KLF 30 or BELLES

I am replacing a Pair of KLF 30 that I have had for about 6 months with a Pair of Klipsch Belles that I came across last week the set is from 1985.

I have heard conflicting comments do you guys think that I will be happier with the Belles?

and are the KLF 30 just junk like everything else that Klipsch is putting out now.

I have been a Klipsch guy since my youth.

I do like the 30s but I have not heard the belles.

they are going to be driven with a B&K REF 3220 along with a center KLF-C7 the rears are a pair of RB5 those are ok

You bought a pair without listening to them? That's quite the leap of faith...

Whether you find the Belles "better" or "worse" than the KLF30 is very much a matter of personal preference. You will certainly find them *different* from just about any other speaker you might be familiar with, unless you've had prior exposure to one of the other full range horn models (KHorn or La Scala.)

Your fist impression is likely to be equal parts of "Wow! These things are open and clear and dynamic and lifelike like nothing I've ever heard!" Biggrin.gif and "Uh, jeez, where's the BASS?" Mad.gif

The KLF30 will stomp all over the Belle or La Scala in the deeper bass, and if you play a lot of music or home theater with a lot of bass content, and you had it cranked up with the KLF's, don't be surprised if the Belles seem lacking. Give it some time, and you'll find that the bass you DO get will be of an entirely different character than you were getting. The fully horn loaded bass of the Belle is much more dynamic, and much more accurate (lower distortion) than the KLF bass, it just doesn't go nearly as deep (the Belles roll off very rapidly below 50ish Hz, depending upon room and placement.) Particularly given the large size of the cabinets, this catches some people by surprise.

Let us know what you think after you've got em going?

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

I have heard the KLF-20s and liked them. I have 4 La Scalas and a KLF-C7 for my HT. I think you'll find the KLF-30 have boomier, deeper bass. You may miss that aspect of the KLF-30s after switching to the Belles. OTOH, the Belles will be cleaner and purer sounding. They will sound more realistic. Acoustic bass notes will be presented as clean and accurate so that you think the instrument in in the room.

I also think you're characterization of the Legend and Reference series a bit harsh. You own several of them, have they been that bad?

John

Ray,

I have little to no experience with the Legend or reference lines but I dont think most of us would consider them junk. I do have experience with the Heritage line, specifically LaScalas and Heresys and IMHO its a matter of personal preference. The Heritage line is sometimes accused of being too "bright". I personally like bright. Also dont overlook the dimensional differences. That Belle is wide compared to the KLF-30. That probably doesnt help much but good luck. Let us know your impressions.

Dan

------------------

Danartdis system

HK AVR 500

Heresy mains

Heresy rears

Academy center

JBL 4638"sub"woofer

PE 250 watt sub amp

Get a good sub to go with those Belles, and you'll probably never look back! Smile.gif

The clarity you will get with the Belles will have you sitting there breathless, if you have never experienced fully-horn-loading before!!

Enjoy!!

------------------

I can now receive private messages

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 07-01-2002 at 06:28 PM

My current Klipsch collection consists of KLF30's Cornwall II's, and LaScalas as mains. I originally got into Klipsch because of the KLF's. They have a live, edgy sound unlike all the other speakers at Sound Advice. I had them in my main room with a C7 center until I found a pair of Cornwalls. The Cornwalls replaced the KLF's because they seem to me a little more musically balanced. They go lower than the 30's and the crossover points seem smoother. The LaScalas currently reside as my mains now. They sound awe inspiring, smooth, crisp, clean at all volume levels. It has only been a couple of weeks with them and they will eventually move into my 2 channel listening room. They definately don't match the C7 center and a 3rd LaSala for my home theater is out of the question. If you like rock, blues or anything normally played at higher volume, go for the KLF's. If you like jazz, classical, or want to hear the saliva gurgle in the singers mouth, take the Belles.

rayc, did you get rid of the 30s? i'd use those in place of the rb. imo any rb, rf, rp or rc are a much lesser timbre match to heritage than klf.

in fact when i ever get my khorn mains w/ a belle or lascala center (some day), i plan on using my klf-30 as rear surround between side cornwalls. my klf-30, C7

and cornwalls timbre match-up pretty d well.

anyway, w/ that b&k i'm sure you'll like the belle mains along w/ that capable sub. ;-)

------------------

My Home Systems Page