Taming a LaScala

ClaudeJ1

Having owned and modified LaScalas since 1977 with various drivers, the biggest performance improvement that could be made in modern times, IMHO, would be to bi-amp it with direct drive to the woofer section. This would give the owner the opportunity to do what the Klipsch Pro guys do with Jubilees and MWMs.

I did a comparison, in Hornresp, between a LaScala with a K-33 and my own Quarter Pie Horn with an EVM15L (which acts like Mini Klipsch MWMs). As you can see, the Quarter Pie is smoother and has both Lower and Higher frequency response. While this horn does it all acoustically, with a different driver, there's no reason why a LaScala owner can't improve things without changing to a different cabinet or driver in the bass section.

Having a sub, or two, like a Tuba HT with it's own amplifier(s) would do a great job filling the missing bass in a LaScala from about 80-100 Hz. down. Also porting a LaScala, per DJK mod (which I have not done), with a subsonic filter, would be another way, for those who don't want to build or buy a horn sub.

Using an active Xover on the sub and the LaScala bass bin (Mini DSP?) would give one the opportunity to chop off the low end of the LaScala (decreasing modulation distortion) to match up the horn sub (or ported mod) with a 4th order Linkwitz-Riley filter.

On the higher frequency end of the woofer section, one could easily PEQ out the 140 Hz. peak (about minus 3-5 db) and boost up about 5-7 db at 350 Hz. or so to flatten everything out. Boosting higher frequencies does not add distortion, since there is very little cone motion added in the process, but it does improve the mid bass/mid range definition, which is where our hearing gets more critical.

post-20774-0-61720000-1393944307_thumb.j

Edited by ClaudeJ1

when I read this stuff... I makes me wonder why I would ever even buy a three way box system as opposed to piecing together my own three way.

maybe I could use a la scala, cornwall'ish or klipschorn bottom end and find some really nice after market HF sections and pick my top of the line drivers.

when I read this stuff... I makes me wonder why I would ever even buy a three way box system as opposed to piecing together my own three way.

maybe I could use a la scala, cornwall'ish or klipschorn bottom end and find some really nice after market HF sections and pick my top of the line drivers.

If you look at my Avatar, this is obviously what I have done "beyond Khorns."

While my 2 ph 3 setup with two Khorns and a mono LaScala was excellent for 30 years, then came HT and this group of fanatics, and my life was never the same.

Good thinking Claude, i keep throwing around ideas about making a another system with THT's for lows, DR midbass, & was unsure about the upper horn/driver combo although this may ultimately be an option for the workshop as i'm still using the white van speakers that really aren't that bad at low to medium volume levels.

I'm really very happy with the LaScala sound though it could use some touch ups here and there to perfect the sound, why drive yourself crazy going overboard.

I'm really very happy with the LaScala sound though it could use some touch ups here and there to perfect the sound, why drive yourself crazy going overboard.

With a sub, you are all set, but a little PEQ at the tope end would sweeten the sound a bit.

What do you mean "maybe?"

oh believe me... I've got a plan.

I am just not currently in the position to have it grow to fruition, so I am not even going to begin until I am sure I can complete the whole thing..

oh believe me... I've got a plan.

I am just not currently in the position to have it grow to fruition, so I am not even going to begin until I am sure I can complete the whole thing..

Just build a Quarter Pie horn. You will like it. It's a mini MWMs. The curves should convince you.

Edited by ClaudeJ1