Help me choose: RF-62ii's or RF-82ii's

jephdood

Okay, I'm turning to you guys. The more I research, the more indecisive I get. :P

I've got a 15 x 15 x 8 room.

I already know I'm going with an RC-62ii center and probably RB-61ii rears (possibly 51's.. not sure yet, but less important of a dilemma than my mains).

I'll be using this system about 50/50 music and movies.

I listen to my music (2-ch) without a sub. I'm not a basshead, but I don't like to feel I'm lacking there either. Soundstage, imaging, and accuracy are the most important things, though I do like an authoritative sound as well.

For movies, I call on an SVS 20-39 cylinder loaded up in the front right corner of my room.

I've heard the 82's give you a more tactile feel down low for music, but the 62's do better in the midrange and imaging departments. True?

Anyway, please help! I'd like to order everything today, if at all possible.

Thanks. B)

Edited by jephdood

Okay, I'm turning to you guys. The more I research, the more indecisive I get. :P

Okay Jeff, if you want us to spend your $$$. :o

I already know I'm going with an RC-62ii center and probably RB-62ii rears

Did you mean RB-61ii's or RS-62ii's?

I'll be using this system about 50/50 music and movies. I listen to my music (2-ch) without a sub. I'm not a basshead, but I don't like to feel I'm lacking there either. Soundstage, imaging, and accuracy are the most important things, though I do like an authoritative sound as well. For movies, I call on an SVS 20-39 cylinder loaded up in the front right corner of my room.

Your sub should have no trouble filling in the bottom whether you get the 62ii's or 82ii's.

I've heard the 82's give you a more tactile feel down low for music, but the 62's do better in the midrange and imaging departments. True?

I think I would agree with that.

Is $$$ budget a factor?

Any of these scenarios should work just fine. Assuming you are doing 5.1.

System 1

RF-82ii's, RC-62ii, RS-52ii's

System 2

RF-62ii's, RC-62ii, RB-61ii's

System 3

RF-82ii's, RC-62ii, RB-51ii's

If 50/50 music/movies, I would choose System 2.

Choosing the RF-82ii's over the RF-62ii's will provide a "bigger" presence for both movies and music but I would not say it would be more balanced for music.

Also, if you have any doubts or may later say "what if", then you should get the RF-82ii's. "Upgrading" later to larger surrounds would be a pretty simple adjustment.

Bill

Edited by willland
  • Like 1

+1 for 8" drivers over 6" drivers. I've been known to suggest this time and time again because I notice a difference that many don't between the 82's and 62's. Admittedly, I haven't heard the gen II reference series so unless there is a big difference from the gen 1, my personal feelings would stay the same. At the prices you are about to drop, the cost for going bigger isn't much more for the length of time you will most likely own and enjoy them. Plus, the only regret you would have by getting 82's is not getting 7's :). Seriously though, you may still get upgradetitus. The only thing i think that could keep you back is that the 7's low end is very faint at lower volumes which is important if you do listening without a sub as you say you do whereas the 62's and 82's are animals throughout. The 7's will kill them both at higher volumes though without blinking an eye.

Thanks guys. Yes, I used to own some 7's. And while I'd like to have them back, they're too steep right now to buy new. And they don't show up often locally used.

I'm leaning toward the 82's, only for the fact that they're not much above the 62's in cost from my dealer.

I used to own some and sold them. Then one day decided I missed them. New where a pair of rf-63's were so made a call got em. Asked on the forum for help to find a rc-64. Within a day I had found one also happen to come with rf-63's. Didn't need em since I had a pair already. Bought em and sold em to a forum member for 500. He picked them up later. I payed for the center to be shipped from Chicago to Kansas City. Another member arranged everything for me. I just made calls and paypaled money where it needed to be. Doesn't have to be months just gotta have cash ready and be extremely motivated.

I would suggest the 82's as well, I have had both and liked both but the 82's sounded better to me with 2 channel music. As us motor heads say "theres no replacement for displacement" and those 8" woofers seem to move more air! Just my opinion!!

lol put a 1 on front of that 8. Then we are talking about really moving air!