Klipsch RF-7ii - bright?

Fiskeren

Just bought a pair of Klipsch RF-7ii. Love the look. But when i crank up the volume I feel like my ears are "bleeding." The speaker is very "bright" Will it get better in time, or is this just the Klipsch horns? If so what can I do to reduce the brightness? Im using the speakers in a small room. 4x4 meters with an open side - kitchen wall.

Amplifier: harman Kardon HK 990

Old speakers . KEF Q900

Sincerely

Jonas

Brightness is related to a reflective room and imbalance between the Hi/LF. The Hi frequency is 3-5 db louder than the low frequency. Did you run room correction and what is the power rating of the avr? This imbalance usually occurrs at higher volume and may be related to a power issues if the speakers are set to large. Others will chime in with possible solutions. Congratulation on the new speakers. They are great speakers and the forum will help you get them setup right.

The Amplifier is a stereo amplifier rated 2*150 8ohm. Not much tuning can be made in this stereo amplifier. Its is not possible to set the size orf the speakers. There is 3EQ setting. I have tried all 3 after using the supplied microphone - didnt like any of the settings so I am running in DSP mode.

Do you use any kind of room treatments? What is on the walls? Floors? How far back are you sitting and are you sitting against the back wall? Are the speakers toe'd in or facing straight towards the back wall? Are the speakers in corners? This will reinforce the bass a little.

The room is usually the problem and you will want some treatments for absorption, diffusion, reflections, etc. For now, throw some rugs or towels in front of the speakers and hang some rugs or something on the walls to tame reflections. Overstuffed furniture can help absorb some of the sound bouncing around around the room.

Welcome to the Klipsch forums and Congratulations on the New RF-7II's.... [<:o)] We'll help get things sorted out, we just need some more info.

Dennie

I do not use any kind of room treatment. Should i try to connect a surround receiver? I cant change/adjust any settings in my stereo amplifier. I can however adjust "as show in the picture above" in my soundcard settings.

Jonas

I am using my computer as a source. Im am using Spdif cable from the Pc to the amplifier. Will it help if I buy a surround receiver and use as a pre amp and my stereo as power amp. I have no way of changing the sound/frequency on my stereo amplifier. All settings must be done in my soundcard "settings" atm.

Unless you are playing back lossless (no compression) music files I can understand why they would be bright. The PC's drive is not what I would call a quality playback source by any means. Your sound is only as good as your weakest link. I think your weak link is using your PC as your source. Changing to a receiver won't make a difference you need a better source than a PC for quality audio playback.

Unless you are playing back lossless (no compression) music files I can understand why they would be bright. The PC's drive is not what I would call a quality playback source by any means. Your sound is only as good as your weakest link. I think your weak link is using your PC as your source. Changing to a receiver won't make a difference you need a better source than a PC for quality audio playback.

I completely agree with this. ^^^^^

Also, the BIGGEST factor is the ROOM! Have you done any "treatments" or used Rugs/towels on the floor/walls?

You can have the best speakers in the world and if they are in a untreated room, they will usually sound bad.

Keep us posted,

Dennie

I agree source is everything with these speakers. If anything is off it will be heard and be loud. Its nice to be able to eq imo. Some people thinks its like putting ketchup on a steak but to my ears it helps a lot. You could buy a stand alone eq (off ebay or somthing) that would help a ton. I would do that before getting a new receiver.

So here is what i use for 2 channel only. This is really nice to my ears.

I'm testing out your eq settings on my RF-7ii's tonight and it sounds pretty good to my ears.

Glad you like it, Im still tweaking and working on it. Its hard with my avr because it makes me go to a separate screen to adjust the eq. So i can't tweak it at the same time its playing music (live eq). Probably the worse thing about these elite avrs imo. Not sure why they do it like this. Im tempted to buy a nice stand alone eq and run it in-between my pre outs and my power amp for the fronts. And then just bypass the eq when I'm running multi channel info.