Crossovers

Tuck1186

I'm building a pair of cornscalas using:

Selenium D220Ti drivers

Selenium HM 11-25 horns

Faital HF200 mid drivers

M2380 horns

CW 1526CF woofers

I've been looking for a set of extreme-slope crossovers. Was told "the steepest slope we can do for you is 24db. How would I calculate exactly what I need.

Thanks

Not sure what you're asking - do you want to design your own 24dB/octave filter or are you saying you want something steeper? No matter, you'll need a book on crossover design (or some nice modeling software), a calculator, a pencil, and a razor blade. Seriously, anything discussed here in an attempt to help you isn't likely to cover everything you need to know to carry out a successful design - unless they really know their stuff and have a lot of free time. If you want to go steeper, you can add amps and go active, or contact Al at ALK Engineering - 120dB/octave should do the trick. I believe he provides the DIY plans for the whole network except the tweeter section, which you would have to purchase.

The first step in 'designing-crossovers-without-measurement' is to obtain access (borrow or buy) to measuring equipment, then learn to use it.

I am not kidding.

The next step is to fill a cardboard box with two of every capacitor, inductor, and resistor that Madisound sells.

The next step is to buy a couple of dozen heavy gauge clip-lead sets.

Buy a copy of Vance Dickason's 'Loudspeaker Design Cookbook'

http://www.amazon.com/Loudspeaker-Design-Cookbook-Vance-Dickason/dp/1882580478

A pole is 6dB/oct and has 90* phase shift.12dB has 180* and when in
phase cancels at the crossover point leaving a hole.If you hook one of
the drivers out of phase the hole goes away but it doesn't sound right.18dB
either leads by 90* or lags by 270* at the crossover point.While flat
connected either way it doesn't sound right.24dB has 360* and is flat
and sounds right.It is possible to correct for the phase funnies in 12
and 18dB crossovers by using a filler driver.A 12dB with filler is the best I have heard.

A LR24 crossover (Linkwitz Riley 24dB/oct) might be a 12dB low-pass on a woofer with an 18dB high-pass on the HF driver. The transfer function is the combination of the acoustic response of the drivers and the electrical response of the network.

http://db.audioasylum.com/mhtml/m.html?forum=speakers&n=236517&highlight=pole+djk&r=&search_url=%2Fcgi%2Fsearch.mpl%3Fsearchtext%3Dpole%26b%3DAND%26topic%3D%26topics_only%3DN%26author%3Ddjk%26date1%3D%26date2%3D%26slowmessage%3D%26sort%3Dscore%26sortOrder%3DDESC%26forum%3Dspeakers

Since he's buying all of his parts from Bob, I would imagine Bob has a network or two to support those components.

Actually, I don't have a crossover for that combination. I spent a few days trying to make a crossover work for using the HF200 as a midrange and the 220Ti as a tweeter. What you have there is essentially two wide range HF drivers with the HF200 being good from about 400hz to 20khz and the D220TI being good from about 1khz to 20khz. Let's say you want to cross them at 6khz. You have both of them at full output at that frequency, so you have to cut off the HF200 very sharply and bring in the D220 just as sharply. The parts count gets pretty high in the crossover to do that. And in the end, what matters is the acoustic output. I just never got that right in the 10 or so tries I made, even though the circuilt "looked" like it should work. I might give that another try sometime.