am i being over ambitious? NEED ADVICE on CINEMA Speaker

Scrappydue

In my space, the horn loaded LaScalas and THT are better than the KPT stuff. I can't speak for smaller spaces, however. I've been watching, and as the prices have been going up on corns, heresy's, chorus, and khorns, the prices of LS have actually been going down slightly. Now might be the time to buy...

wow that's weird. I would think it would be the exact opposite. What all kpt stuff do you have again mustang? Just the double 15" bin?

2 kpt684's, 3 kpt-904's, bunches of kpt-200's.

I wouldn't think this is the norm in most rooms.

Right. My room is definitely not like other's here that I am aware of. Two of my speakers are actually 75' apart and the ceiling height is between 24' at the eves to 26' at the ridge. My shop has concrete floors, metal beams, and sheetrock walls. Nothing I have tried works as well for me as the lascala system.

My shop is a similar size, 20' at the eves, 24' at the ridge, steel building, concrete floor and fiberglass insulation on all but concrete surfaces. I fill it quite nicely with 4 H1s, setup in stereo, 4 ch driven. Mounted at about 16 feet up on the 30 foot wall firing at the long axis at 75 feet, powered by an old Onkyo '70s vintage stereo reciever.

Granted it is for background use while working but I must say that it is better sounding than likely 80% of the "publics" GOOD stereo setups. I can only guess what LaScalas would sound like :D

What are you trying to achieve that you dont feel you are getting with what you currently have?

i am looking for some speakers that will satisfy me in spl not only in my current room but in whatever house I move to next. The 942 is made for a 400 seat theater. They should be perfect. Also I am looking for that HUGE CINEMA SOUND. Think that 402 horn is gonna give it to me. Lastly I miss the musicality of my rf-63 theater. I'm hoping the kpt stuff would sound as good or better than my Cornwalls. I could be wrong. They may be terrible for music and if so then I'll stop considering them right now. But so many have the 402's in music and live them. Now they may all have the 2,000$ tad drivers and that could happen one day as well. We shall see. Otherwise the JTR noesis or diy will be the way I am gonna go.

I can't imagine the 942 not being musical. As far as the ultimate speaker, I think the 942, the JTR Noesis or the new JTR 215 and the Danley SH60 or any other model you like should all be considered. I can't imagine any of them projecting as large of a sound as the 942 though, the 402 horn is huge.

I had a couple buddies that own noesis and he got try the Danley sh-60 over his noesis 212 and he liked the Danley better. I would imagine that it doesn't get much better than Danley. He makes some insane speakers for sure

Edited by Scrappydue

• 3 weeks later...

I had a couple buddies that own noesis and he got try the Danley sh-60 over his noesis 212 and he liked the Danley better. I would imagine that it doesn't get much better than Danley. He makes some insane speakers for sure

Yeah, I have to admit the Danley SH50 sounds like an amazing speaker. From what people are saying, it just doesn't get much better than what they can do at any price.

KPT-942, do it and never look back! I had a bad year last year so my theater room upgrade had to wait. Hopefully this is the year! I'm going big as soon as possible...

Me too!!!

What did you end up doing Scrappy?

i haven't done anything. i am patiently waiting for a gentleman to buy my thx ultra setup. i will go from there. have really going back and forth on going really big or just doing some designs off of diy sound group. what i am worried about, is not being in my permanent home, and buying the 942's and not having the room for them in my next house. and then getting stuck on a huge loss to sell them. i don't know a single person within 8-10 hours that would want something that big!

I wouldn't worry about resale value too much. If you went with something like a Jubilee, resale would be very easy. They probably have the best resale value in the cinema line. If you ever need to get rid of them, I'd think they'd be gone within a week or two.