Think my B&K amp might have an issue...

Shodrewken

Pretty sure this thing just overheated. On my entertainment stand I have latching door that covers my receiver and amp that I usually leave open because there is litte ventilation aside from the open back of the stand. Well I didn't do that tonight and after watching Aliens Resurrection ( better than Aliens 3 imo ) and some TV and I heard this pop sound, then was followed by a electrical smell coming from the B&K amp. From what I could tell before I powered everything off, all the channels were still working properly, but I dunno what damage is done on the inside of the amp. I heard B&K's run hot, but this is borderline crazy how hot this thing got. There was a time or two I didn't keep the front door open on our stand with the Emotiva, and it never got as hot as thing amp did. Looks like its back to the XPA-2/818 combo till I figure out what to do with the 200.7.

Look for burn marks on the CCA's

Even though I have some nice gear, I'm still a newbie when it comes to knowing the insides and out of amps and what not. So please forgive my ignorance, but what are CCA's, and where inside the amp would they be?

Even though I have some nice gear, I'm still a newbie when it comes to knowing the insides and out of amps and what not. So please forgive my ignorance, but what are CCA's, and where inside the amp would they be?

No problem, man. Sometimes people use acronyms that other people don't understand.

CCA's are circuit card assemblies. Also PCB's are printed circuits boards. There are a few other names floating around.

It all depends on the architecture of your amp. My ATI has 5 discreet boards, one for each channel.

Just have to figure out what channel isn't working. Pull that board and send it to a tech who knows those boards. Or back to the manufacturer for repairs.

No problem, man. Sometimes people use acronyms that other people don't understand.

CCA's are circuit card assemblies. Also PCB's are printed circuits boards. There are a few other names floating around.

It all depends on the architecture of your amp. My ATI has 5 discreet boards, one for each channel.

Just have to figure out what channel isn't working. Pull that board and send it to a tech who knows those boards. Or back to the manufacturer for repairs.

Thanks Mongo! Would this be something Craig from NosValves ( is that the right name? ) would be able to fix if something is indeed broken?

Would this be something Craig from NosValves ( is that the right name? ) would be able to fix if something is indeed broken?

I can't answer that. I know he is great with tubes. Not so sure about SS.

Maybe someone else can answer this.

Good luck!

I don't have any expensive equipment and don’t know much
about amps, but since day 1 when I bought my present tv stand (which doesn’t
leave much room for air circulation) I’m using small high-speed homemade fan: two
small PC fans mounted on small bracket and universal power supply.

The fan sits on top of the receiver and pushing air away from
it and directing airflow to the opening on the back.

Easy and cheap insurance policy.

Craig will not work on SS gear. He recomended someone to me when I bought a faulty pre-amp from a forum member that did a great job fixing it. I can probably dig his info up if you need it. I figured if Craig recomended him it was good enough for me.

Carl

If you're having heat issues in that cabinet, you need to look into fan cooling. I have 4 pro amps and an Anthem D2 in an enclosed cabinet with 3 silent 12v computer fans exhausting the hot air. It barely gets warm to the touch and those 5 pieces definitely generate some heat.

Craig will not work on SS gear. He recomended someone to me when I bought a faulty pre-amp from a forum member that did a great job fixing it. I can probably dig his info up if you need it. I figured if Craig recomended him it was good enough for me.

Carl

Okay cool, thanks for the heads up. If you have a moment and don't mind looking up the info for this guy, I would really appreciate it. As far as cooling I have some ideas for some spare computer fans that I have.

Bummer about the amp Andrew. I'm sure you'll be able to get it serviced and working good as new. DIY fans are pretty cheap and easy. If you want something that's plug and play, the Antec fan works very well. i'm using 2 of them in my cabinet.

http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Profile-Component-Theater-Products/dp/B000QJ4ZE2/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1373573903&sr=8-17&keywords=antec+fan

Sherbourn also makes a really slick unit. Reference_Head bought one for his B&K and seems to like it. It's also on sale right now.

http://www.sherbourn.com/collections/accessories

On the ipad so links may not work....Good Luck!

WEB SITE

Paul Hovenga

paulhovenga@att.net

Nice guy and very thorough. The 10 month wait listed on his website is not accurate. He got mine in and out pretty quickly. He's easy to get ahold of via phone or e-mail also.

Carl

Thanks Carl I really appreciate it. I sent Paul an e-mail, hopefully I'll hear back from him soon and we can arrange something.

Bummer about the amp Andrew. I'm sure you'll be able to get it serviced and working good as new. DIY fans are pretty cheap and easy. If you want something that's plug and play, the Antec fan works very well. i'm using 2 of them in my cabinet.

http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Profile-Component-Theater-Products/dp/B000QJ4ZE2/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1373573903&sr=8-17&keywords=antec+fan

Sherbourn also makes a really slick unit. Reference_Head bought one for his B&K and seems to like it. It's also on sale right now.

http://www.sherbourn.com/collections/accessories

On the ipad so links may not work....Good Luck!

Thanks bro, that Sherbourn does look pretty slick. Might have to take a look at that once I figure out a little more about my amp situation.

You may have found this already but just in case..............

If you require immediate assistance, or would like specific product information please contact B&K Customer Support Center at: 323-278-0001.

B & K Components, Ltd.
1749 Chapin Road
Montebello, CA 90640
tel: 323-278-0001
fax: 323-278-0083

4) I have an older product that needs service, who do I contact?
Eastern Elite Audio Video is set up as the exclusive service center for all out-of-warranty repairs. They are former B&K employees, so they know the products thoroughly. E-mail: george@ee-av.com or call: 716-240-7458.