How bout a WIFI BBQ/Smoker thermometer that works with a smart phone? Oh yeah.

JL Sargent

Found this unit looking around on Ebay and had to have one. Problem is it's halfway around the world in China. Check it out of you're into outdoor cooking. It has two probes so you can use one for the meat and one for the grill. It is WIFI compatable and will talk to a smart phone. All that for $69+ $10 ship. We'll see how it works out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141169482561?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

wifi-life1.jpg

• Moderators

Now THERE'S something I've never caught myself wanting. What won't they think of next???

Ok I'm apparently not normal because I want one, ok maby not that one because I don't use a phone. That model is really fancy and being connected to a phone has many different features to keep track of everything going on.

The one I have looking at was a Maverick brand, dual probe, one for the smoker temp and one for the meat. They are well reviewed on smoker sites and seem to be good ? About the same price.

I smoke a couple of times a week at least, I put off buying one because my $10 model has worked well until the other day when I ruined the probe with the door of the smoker.

One thing I have read, ANY model you buy is the probe is only safe up to somewhere around 500-700 degrees at best so be careful if you crank up the heat or have gas attached to sear or quickly cook something.

JL if you haven't already check out this forum, there are tons of ideas and even recipes for each different type of meat to smoke, also competition and vendors there so many good ideas.

http://thesmokering.com/forum/index.php

Way ahead of you.

I have a Stoker that is hooked up to a wireless router and I can control my smoker from my computer or smartphone. I use it mostly for when I am competing but also whenever I just don't want to be in this frigid 50 degree weather.

Ron

Way ahead of you.

I have a Stoker that is hooked up to a wireless router and I can control my smoker from my computer or smartphone. I use it mostly for when I am competing but also whenever I just don't want to be in this frigid 50 degree weather.

Ah, but the Stoker is like 4X the money, right? At $69 I'm way ahead of you! :D

• Moderators
Ok I'm apparently not normal because I want one

Seems though I'm actually in the minority here.

Probably just don't smoke a lot, don't need one to grill but for smoking you need to know the pit temperature at least, then the food temp toward the end.

• Moderators
I have a Stoker that is hooked up to a wireless router and I can control my smoker from my computer or smartphone.

Hey that's almost like cheating ! :ohmy: Like an automatic smoker, I can see the advantages because really I like to smoke but only to get smoked food not necessarily to keep an eye on temps for hours or a whole day. :emotion-21:

Ok I'm apparently not normal because I want one

Seems though I'm actually in the minority here.

Probably just don't smoke a lot, don't need one to grill but for smoking you need to know the pit temperature at least, then the food temp toward the end.

I actually smoked a little tonight. Wait.....what??? Food?

• Moderators
Just put two chickens on the pellet smoker. Gonna be some good eats later tonight I hope.

I'm sure they will be, thought I smelled some smoke.

I don't always do it because of time, but I love to marinate chicken when I think about it enough ahead of time. I like to put chicken in a couple gallon zip lock bags (in a tray for leaks) and put them back in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. It's hard to get seasoning all the was through chicken, soy sauce or beer works best so far from my experiments. I have tried many things, about the least favorite for my wife was a little to much hot stuff, but I have to say it was pretty spicy....and it was all mine....no one else could eat much of it. :laugh:

Edited by dtel

• Moderators
I actually smoked a little tonight. Wait.....what??? Food?

I didn't say :ph34r:

No I was talking food on a smoker, last time I tried smoking a chicken it got my papers all wet and I went through 3 lighters and still couldn't get it to light.