Adding an amp to an AVR

kde

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is true that speakers set to Large benefit from a power amps in the lower frequencies. When the speakers are set to Large, there is less damping of the driver, more cone breakup due to the driver having to reproduce a larger frequency band, more back EMF from the low bass and up to a 6 db decrease in midbass dynamic range compared to setting the speakers to Small. All of this may not be audible in a particular system.

A good sub should out perform Large speaker since it can play the lower frequencies cleaner. When the .1 or LFE was made in the late 70's or early 80's it was because speakers could not cleanly reproduce the lower frequencies and subwoofer became popular.

In the end, some people have a great system using only an avr and others have great systems with the added power amps. I like my speakers set to Large which is the only choice I have with the 2 channel Yaqin amp and 2 channel setup with the speakers set to small with the Pioneer. I favor the 2.1 channel setup.