Surrounds for Heritage

holtrp

Heresy II and Heresy III speakers work fine as centre or surround speakers with La Scalas. However, a Belle centre is much better than any model of Heresy, and La Scala surrounds are much better than Heresy II or III surrounds.

Use what fits your budget and space constraints.

For me, the ideal is an all-Jubilee system, with an all-JubScala II system in second place, and all-La Scala II system in third place.

For most people, at some point budget priorities enter the picture, like in whether to buy better speakers or a better car, since buying both at once might be stretching things.

• Like 1

I have not been on for a while, but glad to see I am not the only crazy overkill Heritage HT adherent!

Have 11 channel all Heritage HT

Belle center

Khorns fronts

Belle sides

La Scala Rears

Heresy I wides

Heresy I heights.

Sounds crazy, but just love the surround sound for movies, even at modest volume. (Still just go 2 channel when listening to vinyl.)

Is it overkill? Absolutely, but details really shine in movies.

I only get to shake the house when the wife is out.

• Like 3

Rhetor, very nice system! What are you using for subs? When I bought my pre-amp I went with an 11 channel pre for future proofing (AV8801). Right now, I don't have the room to run a 11 channel setup, but will when I move this year or next. Can you post any pictures of how you mounted the Heresy I's?

Belle center
Khorns fronts
Belle sides
La Scala Rears
Heresy I wides
Heresy I heights.

• Like 1

That is a sick all heritage setup. What pre/pro / amp / subs are you running?

I am also curious how the Heresy are mounted. I love the idea of running 11 channels and a 8801 is next on my list after I get my sub situation dealt with. I know how enveloping 5 and 7 channels are and I can only imagine that 4 extras really takes that to a new level.

• Like 1

Heard my first little KG2 speakers recapped. And then it was on. From start to finish, took me about 11 months to learn, gather all of the Heritage speakers (and then some extras), learn how or solder and rehab Heritage speakers. Bought my first pair of La Scalas (1976 raw birch) and learned what a bad tweeter was and how to secure vintage working parts and recapped them. This forum (really it's members) has been amazingly good to me!

Running a Denon 4311 (precursor of the 4520), with a rehabbed Phase Linear 400 (love the VU meters) running the K-horn fronts using the 4311 as a pre to run 11 channels. Just have not found the need to run any more external amps. I do have a spare Adcom GFA 555 waiting in the wings I could put in the mix, but just have not needed.

Also have a Scott 299C and Dual 1019 attached through an electronic switch to the K-horns and sub for 2.1 channel listening.

Believe me, my room is maxed out. There are only two leather recliners in the room (we are empty-nesters) and I put my office desk in there. Win/win for me in that my wife got my old home office room to herself and her Klipsch Heritage/KG 7.1 setup in there.

Do not have any pics right now. I really should take one and use it as the updated avatar. But, even my cell camera sucks . . . just not enough light in the room for a good pic of anything. I would be embarrassed! (So many great pics on there.

The four Heresys . . . one pair used as wides came with the original slant risers, so that pair is on the floor between fronts and sides toed in to PLP. The other pair, as heights are sitting on top centered at the front edge on the K-horns. I really should find a way to point them down at the PLP, but it seems to work fin and look nice as is.

I live in a log cabin with a low ceiling (8.5 ft) in the HT room, so I cannot hide hide the Heresys in the wall like PSG's solution that Bill posted the pic of above. If I had drywall and a little wiggle room, I would do the same thing. Yeah, I know aI could hang and anchor the heights, but my lovely wife, who is amazing to allow me the hobby, said "no." So, one has to honor that.

If I ever move again, my first question while looking and before buying will be: "Is there a room good to convert to HT?" I would like a little more flexibility . . . I have to hide all of my wires behind stuff on the floor, or across the top of edge beams. Just a casualty of HT in a log cabin after the purchase . . . just have to live with a few wires showing here or there.

But, since the Heritage speakers I have are all veneer and no black, it all blends well in the log cabin.

Thanks for asking.

Good move on Future-proofing for your next expansion with the 8801 . . . nice to know you can plan for expansion with no regrets.

Rhetor, very nice system! What are you using for subs? When I bought my pre-amp I went with an 11 channel pre for future proofing (AV8801). Right now, I don't have the room to run a 11 channel setup, but will when I move this year or next. Can you post any pictures of how you mounted the Heresy I's?

Belle center

Khorns fronts

Belle sides

La Scala Rears

Heresy I wides

Heresy I heights.

Edited by Rhetor
  • Like 1

That is a sick all heritage setup. What pre/pro / amp / subs are you running?

I am also curious how the Heresy are mounted. I love the idea of running 11 channels and a 8801 is next on my list after I get my sub situation dealt with. I know how enveloping 5 and 7 channels are and I can only imagine that 4 extras really takes that to a new level.

My sub is the original I purchased to run with my first Reference 82, 7.1 setup. I bought it on a close out after auditioning it alongside some others when a high end stereo store was closing. Extraordinarily musical sub, that has proved excellent for my movie uses too . . . Martin Logan Depth i (3 balanced powered 8" woofers in the box. I have actually been looking for a second one (pre-owned this time) for a while. Only one came up in my area in the last year . . . the seller just wanted a little too much for a pre-owned, virtually unknown sub. So for now, I am running the K-horns large with the ML sub. If I could find an ML Depth I or Descent i pre-owned at the right price, that is when I will add the second sub as I should.

• Like 1

I have never heard ML subs before. I have been very pleased with the bass output on the Khorn and I imagine they pair well with just about any sub. I have ~20' ceilings in a great room open to dining area, kitchen and entryway and they flat out thump all by themselves. They are definitely lacking in the really deep stuff, but have plenty of output for all but the the deepest bass and they are not even in perfect corners for loading.

• Like 1

I have never heard ML subs before. I have been very pleased with the bass output on the Khorn and I imagine they pair well with just about any sub. I have ~20' ceilings in a great room open to dining area, kitchen and entryway and they flat out thump all by themselves. They are definitely lacking in the really deep stuff, but have plenty of output for all but the the deepest bass and they are not even in perfect corners for loading.

I had not heard of ML subs either until I auditioned one. ML speakers are a different breed and amazing in the electrostatic category. All of the lower ML subs are so, so and overpriced. But the Descent i (3 balanced and powered10" woofers) and the Depth i (3 powered 8" woofers) are amazingly musical and go low for HT. The Depth i was too much sub for my RF82s but blend as well with the K-horns set too large, since the ML sub digs deeper . . . a nice compliment. So, I am looking for a pre-owned second one to put in the HT as my last addition. It will come in time.

So, are you using a supplemental sub with your K-horns?

Have a pair of k-horns alone in the basement workshop for 2 channel there and no sub needed for that setup.

• Like 1