Klipsch Legends

Hipnotic_Tranz

I've been hearing about the legends a lot lately but the Klipsch site doesn't show much of them without havin' to dig around a bit so I was curious on how they compare to other Klipsch speakers? Specifically the reference series? They look a lot bigger and more "industrial" so to speak, so maybe they get louder? I don't know much about them so if anybody can give a breif description about them or how they compare to other klipsch speakers, it would be appreciated Smile.gif

The Legends don't appear that much because they were discontinued in favor of the Refernce Series. You'll probably only se them in the Photo Gallery and listed in the Manuals section.

I can't really compair the two for I haven't heard the Reference line yet, or at least been a dealer's shop that didn't have their nose up their a--.

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

I have owned KLF-30's for over a year now and I have been nothing but throughly impressed with their performance. The only very small complaint I have is I can't seem to get as much bass out of them as I wan't.

SPL is not a problem at all with these speakers. They will play loud and clear louder than you can stand to listen!!

I think the bass is more of an amp situation as anything. I am using an Onkyo TX-DS 797. It does excellent for home theatre, but I am going to keep my eye out for a tube amp for 2- channel stereo music.

Don't get me wrong they do put out good bass, but maybe my expectations are to high. I have a JBL 4638 to satisfy my bass craving for now. I hope to get one of the new SVS's when they come out in the fall.

Benny

mistrass - Thats awfully generous, but I don't have a job right now nor much gas in the car and what money I do get goes to gas Wink.gif Besides, this is just kinda future planning anyway and it probably won't happen anytime real soon... ....just planning ahead a little Smile.gif

I noticed what little they did have on the site and I noticed they were discontinued as well, I just didn't know the reason why. Thanks again...

This message has been edited by Hipnotic_Tranz on 06-28-2002 at 09:43 PM

I got to listen to a pair of KLF-10s not to long ago. Compared to my RF-7s, I found the KLF-10s to be much more aggresive sounding, and they can certainly crank. I also found the bass to be not quit up with the reference series either. Personally, after listening to those KLF-10s, I found I like the sound of the Reference series a bit better. However, a nice Legend setup can be had fairly cheaply (probably much cheaper than a brand-new Reference setup, especially compared to these Reference 7s I have), though, and they do sound impressive enough. If you like that aggresive sound they produce (which is awesome if you like to listen to hard rock), then by all means, get yourself some KLF series speakers.

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

RCA DWD490RE (DirecTV/Ultimate TV receiver)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)

HypnoTranz, the flagship Legend KLF-30's were built as big floorstanding three-way speakers...a horn tweeter, a Tractrix horn mid-range... and two 12" woofers in a dual ported bass reflex enclosure. Like most horn midrange and above designs... they are "in your face" and not very forgiving of poor program material. Had they remained in production, they would have competed in a price range close to the Ref7 line.

The Ref7 is a two-way design with a horn tweeter... but everything below about 2000Hz is carried by a pair of 10" cone woofers (8" in the RC-7's)in a smaller ported bass reflex enclosure. The sound character leans more toward audiophile tastes... accurate, quick and somewhat laid back compared to the earlier more horn oriented offerings.

While my Eight Legend Theater, especially with the KLF-30 center speaker, brings more joy to HT than most Klipsch configurations... the fully horn-loaded voices of my Klipschorns and Belle Klipsch bring me into space that neither my Legends nor the Ref7's can explore.

May your fortunes improve and your ears know horns the way PWK intended. -HornED

PS: Thanks, pierceb you're right, I was thinking of the center which has to take the brunt of DVD movies... and didn't make it clear. Hope this edit makes it clear.

------------------

Pic6.jpg Photo update soon! -HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 07-02-2002 at 02:40 PM

HornEd,

As PB pointed the RF-7 uses two 10" mid bass drivers,not two 8".If the RF-7's are not the "in your face" type then I dont know what in yer face is. LOL

The RF-7's hit almost as hard as the KLF-30's!I can say this because I had both at home before purchasing the RF-7's.Both sound quite good,both can rip over 124dB in my small room and both would not win any Cozy Softie Audiophile award. Wink.gif

The RF-7's upper range is more refined ,to my ears.If I had the space I would have kept the KLF30's,later to be used as proximity minitors with my PC. cwm3.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

the klf-30's are some of the hardest hitting bad a$$ speakers i've ever heard, and i've been in 'the biz' over 11 years. klipsch speakers,in general, have an 'in your face' sound that,through the years, i didn't particularly care for, but MY solution was to turn up the bass(about 3.5dB at 125 Hz,treble at 2.5kHz+1.5). this 'tamed'the mids, and i can listen to them at ANY volume level i want. i prefer classic rock, and these puppys CRANK!! avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center (looking for 1-m.o.klf-20)

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

Natuzzi red leather furniture set

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

I stand corrected (i.e., the erroneous post has been edited), pierceb and TheEar(s)... of course the RF-7 has the 10" woofers... and it is the RC-7 (with the big 75%+ burden of HT sound) that has the 8" woofers... and tapers one of them off for speech frequency clarity.

Maybe its just my hearing, but to me, KLF-30's are so "in-your-face" that I have the cross-over set "SMALL" and temper the improved mid-range with a big dose of SVS Ultra subs. My experience has been like that of the avman. Maybe it is a room size phenomenon, but RF-7's seem less confrontational and more mid-range smooth compared to a KLF-30 set to "LARGE".

While I am not eager to trade the best Legends for the best Reference speakers just yet (particularly at center!), I do believe that Klipsch made the right marketing choice considering trends and the WAF considerations. -HornED

This message has been edited by HornEd on 07-02-2002 at 03:04 PM