2way vs 3 way( inner demons)

McMiRA

So I have read many threads in many forums about this subject and now I'm back here at home where I belong to ask those who's opinions i value. I have seen some say 2 way is the only way, then others claim no, 3 way or more is best, then the purists chime in with single driver is the way it was meant to be due to timing and blah blah blah. I guess where the is going is i can't get Rudy's posts out of my head with his oris horns and later half Orellos. They are simply beautiful. ( yes im lusting) My OCD has me hung up on the looks of the symmetry of the ( origional) Orellos, it appeals to my inner demons, but currently my home only allows said demons to live in (2) 3x3 footprints flanking the sides of the fronts in my existing synergy 3d room. This being said i have a pair of LSI's residing here for 2 ch pleasure. They have the crites ct125s and bobs fine crossovers ran off a Lafayette tube amp but I know I'm still missing out on something. I know the room is very imperfect, this is obvious every time i step outside and the system gains low end on the back patio or even across the yard. i have yet to treat this room but I'm compelled to take the tangband/oris route and try 2 way on the la Scala bass bins. Being that I spent the majority of my life as a composite fabricator I'd really love to mock up a plug and form up some carbon fiber oris clones but I have no clue where to start on the curves. I guess what I'm looking for is a push in any direction with a why and possibly a how. The forms are no problem, I can build them in my sleep, and even the setup of the final product is rather elementary for me. I had even considered a "round one" with paper horns due to upfront expense to see if its the direction I want to travel( paper mâché is far cheaper than epoxy resin) . I realize for now this is going to require an active crossover and another amp.im not scared of the fabrication, its what my hands were meant to do. My largest concern is mathematically, say on the meter( which i do not currently own),is there Truely a positive gain other than the experience and not just the placebo affect. This will inevitably snowball into something much bigger. Currently I plan on feeding this idea 150 watts, if budget permits then It will gain another amp and be biamped. I don't know if this changes efficiency and output since technically its double the power, but yet isn't a real gain since its splitting duty. All I have ever known is how to create spl so this is definitely a far different road for me.

When I get back to Jax, I'll bring one (or both if they'll fit) of my K402's to your place. I'll bring a crossover and well hook one up so you can listen side by side. If you like it we can set the second unit up. This might be the closest attempt at A/B that we can do on the fly.

If you take me up on the offer, I wont be back to Jax until after Memorial Day.

Absolutely! I had contemplated a square tractrix ran off a full range 8 to fit the look of the la Scala. I think idle hands are the problem here, I'm still waiting on the rest of my gear to receive a verdict from the lightning strike so I have been spending free time listening to 2 ch since the theater is down for now. Again thank you for the offer.

I'm still low budget. All of my receivers are integrated less my tube amp that only has 2 ch. maybe could trick one of the receivers by using the 7 channel inputs to get 4 amplified channels to crossover from a source but even at that it is still rca.

I think I can cover RCA to XLR conversion. Does your system have a pre-out and then inputs for each channel?

Might be easier to chat on phone when I get back, this fingertyping on a screen is rough on me. I'm much faster on a keyboard

• Moderators

When I get back to Jax, I'll bring one (or both if they'll fit) of my K402's to your place. I'll bring a crossover and well hook one up so you can listen side by side. If you like it we can set the second unit up. This might be the closest attempt at A/B that we can do on the fly.

He is in trouble

• Moderators

Mark, just so you know... I just showed your picture above to my wife.... She about fainted stating that she felt sorry for your wife. I think that warrants two thumbs up! YesYes

And she thought your Jube's were big, Mark is not playing around, I would love to hear those outside. [Y]

My wife loves it. It keeps me at home at least some of the time.[:D] It's also in the right place in the basement that she can be in her office or asleep and I can be jammin'..........she can barely hear it.

The pictures are more intimidating than the sound. I run it seriously "de-fueled". It's very quiet, super low noise/low distortion, and excellent fideltiy. It can be a ***** cat or a monster.