k-horn woofer damaged, what do I do?

while removing the access door to my woofers (don't ask me why...lol) I gave a small tug to the wires and POP! the little masonite strip that holds the terminals to the woofer frame broke right off! it did not detach the wires from the woofer itself but now they just dangle there perilously...I used electrical tape to fasten it back to the frame temporarily but it looks to me like the only real repair is a new woofer...am I right? or should I just leave it until failure and then replace it? do I need to replace woofers in matched sets, or just the one? why does klipsch make the wires too short to remove the door and set it on the floor? on mine you have to hold the door in the air with one hand, to keep from yaking the internal connections while doing whatever it is you plan to do inside (again don't ask...lol) with the other...bad product planning, no? thanks for the advice, feedback..

warm regards, tony

------------------

*1993 K-Horns w/ ALK x-overs*Marantz 7T preamp*Dynaco MkIV monoblocks (modded to triode)*Sony CDP-CX350 and CX-230 CD changers*MSB link DACIII (96k upsampling)*MSB silver digital director (for switching and jitter reduction)*Technics M-85 professional Cassette Deck*SAE MK VIII tuner*Luxman PD-272 turntable, Grado Red cartridge*Cardas Crosslink speaker cable*Monster M550i for all interconnects*Monster HTS3500 Reference Powercenter Conditioner

This message has been edited by sunnysal on 07-03-2002 at 10:40 AM

The wire is short so it won't vibrate and hit the side of the cabinet or the speaker. It should be something like a tight rope in mid air.

I would solder new leads to the ends coming from the back of the speaker, since they are not pulled out.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

Tony,

Since you are where you are, I'd remove the woofer, unsolder the braided leads to the cone, drill out the rivet the held on the masonite, and replace it with something similar from an electronics house. Reattach it with a pop-rivet. I don't think this is a job for glue or silicone, too weak.

You are in a big enough city that you might find a speaker repair shop, too. They should be able to fix it, since all cone drivers use just about the same thing.

Your damage it too small to justify $110 + shipping and duties.

John

Thanks for the advice John, I am pretty weak at sodlering but I will give it a try.

well Edster if you MUST know, a bat (yes the flying rodent kind, remember I live in El Salvador) had turned the k-horn into a roost and I was opening up the door to check if had managed to enter fully and mess up the interior...it had not...hey maybe another story for the story teller contest?...lol

reagrds, tony

Oh yes, how I remember when a bat flew into my house that one night while I was letting the dog out! I managed to knock him down with a well placed swing of a tennis racket then pitched him back outside into the woods. Of course the cat was going ballistic during the whole time (ever see a cat try to catch a bat?) Smile.gif.

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

RCA DWD490RE (DirecTV/Ultimate TV receiver)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)

LOL...I read the story about the earthquake. It would have been better if the story was about how he was enjoying his Klipsch speakers so much that he didn't want to turn them off to find shelter. I knew the bass on my Klipschorn could shake the house and the erathquake was just another low octave. Anyway, some of those stories are quite creative and some are BS. But that is what story telling is all about..I guess.

A sad thing is that they re-edited the story before posting and screwed up the punctuation, syntax and grammar...all for the worse...but it was a true story...absolutely surreal sitting out in the street, hugging my family while the tremors continued with AC/DC playing loudly in my house the whole time...LOL! regards, tony

You might try stapling some heavy "no-seeum" netting between the tailpieces and the sides of the woofer bin on those k-horns to keep critters out of the woofer bin. The only way a critter can get inside the pyramid section where the woofer is would be to gnaw through the wood or the woofer itself, though.

------------------

I can now receive private messages

quote:

Originally posted by sunnysal:

...but it was a true story...absolutely surreal sitting out in the street, hugging my family while the tremors continued with AC/DC playing loudly in my house the whole time...LOL!

What did you have playing ("For Those About to Rock", "You Shook Me All Night Long")???

LOL, either would have been appropriate! it was "for those about to rock"...regards, tony

------------------

*1993 K-Horns w/ ALK x-overs*Marantz 7T preamp*Dynaco MkIV monoblocks (modded to triode)*Sony CDP-CX350 and CX-230 CD changers*MSB link DACIII (96k upsampling)*MSB silver digital director (for switching and jitter reduction)*Technics M-85 professional Cassette Deck*SAE MK VIII tuner*Luxman PD-272 turntable, Grado Red cartridge*Cardas Crosslink speaker cable*Monster M550i for all interconnects*Monster HTS3500 Reference Powercenter Conditioner