Should I upgrade?

willum24

Great point. For a long time buying used was not something i had any interest in. When i helped a friend get a ht when he got his first home it opened my eyes. If you would have waited and bought your rf83 used for a great deal (like 8 or 900) you could say the same thing about them (using them for free).

Us guys who bought reference new like you and me.I got mine for 55% of retail. Then we get something that costs less and its as good or in your case better is an eye opener for sure. But imo we have to compare them like you are buying both brand new at street price. Way to many different prices on the used market to say one costs this and one costs that.

Heritage speakers really do hold their value. I bought mint condition 1992 Heresy IIs in 2007 and slightly rough 1974 La Scalas in 2006. In both cases I paid roughly what the speakers cost new, yet they were considered fair prices when I bought them.

Twenty years from now, 2006-2010 La Scala IIs in good condition may well sell for $6-8,000 and be seen as a great deal at that price, next to new La Scala IIIs (or LS4s, who knows?) that might go for $15,000 by then.

• Moderators
Used prices on the RF-83's and RF-7's seem to be about $800-$1100/set. I'm willing to bet it would be hard to hear a difference between them and the RF-7ii if there was a way to do an objective test.

I own all 3 and have demoed them in the same setup (at least for 2ch listening) and while not entirely different, they each have a different sound (the RF-7 and RF-7ii the closest in sound). If you are curious, check out my RF-7 vs RF-7ii vs RF-83 Comparison Thread.

As far as Reference vs Heritage debate....it's just that...a debate. :P You will find folks on both sides of that fence. Best advice is to try and listen to as many Klipsch speakers as possible to find out what your ears prefer and then as mentioned, work towards building that system one piece at a time.

I did read the comparison, and it helped out a lot! I am going to purchase a pair of rf7s locally, and might consider upgrading the crossovers in the future. I do have to sell one more pair of my rf82 IIs to make way for them, I do really like the brightness of horns and I think I'll stay in the reference series for now, and I'll move to a heritage system when I have another room that my wife is willing to give up :)