't really heard allot about this receiver but I just ordered it. Now the waiting game begins. This receiver has some HUGE shoes to fill as it is replacing a Pioneer SC-35 with 140W I.C.E. amps but I have been wanting to get back into a HK receiver ever since I got my RF-63's.

I went and looked at the Pioneer SC-61/65 today and they are no doubt great receivers but couldn't talk myself into buying either for some reason.

Here is my receiver Journey oldest to newest with a rudimentary 1-5 star rating (1 lowest, 5 highest)

Onkyo TX-SR600 ***

Harmon Kardon AVR 645 ****

Pioneer 1012K ***

Harmon Kardon AVR 247 ****

Denon AVR-3808CI ***

Pioneer Elite SC-35 ****

I am VERY worried about the weight on the 3700, it only weighs 21lbs and my SC-35 weighs in at 65lbs... Harmon says " new lightweight digital, Eco friendly amps produce high current 125-watts-per-channel" probably marketing BS but who knows.. Anyway, I will post up my impressions when it arrives.

• Moderators

Congrats on the new unit! I've been a huge fan of HK since my first HK AVR55. They have always been very musical for 2ch listening and I'm REALLY loving my AVR3600 over the UMC-1. This weekend, I noticed how much clearer the center channel is with dialog than the UMC-1.

I cannot speak for the amp in the 3600 or 3700 since I'm using the Parasound 220 x 5 in my setup.

Anyway, I will post up my impressions when it arrives.

Will look forward to your review, especially how well you feel it powers the RF-63's. BTW, looks like you need to update your signature. [;)]

How many speakers will you be using with the 3700? Reason I ask is I had a $1200 Yamaha RX-V1800 rated at 130 x 7. It had no problem driving RF-83's, RC-7 and RS-52's but when I tried 7.1 by adding a pair of RB-35's, the receiver just was not near as dynamic or impactful.

My sig can't keep up with my changes;) right now the 3700 will just be powering my RF-63's until Scrappy decides to sell me his Cherry RC-64... I will be ordering two XPA-3's to power rf-63's RC-64 and three RS-62's. should be interesting.

Congrats and I am looking forward to your review as well. I wouldn't worry about Harman Kardon when it comes to power. My first HK was an AVR-325 and that thing was only rated at 50 watts a channel but it sure sounded like a lot more.

• Moderators

I wouldn't worry about Harman Kardon when it comes to power. My first HK was an AVR-325 and that thing was only rated at 50 watts a channel but it sure sounded like a lot more.

I agree if he is only powering 5 speakers with it. Having 7 speakers is very taxing on a receiver and really reduces the output.

He will have no problem powering the 5.1 system he is building. And with the purchase of the Emotiva amps, he will really allow them to open up.

I agree if he is only powering 5 speakers with it. Having 7 speakers is very taxing on a receiver and really reduces the output.

Yeah I can see that, I never ran 7.1 with mine. I do know that HK under rates their watts though. My 50 watt per channel HK was way more powerful than my 80 watt per channel Denon.

I'd agree with you all. My last two HK amps were super powerful for their low rating but they were also super heavy. Only time will ease my concerns at this point. I just love getting new audio gear.

Decided to swing into a pawn shop today between meetings to see if they had any Reference Klipsch speakers that I might be interested in. They had a RC-52 for $299 (ouch!), RF-62's for $700 (ouch!) and some synergy speakers. Right when I was about to leave one of the clerks asks me "you like Klipsch speakers?" and I said "how' you guess?". He laughed. He told me that a guy pawned a Klipsch subwoofer that was in back and it only has a couple of weeks left and it will be put up for sale. He had my full attention... Low and behold, it's a RSW-15 Cherry (I have Cherry RF-63's now)!! I gave him my card and told him to call me before it makes the sales floor. What are the odds? The clerk said the guy didn't pawn it for much and that he would make me a smoking deal if he never puts it on the floor. Now the waiting game begins again... Sorry for the long story, just amazed at the odds.

I know. There is one on audiogon right now for $899 + shipping. I hope he doesn't use that one as his example. I would just order another Rythmik at that price. I am really hoping for the $500 range.

• 2 weeks later...

Got this receiver yesterday and finally got it hooked up. I can tell you that I am very happy with the sound and am happy to be using HK again. I think the pioneer SC-35 might be a little more "powerful" but the AVR-3700 is a lot more articulate. I valve always been planning on adding another Acurus or Emotiva amp for the 63's and the 64(when I find one). Anyway, very happy with my purchase and if you guys have any questions just let me know.