KPT-12-VB for Home Theater?

COACH10810

I am curious if anybody has used these or any of the other surrounds(KPT-1201 or KPT-250)in a home theater setup. Lately, I have been looking at upgrading my current surround speakers(RS-62II) to something a little bigger...

Also posted this under the PRO forum, but thought I would see if anybody on here would have any input.

Any feedback would be great.

Thank you

Rudy81 runs KPT-12-VB on the sides and KPT-1201 as rears.

I just got my hands on some KPT-100 http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/175549.aspx (I think there are some left) and I am inthe process of hanging them (http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/175961.aspx)

Thank you for the information. I looked up his room and it is similar to mine in size and layout.

Probably going to email him and ask him a few questions.

How you liking your dual si's? I'm just waiting on the duratex and amp to get here thn my four will be up and running.

They are pretty darn impressive. The guy who built them for me did a heck of a job on them. I am still running that single HSU VTF-15 up front next to one of the Dual 18's until my third box is done. ;-D

I will say that I do miss a little of what the HSU did ported versus a completely sealed setup like I have now. Overall though, MUCH, MUCH more in overall performance going this route.

I'm still running those and have never thought of using anything else. Probably the only speakers I have never changed once I installed them. They do an excellent job of dispersing sound and are just outstanding for sound effects.

They are large, so a dedicated room is almost a must, unless WAF is not an issue.

I don't think you can go wrong with the 12-VB for side effects....they are just fantastic....you just don't know they are there when listening to a movie.....which is just what you want.

So you will end up with THREE dual opposed boxes?or do you just have one dual 18"?

Yes, I will end up with three DO boxes for a grand total of 6 18" SI drivers. Each will be getting 2000 watts.

If I can swing it, I will possibly add a fourth....but that will be down the road.

I'm still running those and have never thought of using anything else. Probably the only speakers I have never changed once I installed them. They do an excellent job of dispersing sound and are just outstanding for sound effects.

They are large, so a dedicated room is almost a must, unless WAF is not an issue.

I don't think you can go wrong with the 12-VB for side effects....they are just fantastic....you just don't know they are there when listening to a movie.....which is just what you want.

Appreciate all the feedback on this.

I am going to move forward with the upgrade as soon as I can determine if the 12-VB's will fit on both walls. One wall has no issues, but the right side might be a problem. The 8-VB's are an option as well. In talking to guy at Klipsch, he still thinks the 8-VB's would be a considerable upgrade over the RS-62II's...

Then I have the decision to make on the back surrounds....most likely the 1201's will be what goes back there. Yet again, I have to make sure I have the proper space to install them.

Anybody have a good place they recommend to purchase these? I have a few options, but wanted to see if any additional ones pop up.

I just got my hands on some KPT-100 http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/175549.aspx (I think there are some left) and I am inthe process of hanging them (http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/175961.aspx)

I corrected the link to the KPT-100's I have for sale. I cannot say how they compare to the Reference speakers you have, but they sound pretty good. I have 8 KPT-200's, but I have plans to use them myself to replace 3 LaScalas I am currently using for my side surrounds and single rear surround. If I change my mind, I will post them for sale in the GS area. One way or another I will either be selling them or 2 or 3 pairs of LaScalas.

The speakers you are going to mount are massive, and you have to mount them into the studs. Drywall itself is not strong enough to support a 56 LB speaker cantilevered out from the wall. If you cannot mount directly to a stud, you will need to add a wood mounting support between the studs to screw into. Here is a video about how to hang a sink in a bathroom. It's about the same weight as one of the VB's:

. Go about a minute into the video. If you do not wish to cut into the drywall, then affix a mounting support board on this side of the drywall and paint it to match the drywall.

With the KPT-100's I have, you can put them on a shelf. They will freestand. They weigh 26 lbs each.

To clear things up a little on mounting, here is what I did.

Are they heavy? Yes, and they are rather difficult to maneuver by one person when hanging, so be careful.

So, you must secure them to the studs. The issue is that the built in, threaded, mounts are very close together, so you can't easily mount to studs in a standard 16" spacing in a home.

Also, most mounts are going to hang the speakers away from the wall by at least 5 or 6" and that did not work in my room, these things were large enough already. So, I decided to use the heavy duty rails and hanging system available at Lowes or HD. It mounts like a French cleat, keeps the speaker very close to the wall and is more than strong enough to support the speaker.

This allowed me to attach the main support rail to the studs with large lag bolts, then space the vertical rods as dictated by the speaker mounting hardware. It has worked very well for over 3 years. Neat thing, is that if you need to take a speaker down, it can be done quickly.

post-10337-13819858886276_thumb.jpg

Here's what it looks like before paint and working on making the rails 'disappear' with paint and trimming as required.

BTW, to get an idea of size, that is not a standard door, it is wider than your average home door. I think this is why they rarely work anywhere WAF is an issue. A dedicated room is almost a requirement.

post-10337-13819858886946_thumb.jpg

That is excellent Rudy!

I hung one KPT-100 by mounting it on 1/2-inch baltic birch plywood, and then mounting the plywood using metal french cleats. But I had several wood reinforcements within the wall to screw the french cleat into.

For the second KPT-100, I had access to the other side of the wall (not an exterior wall). I cut through the sheetrock on the access side and secured a piece of 1/2-inch baltic birch plywood between two studs after I had already drilled my mount holes through the sheetrock (so I knew exactly where to place the plywood without measuring). Then I drilled through the plywood and used the supplied bolts to secure the speaker. Gives a nice flush mounting without any hanging gear showing.

LL