Planing a split cornscala.

very cool to have the pilot holes drilled at angle for joining sides. does that technique have a name?

Pocket screw made with a Kreg jig. Works really well.

Carl used this technique to build my sub and it turned out great. No external screw holes to fill.. details here: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/159382.aspx

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Ryan re: the stain. "I tried many different color tests today after assembling cab #2; oil-base walnut stain, water/alcohol base walnut dye, oil-base mahogany stain over walnut stain, etc. Finally went to my library and found a recommendation for Old Masters gel stain. I settled on one that's more red than the walnut, which just looked too dull on the birch. This is Old Masters 'Rich Mahogany' gel - it looks really good without any finish, so once it's top-coated it should really pop."

I will ask him about the screws and joinery.

post-39161-13819856858116_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Justin,

the bass bin is looking really good. that's the Circletrac HF on top, right?

You might have already mentioned what you were planning to do on the top side of the bass bin, but i've missed that.

this should be a good sounding sweetheart.

You're correct as to the horn. I demo my speakers a few times a year for people near LA wanting to hear Dave's horns. The Circle track is a demo piece... I have it hooked up to an iPod to show how efficient these speakers really are. The tops are planed as being planed as Eliptrac 400s/ DE85TNs or DE750TNs with an APT-12-600. Have the APT-12 500 and ES5800 with a switch I know the 2way sound and really enjoy it. Ryan Moses romoses3@yahoo.com or 425-248-8136 has been really awesome in cutting and finishing my cabs. He built some cool cases for 3 amps Im built too. Dave horn fit in the top hats like a glove. Have room to run Faital HF200s or almost anything but the big selenium's.

post-39161-13819857329372_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the lack of extra pics. I will take some tomorrow night.

I have Eliptrac horns form Dave... need sanding and Ive ordered 6 pairs of binding posts.

After that it make be a minute before finished... Need to purchase Eminence 15C woofers or Bob's, pair of Apt-12-600 crossovers and 2 B&C drivers.

I want the promise of the large JBL studio monitors with the more relaxed sound of Klipsch. Having heard this combo before I can tell you its both engaging and very hard tp beat for less than 5K and the efficiency allows use of flea watt amps.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry again everyone for the delays... I have been finish an amp project (3 amps to start selling on my site when ready) and have been sanding horns. I have 4 of Dave's kits.

1 pair to go with his incredible tweeter for a 3 way and 1 set for my 2 way... Im so not one for paint, but multiple coats and a willing ness to sand helps. Ill post a pic later tonight.