Have you heard of MHL yet?

mustang guy

This is cool stuff. MHL is a new industry standard for using mobile devices with TV's. In a nutshell, it is an interface from your portable device to the HDMI port. It supports high def video as well as full 7.1 surround. Not all TV's and receivers support MHL, and I'm not sure which portable devices do. It looks like manufacturers are adopting this interface, but acording to wiki, there are already 330 million devices. The only difference in the last year's Yamaha RX-V673 and the newer RX-V675 is the addition of MHL to the front HDMI input. This year, that will be the selling point of many receivers and preamps.

We can all live without this if we don't want to pay a premium for our next receiver; however, this could be pretty important to people who rely on their portable device for everything. Here is an example of the plug used for an iPhone 5 for example:

x530HDMi5-F.jpg

• Like 1

Pretty cool stuff but I definitely prefer having wireless capability through my AppleTV.

I agree, but this requires no authentication. That's kinda handy. It is a much needed interface standard. I always wondered why the hell you could hook any component up to an AVR except a mobile device. For that you needed a dock or airplay, yada yada.