klipschorns

loudandclear

loudandclear

welcome to the forum!

note sure if there is a consensus on the best year for Klipschorns. They are all pretty amazing. There are some crossovers i hear some folks don't care for as much as others. not sure what years those were. it's an issue easily dealt with for those who are concerned.

it's just a personal preference, but i wouldn't want linseed oil on my oiled walnut khorns. I have a linseed oil finish on a pair of Heresy. it's ok, but prefer the old oiled walnut finish.

linseed oil , you have to be care how you handle the rags that you apply that stuff when you are done

as the rags can catch fire all by themselves , spontaneous combustion it's called

Many people have burned down their house by being careless with the left over rags

any left over rags must be placed in a metal container dosed in water away from a structures .

just dosing in water in not enough as when the water dries they still can catch fire from the oil .

I say all this outta safety for everyone who reads this .

I myself have had these rags catch fire on me , I was lucky that I caught the fire just as it was starting to burn the side of my house

as I had placed the rags in a plastic pail next to the garage , I feel i was dbb lucky as it was a weekend & I did my wiping early in the day

And I was still puttering around the work area when I turn a corner with flames licking up my outside wall

Had I been doing the oiling in the evening it would have been a personal disaster .

just to touch on this a bit more i am ok with the watch rejuvenating oil but i noticed the 77 heresys i have has a smoother finish to the touch and i found out the previous owner used either BLO or tung oil but my speakers seem to have a less than that same smoothness feel. they look great just feel different if that makes sense. that is why i was considering switching to either BLO or tung oil. thanks.

tung oil & steel wool is one of the 1st things I do as the tung oil fills the voids in the grain & that's where you get the smooth feel , mine are Oak veneer & Oak has huge grain voids

I use either REAL tung oil or teak oil either one with OOOO steel wool will fill all voids it's a P I A as it takes awhile but only needs it once . most Tung oil products sold is not pure tung oil so read the labels

Woodcraft sells real tung oil & only buy what you need as If not stored right the un-used Tung oil goes bad thru oxidation

(it has to be bottled in air tight container with no air in the conatiner as well IE; no bubble in the top of the bottle )

the steel wool is important as it cuts & fills the hardening tung/teak oil as you go

I tung oil then let it sit till is starts to get sticky & the use a OOOO stell wool dipped in thinner that I run with the grain

the wool cuts the surface hardened tung & then that stiffers oil slides into the viods

repeat till smooth & each time it takes less tung oil till the last few times it's just a damp wool with thinner

the secrect is do this all at once as if the tung oil over hardens if left to cure

Tung oil will also give the grain a look of depth when it's then waxed

perhaps all i need to do is steel wool them! as you were saying they kinda feel like the oil is "built up" on them,

Yaeh , but you risk pulling it all off if You use any thinner , try the teac oil put on thin let dry till sticky then steel wool NO thinner

alotta restore's do a stripping effect

OR use what restore you have been using but let set on there for a time to soften the build up & then steel wool with damp with restore

If you do this DO NOT use paint thinner as you willl be stripping & you don't want that

after that use a that wax & feed or walnut oil , lemon oil to keep the wood from drying out

tung oil , teac oils work like a shellac and are a sealer , steel wool fills the voids with partly solidified shellac

danish oil work like that sorta as well but at a smaller degree of a filling of voids