Dear
kindred_images_and_creations,

can you provide some testing info
on how the response is .
they look nice ,but looking nice & sounding
nice are two different things .

his answer ;

We did test them in a friends studio a couple years ago when I made the first
pair and they had enough of a range to replace the k77. But didn't think I would
market them and didn't print it off.

To be honest I have all kinds of
speakers with a flat response but I always end up listen to my la scalas and we
both know they don't look very good on paper lol.

What these tweeters do
you won't see on paper, you have to hear them, everyone I talk to says the same
thing, they are less harsh, and sound silky smooth in comparison to the k77.
Some even say improved imaging but I don't hear it.

I'll give you two
weeks with these bad boys if you don't like send them back in the same condition
I'll refund your money. I don't want you to be disappointed with these, I'm not
marketing them for a career if I was if still them for a lot more money. I'm
marketing them because I love the way they sound and want others to enjoy as
well.
I will work on a new graph soon.
Thanks Jesse Lowell

-
kindred_images_and_creations

and my concerns ....

myself I running 2 ways at the moment & have no way to try these out

I'm interested but I have to hear back from someone on the forum who would have these in hand & try them

I
am thinking of having my speakers as a 2 way & 3 way thru a
switch that ALK has as a option for his system on his networks

that is down the road some for me as I'd have to get the tweeter part of his networks to even try these

they would match my Eliptrac-400 but looks are not a prime importance to me .

What I do find concerning is his mounting & the apprent tube before the horn actually starts .

any way will see how he responds :) they are interesting to say the least

I wonder if he would just sell the horn minus the driver ?

Thanks Fastslappy for sending the message to him. Seems fair enought if he will take them back after you try them. Someone need to try them and test the results. I know the wooden horns I bought for the mids on la scalas was a great upgrade and ti's very easy to hear the difference in the sound.

The APT-50 that I use is the original APT-50. When
Eminence did the new APT-50-2, I tested it and found it just not good
enough to use. Eminence agrees that it should only be used with in an
active crossover situation. It's response curve is pretty bad. Anyway, I
went to the orignal manufacturer of the APT-50 in Poland and now they
make it for me.

Here is a link to the response curve of the new APT-50-2: This is the one they are using on the wooden horn.

http://www.eminence.com/pdf/APT50.pdf

Here is the curve for the original APT-50 that I use:

http://www.critesspeakers.com/apt50.pdf

Guest David H

I like them, absolutely beautiful work. Something about Elliptical gets me wide eyed every time.

Looks like that tweeter is a drop in replacement too....... Awesome.

That said, I do have some concerns!!!

I agree with Bob, the driver used is questionable, but that is easily enough rectified by going to a better driver. But will a better driver fit in your application?

What concerns me most is the transition from the driver to the horn, it may be ok, but I don't like using any adapters on tweeters, the transition should be seamless as possible.

Dave

I do have some concerns!!!

What concerns me most is the transition from the driver to the horn, it may be ok, but I don't like using any adapters on tweeters, the transition should be seamless as possible.

Dave

that looks to be a off the shelf adapter with short tube into a 4 bolt hole flange/mounting plate that he whacked over hanging sections off .

seem that just a 3/8 thick material that is threaded to the driver size so the opening of the driver meets the start of the horn is needed

IE; how ever deep the threads are on the driver's neck then that would be how thick the material would need to be ,if you catch my drift .

"What concerns me most is the transition from the driver to the horn, it may be ok, but I don't like using any adapters on tweeters, the transition should be seamless as possible."

EDIT: Yes, the driver is seated way too far back, I don't see how that could possibly work.

The first plot is of the original driver without a horn on it.

The second plot was generated with the driver attached on a 90 x 40 bi-radial horn.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=290-555

We shouldn't expect there to be much similarity, should we?

What we would need to see is the original driver with your horn on it compared to the new driver with your horn on it. Yeah I know, I'm a pain. Sorry.

Guest David H

that looks to be a off the shelf adapter with short tube into a 4 bolt hole flange/mounting plate that he whacked over hanging sections off .

seem that just a 3/8 thick material that is threaded to the driver size so the opening of the driver meets the start of the horn is needed

IE; how ever deep the threads are on the driver's neck then that would be how thick the material would need to be ,if you catch my drift .

I was thinking eliminate the adapter altogether and use a bolt on driver.

post-24405-13819858160448_thumb.jpg

"The first plot is of the original driver without a horn on it."

What would make you think that? I don't think that is correct since that driver's curve looked much like that on several other horns I tried it on.

When Eminence sent the orignal APT-50 out to the far east to have tooling made, they wanted an exact clone with the exception of going to a standard 1 3/8 screw on mount instead of the proprietary Tonsil thread mount.

Anyway, the new drivers curves were so bad on every horn I tried it on, that I just thought something was wrong and did not save any of them. I told that to Eminence and they said they would test to see what was going on. They got similar curves but said that they were not going to work on it any more since it was good enough to use with an electronic crossover. Then they did the new PDF and showed the curve for the new driver. Up until that time, they were showing the curve for the original driver as being the curve for the new driver.

That is when I made the connection directly with Tonsil in Poland and getting the orignal drivers from them.

Now, I will say that I have not tested one of the APT-50-2 drivers since they came out in 2009 and they could test a bit different now. But, Eminence has not changed the published curve, so I doubt the driver has changed.

I got your links reversed. The first plot (new driver) tells you the horn they used for the test. The second plot, the one for the original driver, doesn't tell you what kind of horn -- but it does say "on test horn" in the specs, which I didn't see when I first looked at it. It doesn't matter, the only thing that matters is the response of the driver on your horn.

I was thinking eliminate the adapter altogether and use a bolt on driver.
that's the best solution yet