Moved - Now I need to change my mains

rdrunner23

Hi all. I have a surround system based around RF3 II's and RC3. My system is being moved to our bedroom (long story) so I need to make a few adjustments. Primarily I need smaller mains. The room is actually pretty big - the entire suite is 750 sqft but the BR itself is about 19 x 17 with half of one side open to the rest of the suite. Wall to wall carpet, 2nd floor.

I plan on upgrading to a large powerful sub to make up for any loss in bottom end. What kind of difference can I expect moving to the RB-61 and a serious sub? Architectural would be even better visually but I don't think they'll sound as good and I sort of don't feel like messing with them.

I love the RF3's. Nice warm sound (to me) and never fatiguing yet very forward. I don't want to loose those qualities.

Thanks!

Rob

True statement. If bookshelves are on stands might as well have towers. Now if your gonna put em up in a shelf then that's different. 61's are great and they would only have a little less output than the rf-3. Although I wouldn't change anything unless your doing new center as well. IMO.

I wouldn't change anything unless your doing new center as well. IMO.

Is that because they won't match tonally? The RC3 doesn't match the RF3 tonally already in my opinion. They're close but not the same at all. One is sealed the other is not and they sound that way.

The speakers would be sitting on a wide floating cabinet that will be under the TV. Lateral would be fine - just don't want to move backward.

Let me ask you this. Can you assemble a cabinet? If so, check this stuff out:

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/waveguide-speaker-kits.html

Click on the alpha 8 and watch the linked YouTube video on there. They offer incredible value. And there is even a 6" model with a matching center. The fusion line I believe. They will be offering the alpha center soon to match. I will tell you diy is where it's at. You get a lot of bang for your buck. And those guys build them speakers from great components and use simple crossovers as well as that seos horn is made for the compression drivers they use. I plan on building a pair myself soon.