Svs sb18-ultra vs JL audio e110?

Salvador

Upgrading to rf-62ii and want to get people's opinion on what would be the better sub to go with. Please help I will be going next weekend to listen to the JL. I know I have to purchase the Svs to listen to it. What is the better sub from your opinion? Also any one know where Svs is made?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm guessing you meant the sb-13 ultra. And I am betting it will walk all over the JL sub. IMO JL home audio is EXTREMELY overpriced. How about this. Skip the JL demo. Order the Svs with the 45 day in home trial period. Then after you've had it for a couple weeks, go listen to the JL and I bet you will be disappointed in it in comparison.

• Like 1

PSA has a XV 15 and XS 30 for $750 and $1200 that are similar to the performance you are looking at. The owner of PSA is one of the two guys that started SVS. Two of the XV 15 to help smooth out room response and a few coins left to spare :) .

Edited by derrickdj1

^ I agree. You absolutely need two subs. The improvement in room response (google two subs room modes) was mind blowing for me. I keep kicking myself for using one sub for several years before buying a second off ebay. Best money I've ever spent on my system.

Edited by etc6849

I'm guessing you meant the sb-13 ultra. And I am betting it will walk all over the JL sub. IMO JL home audio is EXTREMELY overpriced. How about this. Skip the JL demo. Order the Svs with the 45 day in home trial period. Then after you've had it for a couple weeks, go listen to the JL and I bet you will be disappointed in it in comparison.

I strongly agree with this statement. Especially the point that jl products are overpriced. When jl became a choice in car audio in the mid 90's there were so many more subs that shook your rib cage and your organs inside them feeling like your were flying in a high powered jet. Sadly most of them are now made in china and are very hit and miss. I'v used both the fathom 110 and 113 and still have a 110. Yes they are nice but there are much better choices the average to above average consumer can make. Svs seems to be where the bar is at with a powered sub in a box at the moment. Good luck with your choice salvador

You're of course right. You can get enjoyment from one sub (it is better than no sub after all). However, subs are a lot like women: twins are always preferred. There's several studies that show that multiple cheap subs can out perform one large sub. No study I've read though compares multiple small subs to a tuba HT or something ridiculously huge, but obviously dual tube HT's will give a better room response than just one. For me it was night and day difference between a single sub and having duals.

If you buy a second used sub at a great price, this becomes a no brainer as the used sub will likely net what you paid later on if you need to sell. After you spend the money on an expensive TV, AVR, speakers, what's another $700-1000 to have better low end performance?

For the two subs the OP listed, I wouldn't use less than 2 if I had the extra money, absolutely. I would think two SB-13 ultra's would sound awesome. You also save a few hundred by buying two at once. Two used SVS subs may be worth looking at, as I can't personally say I'd drop $2999 on a dual setup. DIY can definitely offer more bang for the buck and is another option if the OP has the space.

You absolutely need two subs
you do not ABSOLUTELY NEED two subs. one really bad a$$ one will do wonders

Well of corse if you had the money duals is the way to go. But I still would take one really awesome sub over two mediocre ones. Diy is the route to go. My quad 18's cost 2300. Bar none have yet to hear a better setup than my own. Can't wait till I do. But haven't yet.

• Like 1

Definitely, if one thinks a two $250 subs from a box store would be as good as one $1300 sub they'd be nuts. I've read your thread BTW, nice setup! I'll probably do something similar on my next move. No room for four 18's now!

Most of the write-ups I've seen compare dual subs of the next model down to a higher model in the same line, such as this one:

http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-setup/two-subs

There is a paper by some well known acoustical engineer that talks about how four subs is the best way to go. I forget where that one was, but here's an interesting white paper for the OP: http://www.harman.com/EN-US/OurCompany/Innovation/Documents/White%20Papers/multsubs.pdf

Well of corse if you had the money duals is the way to go. But I still would take one really awesome sub over two mediocre ones. Diy is the route to go. My quad 18's cost 2300. Bar none have yet to hear a better setup than my own. Can't wait till I do. But haven't yet.

IMO JL home audio is EXTREMELY overpriced. How about this. Skip the JL demo.

I have never heard the SVS, but I have never heard of anyone complaining about a JL sub not doing what it is supposed to do.

The only complaint that I ever hear is that they cost too much, but never about how they sound bad, break down, poor customer service, etc.

My 2c.

where i see the most satisfaction in subs is diy. iv bought at least 50 powered subs and every one of them is been on a leash. iv never heard or read of anybody building or even going the chase 18.1/.2 type of route say man i wish i would of did something different. i see people tweeking them a bit but they arnt for sale anywhere.

when i first started reading mostly on the klipsch site here about self built subs and your own amp and the whole package i thought my gosh this is gonna be crazy but i gotta step it up. just like everybody around here it was a path that has taught me so much more than i already knew and brought low frequency bass to a whole new realm. Still comparing to guys that ran 30 15" subs in there suv years ago or even my own 2 15's in my firebird on monoblocks, then crossovers and eq's getting dialed in its amazing to have something as close as possible to that in my living room now. Things many thought was never possible are happening diy

horn subs do best with khorns belles and direct radiating subs with reference, cws or similar. overall i prefer direct radiating. not as many numbers to deal with just watts and power literally making the movie worth the time. I havnt got that much with any sub in a box. I have with multiple subs in a box but never w just 1. thats what brings the diy situation so needed.

I have a distributor buddy here in the midwest. A few years ago he had a $20k powered 15 in a box. It was nice but nowhere as full filling as 2 quality subs in a diy type situation. specially for the money diy is best. also many subs in a box have issues. with a diy you can identify what is up

Upgrading to rf-62ii and want to get people's opinion on what would be the better sub to go with. Please help I will be going next weekend to listen to the JL. I know I have to purchase the Svs to listen to it. What is the better sub from your opinion? Also any one know where Svs is made?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im only expressing my views from my long road of spending money then again and again on powered subwoofers to maybe help you find what will work for you

Years ago i used a jbl 10 and was happy for some time with it. As i have walked through the path up to paradigm and klipsch powered subs i was also happy yet again i kept on buying and switching adding another and thinking i was done. I can say now with my 2 18" subs im done. Iv tried so many subs and just got to this point about 1 year ago. It was a fun climb and i never had issues with any i have bought xept for the fact i just wasnt quite where i wanted to be. diy is the only way i could have stopped this cycle. If you must go with your 2 choices go with the svs although maybe consider a diy with dual 15's. You will save money and be thrilled at the same time. good luck and have fun

No one ever said that here either.

Scrappy,

Didn't say that you did and definitely not trying to troll ;) . I just always see people saying that JL is not worth it, but except for those looking for max SPL, you never see anyone that is not happy with their JL. That is quite an accomplishment, even though they are expensive.

Beeker,

I agree, my next sub will be a DIY and I am going to use the fathom in a second system (but I have no plans to get rid of it). I can't decide between horn or direct, but I do love the process of going through designs and building.

Any yes, for the money you will do much better with DIY, but then again, tag on a reasonable hourly wage for your labor and that completely falls apart. If you love the work, your labor is free.

• Like 1

The JL, SVS, and other subs will add werght and richness and both should be great for music. Not many fundementals in the 1st octave that we can hear of roughly 20-40 Hz. The second octave that we can really hear well of 40-80 Hz becomes less imporant if you are XO'ing over less than 80 Hz since the mains are contributing to the lower end a bit more. Placement and good integration with DSP, PEQ or a combination will yield good results. I wonder what size room the OP has the system in?