matching speakers question

TTU03

The idea for me would be those tiny cube looking speakers that I have seen from time to time, but I doubt they could put out the sound these bookshelfs can.

Those little cube speakers would not be sufficient for good sound in a 2-seater car, never mind in a house. I've seen and heard a few "surround" systems with cube speakers at the sides, and you could not even tell they were connected.

The larger the space (and it sounds like you're fortunate in having a large and lovely new living space), the bigger the speakers need to be to produce useful sound volume and quality. Music and movies deserve to be heard as their creators intended, and you and your family deserve to hear them that way, too.

Being forbidden to have floor speakers is pretty extreme. I hope there's a trade-off somewhere that compensates for that. WAF is a consideration in many homes. Even PWK (Paul Klipsch) ran into it when he had a La Scala as the centre between two of his Klipschorns, so he designed a more beautiful version of the La Scala and named it the Belle Klipsch, his (first) wife's name. We can assume she was flattered and pleased by that.

Most modern floor-standing speakers are narrow and deep, rather than the old shape of wide and shallow, but still have the same volume. This may help reduce any diffraction effects, but the main difference is that it reduces the apparent size of the speakers as seen from the front, thereby making them less objectionable to speaker non-fans.

Has your wife heard a good home theatre? Since good sound complements good sight when watching a movie, the experience for the whole family is enriched. I can honestly say that my sound system enriches my life on a daily basis.

In your case, here's a suggestion: What about bookshelf speakers on their own shelves? I made a similar recommendation in another thread, if this looks familiar. You and your wife could discuss the shelf style and colour, and they would be an attractive design accent in the room.

As well, they could be a more effective distance from each other. Generally speaking, it's best to have the front left and right speakers and the primary listening position arranged as an equilateral triangle. This means that if you're sitting ten feet from each speaker, they should be ten feet apart. This will give the proper soundstage width. Also, it's good to have the speakers located near or in corners if possible, since this will help their bass response.

Good luck, and keep us posted on how you make out.

Buying it in the 1st place!!! He's more than welcome to have at it.

But, not buying larger was a mistake for me; perhaps for him?

and what mistake would that be? running it between a pair of heresy or scalas? the rc-42ii is great little center when ran with something reasonably similar sized as long as you aren't expecting reference levels.

and what mistake would that be? running it between a pair of heresy or scalas? the rc-42ii is great little center when ran with something reasonably similar sized as long as you aren't expecting reference levels.

he said in the beginning he couldn't accommodate any bigger than that.

Also, it's good to have the speakers located near or in corners if possible, since this will help their bass response.
wouldn't that be the only reason to put them in the corners? my experience is that bass is much cleaner and tighter being away from the wall, as well as imaging increasing being away from side walls. i have always read the same as well everywhere. minus the few exceptions of k-horns and similar speakers.

And I said the same thing; I'm trying to encourage him to MAKE Room!

he said in the beginning he couldn't accommodate any bigger than that.