Emotiva amp for icons

sully141

Emotiva is having a sale so I figured maybe its finally time to get a amp, I called and talked to a rep from emotiva, he suggested 2 choices, 1. UPA-700, 80x7, and if i go with that and bi amp the towers, and then run my center and front surrounds off the amp, and then run my rears off the onkyo 809. or 2. XPA-3, 200x3, and run my surrounds off the onkyo. the xpa-3 cost $200. At first he was about the xpa3 then i asked him about bi amping the upa700 and then he changed his mind and said the upa700 would be the best way. Any words about their X Ref 12 sub.

I used a 200 watt Yamaha M 70 amp for my VF 36's. At louder volvumes, they sounded better with the amp than on the avr. Those are some nice towers, I still have my VF 35's. I like the flower horn and front port on the Icon V speakers. The VC 25 is also a great center. Biamping probably is a waste of time.

• 2 weeks later...

Any words about their X Ref 12 sub.

I have one of their subs and believe that it performs very well. It's small so it fits behind a chair in the corner of my family room. I checked their website today and it's no longer listed though so i'm wondering if it's discontinued.

You may want to check out the Klipsch RW-12D which is now on sale for $280. You could get two of them for the price of an X-Ref 12.

I was looking at the rw12 for 280, but I didn't know if the x ref will blow 1 or 2 of the rw12 out of the water, but I was also looking at the Outlaw subs. Its just hard to decide because specs are different on all of them. x ref is $620, Outlaw when on sale is $599, and then the Klipsch rw12 $280, Is it one of those things you get what you pay for.

Two klipsch RW12's will out perform a single Emotiva sub, not even close. Now the Outlaw at $600 will play quite a bit lower than the klipsch subs but the duals will have a more even room frequency response. I would probably lean towards the Outlaw and add another when you are comfortable dropping another $600. I mainly use my system for movies though so the lower bass comer in handy;)

Thanks, what do you think about the UPA 700 bi amped to my towers idea? UPA700 to small so go with xpa 3?. Somebody said the upa 700 will give a better overall sound quality then just letting the onkyo do all the work.

A good 2 or 3 channel amp will cover what you need really well. I use external amps for my fronts and center with the rest of the speakers on the avr. No reason not to use some of the avr's power. I notice better control of my VF 36's at higher volume with my external amp in the mix. I do think something stronger than 80 watts is needed for HT. Biamp is not that useful. I have tried vertical, horizontal bi-amping and bi-wiring and none of them made a big difference. Setting the speakers as small will better utilize the power for the system and relieved the avr of bass duty that a sub should handle. A good sub will bring the most out in your HT and music experience.

Thanks, what do you think about the UPA 700 bi amped to my towers idea? UPA700 to small so go with xpa 3?. Somebody said the upa 700 will give a better overall sound quality then just letting the onkyo do all the work.

I have outlaw audio 7125 which is 125 w X 7 and it pushes my rf-7s to extremely uncomfortable listening levels and they aren't bi-amped. Your biggest gain here is the fact that you have an outboard amp with a power supply designed way better than that of a regular class a/b receiver. With only 5 speakers, the upa-700 would do you good most likely.

What speakers do you have again?

What budgets are you working with here?