Help. RF-52ii/RC-52ii OR RF-62ii/RC-62ii in a small 10' X 12' Room

zrill

Hi All,

This is my first posting. Im from Malaysia. Been going through this forum for a couple of months. I have decided to upgrade my speakers.

Firstly my details:

1) Room size is 10' W X 12'L X 9'H

2) Mitsubishi projector with 92" screen

3) Seating position about 11' from screen. Chair right at the back wall

4) AVR: Onkyo 608

5) Sub: SVS PC12-NSD

6) Setup is purely for movies

My current mains, center n surrounds are some cheapo old speakers.

Im not sure which combo should i go with. I hear many says go with 62, but some says go with 52. Im confused. I wrote to Klipsch but yt to receive a reply. I would like to know from the expert from this forum. I do not have the chance to demo both of it as the dealer do not have any demo units.

1) Is the 608 powerful enough to power the 62?

2) By going with 52 what will i be missing, since i have the pc12-nsd sub for the bass?

3) From a blind test do you think you will be able to tell the diff from 52 and 62?

4) Price for the RF52 is USD1100 and RF62 is USD1250. is it worth the extra in my room?

5) Price for the RC52 is USD470 and RC62 is USD620. is it worth the extra in my room?

6) Will i have noticeable midbass improvement from RF62 from RF52?

Looking forward for some expert advice. Thanks

I'm not a real HT guru and cannot comment on RF 52 vs 62 but
have opinion about RC-62II that I recently purchased.

I’m not a supporter of “bigger is better”, but I’ve heard a fraise
“center channel cannot be too big” and completely agree with that.

RC-62 made a huge difference in my set up. I also believe
that front and center channel must be large and set to large in your receiver’s
setting if you want to get realistic, natural, clean and heavy sound.

I tried to switch all my speakers to “small” and let sub
handle all low frequencies and didn’t like it at al

RC-62 capable of producing lower frequencies vs RC-52, so
even if you would go with RF-52, try to get RC-62.

In your room, you could have RF-7's and be OK! I would go with the 62 II's because they are going to pack more of a punch. There is something to be said for the area of the speaker cones themselves and this comes back to physics. Many people say they can't really tell the difference between the 82's and 62's which is a good thing if you want to save some cash. I have always liked the reference 8" driver speakers. They are great stand alone speakers. Personally, i go with the motto "get the biggest speakers you can". I say this because i never, ever, ever want to hear my speakers reach their max output. That for me is the overhead i seek. Your received should do fine pushing them as they are extremely efficient speakers.

I went with the RF-7's because i liked the bigger soundstage they produced. However, Like i said above, i like the RF-82 type speaker an would still be perfectly happy with them as my mains. You along with many other ask the question "which series do I go with" and i always ask what is your budget. Speakers last for a long time, especially well designed speakers like klipsch. They will out last your amps and receivers time and time again.

Personally, i feel that the rf-42 and rf-52 systems are good for rooms where space is more of a concern or you aren't looking for super thunderous output. They also work well in apartment and condo settings where high fidelity is sought but high output isn't a concern for larger rooms. The 52's will blow away the 42's by the way. If you have a subwoofer, you don't need your main towers to output the lows all that much. I am particular and i prefer to run my mains at full tilt along with a subwoofer.

I'm not sure what else to tell you. Everyone hears things different and most people don't have a clue about what they are looking for because they don't have much audio experience to know what they are missing. I have only found what i like because of trial and error and buying things i didn't like. At the days end, a well designed speaker using 8" drivers is what works best for me. I find this to be true and home and car audio.

I have owned every theater from the 42ht up to the 63 home theater in the last five months so I have a very vast knowledge of every model in the line up. I will tell you in my opinion that its betweent those two then I would go with the 62's. the 52's are an unnecessary model to me. They only have a little low end extension that the 42's but you would not be able to pick em apart in a blind test if cut off at 80 to your sub. Now the 62's are a HUGE step up in my opinion. Mainly due to a larger horn. The sound of them is just much larger. Sinus go with the rf-62's rc-62 and prolly would be just fine with the rs-42's in that space.

Thank you for all of your input. Really appreciate it.

Looks like ill be getting the RF62ii and RC62ii. But i do hope the 608 have enough power.

As for surronds, is the rs-41ii ok? As the rs-42 is way out of budget. The speakers will be placed at the side and about 4' above ear level. Horizontal position from the side walls to the listening position is about 3'. I can't place them lower as there is a door on one side. Should i tilt it if its 4' above the listening position?

They will work in that size room. I ran rf-62/rc-62/rs52 for a while off of a low end denon no problem. They will sound fantastic. And before I got the rs-52's ran the front three with a pair of rs-41's in a 13x17 room and they were just fine. Not quite the large sound but they can keep up fine.

You can cross them there but you will be reaching thier limit. I do not know if that would be a problem, I doubt it. I have some small JBL N24's as my rear surrounds and they are rated to 85 and I have them set in the AVR for 80. I have not heard any distortion from them, problem I have is it is hard to hear them since they kind of suck compared to the other speakers, but they are all that will fit in alloted space. My advice to you, which is not worth much, is to get the best speakers you can afford, do not worry about buying them all at once. If size is a constraint then get the largest that will fit, the "impact" of the speaker will be greater. Good quality speakers are something that will last, as long as you take care of them. You AVR will drive them fine, however down the road you will probably get the itch to try seperates, and that is another expense and it keeps growing from there. Everything makes a difference, but I think the best money is spent on good speakers that you will have for a long time. Good luck and enjoy!!

I will go with RS41 then. But is there a huge diff between rs42 and rs41 if i cross them at 80hz in my room?

As for my sub, SVS PC12-NSD, there low bass is great but its lacking the tight midbass in gunshot chest pounding effect. Will the RF62 help on this?

I will go with RS41 then. But is there a huge diff between rs42 and rs41 if i cross them at 80hz in my room?

As for my sub, SVS PC12-NSD, there low bass is great but its lacking the tight midbass in gunshot chest pounding effect. Will the RF62 help on this?

what do you cross your sub over at?

May I know what is the normal master volume leve lon your AVR while you're watching movie? -10dB? -20dB? You're not going to get strong mid bass if you watch movie at -20dB.

To get the strong midbass punch, the mid bass level has to be loud. Mid bass is from 60Hz to 100Hz.

If you want stronger mid bass, you can use an equalizer and bump up the mid bass region...or just run your subwoofer hotter by +5dB. This means: AVR master volume of -10dB and a +5dB hotter subwoofer.

Do reply with your feedback about this volume level.

^ +1. my sub channel set to +3db and “SUB Plus”, front and center
to “LARGE”, x-over 80 and sub gain (on the sub amp) +3- +5 depend on the movie.

Never went over 40 master volume (usually 32-37) and I got
plenty of punch and heavy and tight bass even at low channel level, low gain and low volume.

but I'm not a "bass junkie" so you might crank channel level or sub gaing up if like alot of "BOOM".

I also noticed that when I pushed my sub deeper in the
corner and raised by putting it on the stand I had to turn channel level and
gain a bit down ( from +5 to +3) to keep bass at the same level. Later I found info
that deep carpeting “eating away” the bass and if you would raise sub above
carpet level or would put hard base under the sub you would make bass deeper
and heavier. Also if you would set the sub in the corner you would make rear
ported sub sound bigger and deeper.

For good mid bass punch, it is about moving air which is not always possible in a home theater. Using a PEQ and rasing the 40-50 Hz band will help. Test for midbass with speakers Large and small. Using the Plus and Large speaker setting can result in less bass due to cancellation issues. I get the best bass with the speakers set to small inspite of their size. Lifting a sub off the ground can clean up the bass a bit and will also affect the modes between the floor and ceiling. Corner loading a sub or 1/8 space will increase it output but may result in boomier bass. Sealed subs work better than vented sub in regards to corner loading. Also be careful running subwoofers hot, decreases headroom. To get an extra 3 db means twice the watts.