RF7 Bi amped with parasound hca 1000's....thoughts....

franticsled

I pulled the trigger on a couple of amps, I have 2 parasound HCA-1000A's and have one amp on each speaker. Forgot what you call it, but my thoughts are I am not really jumping up and down because it sounds soooo much better.....it will play louder and has a less "strained" sound...... still not up on the audio lingo but am assuming thats headroom. The HF seems to be not as smooth. It seems when you go so far with any system, you have to spend big bucks to improve!!! I think I am at that point, it upsets me as I have had several pairs of speakers over the last few years and I am thinking the forte II's where my favorite....sold them and bought the rf7's and was feeling like I took a step backwards, however it has motivated me to upgrade about everything in my system now. I will say adding the parasounds was a huge improvement over the yammie. I turned my sub down by at least an 1/8th turn and turned the treble up!!! I have a HCA750 run in mono for the RC7 (for now, may bi amp it in the same manner as the mains...ran out of cables!!)) and would never think of putting it back on the AVR. I think at this point I would love to find a nice black pair of 83's or maybe klf30's to play with. I love bass and the fortes would deliver in that area and where smooth as silk. The rf7 is on the bright side although on the parasound, they sound way smoother. Has anyone else bi amped and thought it was a day and night difference? I am using 1 amp left on lf and right on hf, one amp, 1 speaker, seems a guy said on here.... morey james? I think? thats the best route to go and was pretty easy to do....or do I have that wrong?

After proof reading this, I am thining I am totally happy with the way it sounds and the volumes I can achieve..... I am upset because I enjoy the hunt of that new piece, the one I can have shipped cost effective. Not like finding 83's in denver with $300 shipping which is not worth it as chances are they will show up damaged!!! I feel like I need to start over!! I guess I have the "bug" !!! Upgradeitis!! Is that a word?

• Like 1

...I am thinking the forte II's where my favorite....sold them and bought the rf7's and was feeling like I took a step backwards, however it has motivated me to upgrade about everything in my system now. I will say adding the parasounds was a huge improvement over the yammie. I turned my sub down by at least an 1/8th turn and turned the treble up!!! I have a HCA750 run in mono for the RC7 (for now, may bi amp it in the same manner as the mains...ran out of cables!!)) and would never think of putting it back on the AVR. I think at this point I would love to find a nice black pair of 83's or maybe klf30's to play with. I love bass and the fortes would deliver in that area and where smooth as silk. The rf7 is on the bright side although on the parasound, they sound way smoother. Has anyone else bi amped and thought it was a day and night difference? I am using 1 amp left on lf and right on hf, one amp, 1 speaker, seems a guy said on here.... morey james? I think? thats the best route to go and was pretty easy to do....or do I have that wrong?

After proof reading this, I am thining I am totally happy with the way it sounds and the volumes I can achieve..... I am upset because I enjoy the hunt of that new piece, the one I can have shipped cost effective. Not like finding 83's in denver with $300 shipping which is not worth it as chances are they will show up damaged!!! I feel like I need to start over!! I guess I have the "bug" !!! Upgradeitis!! Is that a word?

If RF-7's are a step backwards from Forte's, then your ear may prefer 3 way speakers. Nothing wrong with that. A good way to find out is to try a pair of Heresy's and a good sub. Improvement is subjective to the listener. Before spending tons more money you might do some soul searching. I have upgradeitis too, and it can break the bank.

• Like 1

Are you using passive bi-amping or do you have a active xo? The gains from passive bi-amping may be minimal to none. If you are looking to spend money to improve the sound in your room, consider room treatments.Ii think the term is vertical.

I think vertical bi amp but not sure.... What is passive? no active xo. I have the rxa1000 left channel going to one amp say to the right input on the amp, then the parasound has a daisy chain output or loop....i took another rca cable and went into the left channel, So on one amp the left runs the HF and right runs the LF and ditto on the second parasound. What do you call that? Not a huge gain in sound quality...as a matter of fact the more I listen I think the HF has become dirty...grainy....garbled. The bass and volume has improved tho......should I try something else?

• Like 1

Are you using passive bi-amping or do you have a active xo? The gains from passive bi-amping may be minimal to none. If you are looking to spend money to improve the sound in your room, consider room treatments.

Not sure what you mean by 'Passive Bi-amping', I hope you are not confusing Bi-wiring from Bi-amping with a Passive Crossover between the Mid/high drivers.

I am running an active Crossover between the Bass Bins and Midrange/Tweeters. But a Passive between the Mids and Tweeters. I have an active crossover between the Bass Bins and the Mids/tweeter. Biggest improvement in a Decade for me.

• Like 1

...I am thinking the forte II's where my favorite....sold them and bought the rf7's and was feeling like I took a step backwards, however it has motivated me to upgrade about everything in my system now. I will say adding the parasounds was a huge improvement over the yammie. I turned my sub down by at least an 1/8th turn and turned the treble up!!! I have a HCA750 run in mono for the RC7 (for now, may bi amp it in the same manner as the mains...ran out of cables!!)) and would never think of putting it back on the AVR. I think at this point I would love to find a nice black pair of 83's or maybe klf30's to play with. I love bass and the fortes would deliver in that area and where smooth as silk. The rf7 is on the bright side although on the parasound, they sound way smoother. Has anyone else bi amped and thought it was a day and night difference? I am using 1 amp left on lf and right on hf, one amp, 1 speaker, seems a guy said on here.... morey james? I think? thats the best route to go and was pretty easy to do....or do I have that wrong?

If RF-7's are a step backwards from Forte's, then your ear may prefer 3 way speakers. Nothing wrong with that. A good way to find out is to try a pair of Heresy's and a good sub. Improvement is subjective to the listener. Before spending tons more money you might do some soul searching. I have upgradeitis too, and it can break the bank.

Well you may be right!! I would love to have both as I do like my rf7's but the fortes where very much my fav. However the towers have a cleaner more modern apeal That is why I thought the KLF 30's would be worth a try. I live in a small town so I dont have anyone that I know of close to me for a listen!! I buy based on reviews and places like this!! I do have a dealer close to me but all the discontinued speakers I go from memory in years passed. I do have a freind that has the KLF20's and like them. The 83's just look great, never heard them but had a pair of 82's that I really liked!! but then again... they are a different beast, could a guy assume that if I liked the 82's I would love the 83's...or since I thought the KLF20's sounded pretty good the 30's have to sound better!!!! how do we really know untill we have them in our space with our electronics..... its just the way it is!!!

• Like 1

Mustang guy may be correct that you like the fortes and may prefer a 3 way speaker. But, from what you described you are not actively bi-amping the RF 7's. The RF 7's are a great speaker for music but, they can be a little tricky to get right in a room. Imaging may take some time and they need to to be spread out. Also pull them out from the wall if you are running them large.

Some people complain about the brightness in some rooms. One trick to help cut this is not aim the tweeter directly at the ear. Make the speakers converge slightly behind the main listening position. Also EQ will help tame the HF and correct some bad room acoustic. I use mine with a sub/EQ and run the speakers as small. The RF 7's can produce great bass but, the sub add a richness to the bass and the room. I guess the sub make the system quasi- 3 way, lol. The clarity and detail achieved by the RF 7's is outstanding as well as the sound stage. Maybe work with them a little longer, good luck.

Edited by derrickdj1

Here is a diagram of bi-wired(yellow), vertical and horizontal bi-amping.

My setup is different than these. I can't draw it because I am on the road.

From my pre-amp to my tube amps to my passive crossover to my Horns/Tweeters. Also from my Tube Amp to my Bass Amps to an active crossover to my Woofers. Not sure what kind of bi-amping this is, but it is the cat's meow.

Edited by Cut-Throat

My setup is different than these. I can't draw it because I am on the road.

Now you have us wondering how things are wired, lol.

Taking the signal from the speaker level outputs were new to me as well. But, there are several advantages to it. Both amps seem to be in 'sync' a bit better. A lot fewer cables and shorter runs.

This is where the trouble is in the HF. it just sounds dirty,not as clean and crisp as it was just run on one hca 1000 or even the hca 750 did a good job in my opinion. Mainly when at higher volumes, and the higher the volume the more noticeable it is. When i have time, I will swap amps to see if maybe theres a problem with the one running the HF. Maybe I can do that on sunday as we are forcast to get a big snow storm followed by strong wind and cold temps. Hhhhmmmm, maybe I should get my gererator ready too, just in case!!