Help with SW-15 subwoofer popping?

onetechyguy

Hi,

I have a klipsch SW-15 sub which I have had since new. It is working but has a strange problem, when either me it my wife get off the couch the sub makes a few popping sounds. That is the only time I can simulate this problem, other than that the sub plays fine & loud. Could static being generated by stepping on the carpet cause it or could it be a problem with the drivers being so old that maybe they are due to be re-coned? Anyone experience this or have any ideas? Thanks, Rick

• Like 1

They sell antistatic spray for carpets and upholstery and it's actually pretty cheap at around $10-15 / quart. If static is causing it somehow, that is how I would treat the problem. Static discharge can be in the tens of thousands of volts with very little current. I'm no expert, but I can see how that could cause some RF noise in an RCA cable.

Edited by mustang guy

I bought a monster cable RCA sub cable to test the sub last night. The popping was almost completely gone until I heard a couple of slight pops when I got up from the couch after trying to simulate it numerous times. One thing I have noticed which could be part of the problem is where my y adapter connects to the RCA jacks on the sub. The left & right are both loose & have been like that for sometime now. Maybe there is a bad ground or loose connection? My next step is going to be to open the sub up and repair or replace those RCA jacks. Other than that I can't think of what else it could be?

Ok,

I will try taking the Y off. I will lose a lot of volume if I do that right? Does it matter which input I use? Right or left? I do have a can of deoxit, I will try that as well. Thanks

As CECAA850 stated, just turn up the gain on your receiver/preamp, or the gain knob on the amp itself. If you have trouble with the sub detecting power on state, then the y-adapter may be necessary. If the problem goes away when you connect directly to the amp with your RCA, then you have isolated the problem.

Ok,

I will lose a lot of volume if I do that right?

The sub amp sees the voltage on both legs of the Y and sums them together. If you remove the Y the amp sees less voltage. If you installed the Y to wake the sub up sooner, increase the output from your receiver. If your sub wakes up fine without it, just turn the gain up on the amp.

Ok,

I will try taking the Y off. I will lose a lot of volume if I do that right? Does it matter which input I use? Right or left? I do have a can of deoxit, I will try that as well. Thanks

As CECAA850 stated, just turn up the gain on your receiver/preamp, or the gain knob on the amp itself. If you have trouble with the sub detecting power on state, then the y-adapter may be necessary. If the problem goes away when you connect directly to the amp with your RCA, then you have isolated the problem.

Or just leave the sub in the on position as opposed to auto. It doesn't use any more current in the on position than it does on auto.