H/K AVR146 W/Quintet

billybob

Hello HT folks,

Do you think this combo would suffice for a small HT area? I do realize I will need at least a very small 8 incher like Velodyne or Klipschsub to go lower than 125 to get some bass effects. Thinking I can do this for a friend who is having problems with his set-up(Insignia avr with small floorstanding bookshelf Sony's and an Aiwa pressed into a center speaker). The H/K receiver (lower end)has some good and bad reviews but thinking this may be a major upgrade. The equipment I would purchaes is used but good/great shape.

Not having heard Quintet, do you have anything I can use?

Yes absolutely. This is perfect. You will absolutely love it if you havnt already hooked it up and been loving it. Get some good cables...from each component to the 146 as well as good speaker cable. If you dont have good rcas&speaker cables save up and do so. also be sure to get a power conditioner before running it full time. if you have more questions bing or google or search. Cause if you do what i mentioned you will lower the possibility of issues down the road, avr146&quartets=happy happy happy! Anything else just hollar. if it dont sound good let us know. cause it should sound great and somebody here can help. cheers my freind![Y]

I'm thinking with a used set of quintets and a low end receiver money might be better spent on a good sub rather than "good" cables and power conditioners. IMO of course

I agree, get yourself a nice little sub to compliment your new speakers.

Fancy wires can be purchased later if needed.

Thanks folks for re[lies.

Alas, he is not allowed to have a subwoofer(WAF)...unfortunate cause I did find some forum talk here discussing the combo. Had even found a decent used 8 inch Velodyne for cheap. Understand the he would not have much bass at all at 125hertz. He still has 4 Sony speakers I got him awhile back so, at least he will have some low end. He had an HT already but with an Insignia AVR that has bit the dust. Got the H/K and hooked it up here and it is a definite upgrade with the bells and whistles like x-over settings, dimmer, an setup OSD. I will consider getting him some Klipsch bookshelfs in future, like KG's.

Thought about the Quintets for me but, I may not be allowed bass either[:o]

dont run didital run rcas. maybe try opticle cables to hear it but rcas will allow more significant bass off the 146. sounds like a clean setup. put bass at about 50% and treble right at 100% and they will do what they do.

dont run didital run rcas. maybe try opticle cables to hear it but rcas will allow more significant bass off the 146. sounds like a clean setup. put bass at about 50% and treble right at 100% and they will do what they do.

The dude will be running HDMI from cable box for video and RCA's for audio. They are decent cables cause, I furnished.

Thanks!