Subwoofer recomendations for La Scalas

Rusty Melton

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Klipsch life hit me up with an email I can send some pics of my current build if you'd like.

I hope you post a build thread! Usually reading one keeps me from building another sub that I don't needStick out tongue

Carl

i will! I won't be anything crazy as I don't like changing all the settings on my nice camera to be able to post in here. So a few cell phone pics is gonna be it.

Thanks CECAA850 that's some great building there man, wow. I wish I had room and tools/skills in my tiny studio apt. Are you doing the build for the Dayton 18" driver as well?

I have no curreny builds in progress. The F-20 was for another forum member. When I have time, I think I might build something for my son as he just moved into a house. He has a little 8" ported Infinity sub so he could use a little more in his living room.

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I'm probably not looking to build anything myself, but my wifes brother is a cabinet builder so I think he could probably build one. It would have to be a very simple build for me to ever attempt to tackle something like that. I was wondering thought on those diy subs is there some sort of crossover to filter out the highs? I sort of like the simplicity of just driving up and buying scrappydue's SVS, I'm sort of lazy like that, lol. Do you guys have any opinions on what type of sub is the most musical, I'll never use it for movies, only music.

Carl that sub is stunning, you did a fantastic job on it! That thing looks like glass, very pretty.

Carl that sub is stunning, you did a fantastic job on it! That thing looks like glass, very pretty.

Thanks.

I have an Anthem pre-amp with my Lascalas. It has a built in 70 Hz cut off (high pass filter) on the subwoofer output if selected. The sub on my patio has a plate amp with an adjustable high pass filter. Both subs are used for music only so I never bothered with a low pass filter.

It's funny when we consider a cabinet this size "small".

•Cabinet Dimensions: 22" (H) x 20.5" (W) x 27" (D)

I know it is small compared to many of the DIY builds so if your wife complains just show her examples of what you COULD have bought.

Let us know how you like it!

I know it is small compared to many of the DIY builds so if your wife complains just show her examples of what you COULD have bought.

Let us know how you like it!

Small at 155 lbs., lol. Most of the guys on this forum are a lot stronger than me, I don't like lugging around large subs and speakers. Pound for pound, us Klipsch fans have some of the largest systems by a fair margin, he he! Maybe for fun I will start a thread, how much dose your system weigh.

Well had a nice time meeting rusty and his wife. He got to see my current sub build and check out my new theater setup. We did a couple movie demos and a bit of music. And of course they are on their way home proud owners of a SVS PB-13 ultra. Hope you love it rusty.

Steven,

I've been home for a few hours and it's just fantastic, and so darned pretty! I'll post pictures of the set up once I get things in order. I love your theater very much and now my wife wants one, I'm totally shocked.... she's very hard to impress. I have to admit that screen is so cool in so many ways, I like that you can hide speakers behind it. It's looking like the pool table is coming down and the theater is going to be coming in the near future, I never imagined that I would ever want one but that giant screen is just to cool not to do it. Thank you for you for showing me your gear, it really did make my day!

Well I am happy and I don't feel bad since you said you don't play pool much. Win win for you and the wife. When you get started let's get together and discuss ideas I would be more than happy to come down and lend a hand and to check out your fisher powered Cornwalls and of course see how the Svs plays with the la scalas. Have a good one rusty. Can't wait to see the pics.

Sounds like you had a great day, Rusty!

Does the SVS have a continuously variable phase control? It doesn't look like it has speaker level inputs. Are you using that center channel output from the Scott to this? I confess I've been looking at subs off and on ever since I sold my Sunfire. I don't know how long I will be able to resist... I just think you need to have that bottom end for more realistic sound. I just can't stand a sub that I "notice" (I mean to hear.. not look at).

I'll take two, please!

The Svs has all the bells and whistles you could want. It has variable phase control in 10 degree increments controlled digitally as well as TWO parametric EQ's and also room gain compensation. As soon as rusty gets some measuring equipment over he should be able to get that baby ruler flat and play beautifully with his la scalas.

Hey Cameron,

We had a wonderful day, really nice drive and Scrappydue is a super nice guy! I am using the center on the Scott, not sure if that's the best way to hook it up but it seems to work great. I thought after the Sunfire bit the dust that I could just live without one but after a week I was on the hunt. I know what you mean about noticing the sub and I don't notice this one like I did with the Sunfire. I think the upper bass is more musical with this one, it really blends in well. If you ever want to drive down to Cape Fair, just hop in the car come down and you can play with this one to your hearts content. I'd love to have you come down! And yes you might need two to go along with your systems, one thing is for sure two would for sure fill in the bass!