RF82II Placement Questions

gadgtfreek

Front section consists of 2 RF82II's and 1 RC62II. Towers are about 10.5 feet from the center listening position which is actually a round end table. My wife and I sit on each side of it.

At that distance, how far would you recommend they be placed apart?

Toe them in at center list. position or fire straight out?

How far do they need to be off the back wall (no side walls)?

Have carpet over concrete, spike vs no spikes? Or does it even matter?

Thanks for any help.

As Derrick Said toeing them in will gain you better imaging with the Horns pointed at the middle table between you and your wife. Also if you can bring them out a foot or a little more form the back wall to vie the rear ports some room would also be ideal. I have the RF7iis and only have about 1 foot of separation from the rear ports to the back wall but the more the better. Spikes would also be a plus if it is carpet over a concrete slab. My old 83s benefited from being a little more sturdy with spikes in my old home/setup. I had my old 83s as far as 20 ft from each other to 12ft. I preferred 12ft better. When they were nearly 20 ft apart they started to have to far of a front soundstage for me with my rears and surrounds getting to close to them. Try both see what works though. Welcome to the forum Great people here.

Edited by MichaelandKlipsch

Thanks. I printed off a copy of a protractor since I dont have one, and could use a laser to center 90 degrees on the center and tape it down on the table to help with angles for the fronts. Equilateral triangle makes it easier! Im not sure if I can get 10.5 feet apart, but I think I can get 9 maybe a little more so that should be good.

I read the horns are fairly directional so toeing in was a good idea, just wanted to get some input.

I think about about 7" off the wall now, but I can eek some more out of it.

Edited by gadgtfreek

Right now, its a 3.1, with a VTF15H sub. Klipsch are powered by a X4000 Denon (used as a preamp) and a Outlaw 7125 amplifier. Now that Ive got all the new gear I kinda wanted to make sure I placed my speakers as well as possible for running Audyssey XT32.

I read one easy way of setting the toe in is making sure you can see the throat of both horns from the MLP.

Ill make sure my center channel is centered perfectly with the end table, since we sit on each side of it, then measure out from there for front placement.

Edited by gadgtfreek

I toe my speakers in to a degree that doesn't create a sweet spot but focuses the sound at the listening area versus a single listening position. I know that any toe in will eventually create a sweet spot but i try to make that happen away from seating area or what would be behind the seating area. I also play with distances apart if I can and distance from the wall. It will vary dependent upon decor and room layout.

Edited by SuBXeRo
  • Like 1

I toe my speakers in to a degree that doesn't create a sweet spot but focuses the sound at the listening area versus a single listening position. I know that any toe in will eventually create a sweet spot but i try to make that happen away from seating area or what would be behind the seating area. I also play with distances apart if I can and distance from the wall. It will vary dependent upon decor and room layout.

That’s not a bad idea. I find that with my KL-650 THX speaks the dispersion from the horn is much wider than when I used my RF-83s. I have both my L and R KL-650 slightly angle towards the listening position but not directly at it. this gives a nice wide front sound stage. Gadgtfreek – the triangle design is nice for placement of the l, r and mlp but that doesn’t necessarily mean you should angle the speakers in to form a perfect triangle. Playing around with them will be fun. Id play something you are very familiar with to gain that sound your most happy with

Thanks. I think Ill use the triangle for placement of them with regards to distance. As far as toeing in, I think going all the way to aiming at the MLP since noone actually sits there, could be a mistake. I sit on the right side, and my wife on the left. I may just want to angle them in where they aim out our outer shoulder, maybe a little more. I think the sound could be improved over them firing forward as they do now. Obviously I hear the right speaker a lot because its on my side, and not as much the left. I'd like to correct this if possible.

Thanks.

My thinking is they are spread out and fire straight, and both are on the outside of us so its not ideal. Since there is no MLP, Im adjusting for two, I have to make some concessions. At the end of the day, i think some toe in should add to the enjoyment vs none, but I could see where going to far too the middle ( aiming in between both of us) could cause an issue too.

Do you sit in their primarily to watch tv/movies etc. or do you sit in there together primarily? Do you use any room equalization? If you do you may want to setup several listening positions for whomever is going to sit in there as well using an SPL meter at your main listening position to balance/compensate for how close you sit to the L or R speaker. If you find that you both sit in there together pretty often then id leave the L and R toed in slightly but just behind your left or right shoulder depending on the side your on (left side left shoulder) and then run room equalization for the MLP being in between you and your loved one. I have my MLP in between me and my wife @ about 1.5 feet from the right of my head since I sit on the left of our 4 theater seats. I also use ARC room equalization which is arguably some of the bset and I have excellent imaging. Try this when you get a chance and hopefully it will be satisfactory. Then you can start focusing on that second VTF15H

On my side, the right, I have my recliner.

On her side, the left, is the couch she sits on.

In between us is a small round end table, which I always measure as the MLP with Audyssey XT32. We are always in there together for movies and tv, so the middle is "fair" and is the end table.

I think toeing in for my right side at my right shoulder, and the left side at her left shoulder is smart and should be an improvement over what we have now, and Ill try that tonight once I get them arranged out in a triangle.

OK, I was able to get the speakers about 8 feet apart, and they are about 9.5 feet from the MLP. Best I can do keeping in mind I have one big sub and have to add another. I also found the center was slightly off center, so I fixed that. From the MLP, the angle to each front is about 23.5 degrees, and from what I read most recommend 22-30 degrees. After a lot of messing around, I toed them in a little more than planned, more aiming for my inside shoulder in each of the two seats my wife and I use.

Here are some pics:

Setup

IMG_20140121_175027_766_zpsgivobilb.jpg

Shot of my recliner, the MLP (table) and where my wife would sit on the couch

IMG_20140121_175139_893_zpsgzlkrvrq.jpg

Shot of laser from right speaker across my armrest. Kinda tough to see, but this is kinda where the right front is aiming

IMG_20140121_175431_067_zpsf3yfsnmi.jpg

Left front aiming

IMG_20140121_175551_676_zpszpinyect.jpg