I Added Some Room Gain

derrickdj1

I am pleased with the project and successfully added room gain. Before room gain started at 18 Hz and now around 37.or 38 Hz. Before room gain would be 12 db up at 9 Hz and now that happens at 18 Hz. Results in strong 10 Hz performance of around 108 or 110 db. The significance of the project was to compensate for the sealed subs natural roll off. This project was equivalent to adding 1 1/2 to 2 more subs.

Amazing results. Definitely was worthwhile!

Nice project. Try felt pads behind your pictures and the stuff that sits on the shelf's. The round ones that are sticky on one side. You can get them from a hardware store. That is what I used and it help.

I need to pickup some of those pads but, pictures rattling of the wall is nice for sub demo, he he.

Nice project. Try felt pads behind your pictures and the stuff that sits on the shelf's. The round ones that are sticky on one side. You can get them from a hardware store. That is what I used and it help.

I need to pickup some of those pads but, pictures rattling of the wall is nice for sub demo, he he.

You and Scrappy have me drooling with these 10 Hz responses. If only I had more space I could fit a couple of these 18" subs and I'd ditch the two RT-12d subs I have... Congrats on your system!

So much of a sub/s performance depends on placement and the room, it's a matter of getting the right combination of things. I don't want anymore large subs, theire resale may be hard one day.

Edited by derrickdj1

Glad things worked out with your project.

Thanks jason. It just won't quit snowing up this way. I am around 30 min. from Chicago. :)

I am pleased with the project and successfully added room gain. Before room gain started at 18 Hz and now around 37.or 38 Hz. Before room gain would be 12 db up at 9 Hz and now that happens at 18 Hz. Results in strong 10 Hz performance of around 108 or 110 db. The significance of the project was to compensate for the sealed subs natural roll off. This project was equivalent to adding 1 1/2 to 2 more subs.

Amazing results. Definitely was worthwhile!

Thanks mustang guy. I got some blue paint on the carpet, it will take me close to a month to get it out, loll

I have had a few days to try some movies out since the room modifications. The pressurization is off the hook. Tron Legacy sounded like an entirely different movie compare to when I last saw it using the Epik Legend, SVS 25-31, and the Premiere Acoustic PA 150 subwoofers in a different room. Room gain is unperdictable when considering a project like this. There will be gains at some frequencies and losses at others depending on the furnishings in the room and construction of the room. This type of project works best if DSP is available for subwoofer EQ, or something like Audyssey. One thing is certain, if the long dimension of the room will be reduced significantly, the amount of gain can easily be greater than adding a couple of subwoofers.

Having a separate ventilation system is one thing I wish I had since the sound travels thru the heating and air conditioning vents. Also, a drop ceiling in the basement is not as good as a regular ceiling for sound proofing. Deep bass waves are difficult to contain and I think bass traps less than 1 foot thick will be useless in my room or anyother room. As far as sound proofing, unless the vents, ceiling, floor and a few other things are addressed: doing only one is of little benefit. Bass traps will help above 100 Hz but, that is not the problem area.. certain objects in the room can vibrate depending on their resonance frequency but, to a get tactile response, the 20 Hz and lower spl has to be around 105 db. This can also be accomplished by placing a sub/s closer to the MLP.

Edited by derrickdj1

certain objects in the room can vibrate depending on their resonance frequency but, to a get tactile response, the 20 Hz and lower spl has to be around 105 db.

A very small amount of museum putty hidden behind one or two corners of each picture and under each art object will help. Our room is now vibration free (except for the floor and the couch), even with 115 dB coming out of the subwoofer, despite about 15 bookshelves, and some paintings. Museum putty helps keep things from flying around in a real or simulated earthquake.

Edited by Garyrc

8 Hz!?! That's great. My two Klipsch RT-12d subs only stay flat to ~19 Hz. They are pretty small and efficient, each having two passive 12" drivers and one active, but were expensive and are too hard to find used. You have me drooling with these four 18" sealed subs that go to 8 Hz. I don't think I would ever worry about bass again if my system when down to 8 Hz. I may have to get to building soon :)

So, did you put one sub in each corner of the room?

I have debated asking my dad if I can close off all the door openings in the theater but I'm not sure if it would help or not. Cause I am actually cutting at 20 hz to be flat down to 8 and I get the tactile feel already. Maybe I could find a spare door and out it in place somehow temporarily to try.

Glad your room is coming along a bit better.

two subs in each front corner stacked. I think there is a picture in my sub build.

And Derek you are right on the big sub build. Yours at least have a brand name. The diy stuff really doesn't hold value at all. That's why I am hesitant to try building speakers for down there.

I guess if I ever do new subs my acura and my wife's honda could both get a new pair of 18's in the trunk LOL

I figured that's where you stuck them. I wish I had more space to try the corners with my RT-12d's. I know corner gain would benefit my subs greatly as that was Klipsch's intent when they desigend them with two passive radiators. They sound great where they are, but I've never heard a system with 4 18" subs. I'm sure I'd have the same reaction you did with yours and be wowed.

I don't think either of you will have trouble reselling if you gave a demonstration. I'd be interested in buying Scrappy's setup if I still lived in KC. However, if he ever takes a 30% hit on them, it wouldn't be the end of the world. I'm sure he got a lot of enjoyment out of putting them together and listening to them. Those 18" Dayton subs have a lot of value for the money, so I'd think that would make resale easy for someone who's too lazy to make their own.

And Derek you are right on the big sub build. Yours at least have a brand name. The diy stuff really doesn't hold value at all. That's why I am hesitant to try building speakers for down there.

I don't think it matters about the brand name. Most people seem to like cute little subs, not big 18in subs lol. Our subs are smaller than the 15 in vented Rythmik or HSU. Scrappy, remember my wife kicked me out of the family room due to the size of all my gear, lol. Price per performance and dollar per displacement, our 18 in. subs were a great buy. We are no longer wondering about JTR, Seaton or any other brands. Not that something like the JTR OS or PSA Triax is not more powerful but, look at the cost difference and you still need multiple subs to smooth things out. The bottom line is that if you can get a good 15 to 20 Hz - 80 Hz output, that is perfect for HT. There just is not enough content under 15 Hz to throw that much money at trying to achieve that type of output just for demo's.

ect 6849, the Dayton/Pars Express kits for $364 for an 18 in. sub is a great buy. I won't say I will neve get one or two just to have fun building a sub.

Edited by derrickdj1