Surrounds for Heritage

holtrp

I am thinking about moving my newly acquired Khorns & Belle into the home theater at some point in the future to displace the RF-83 / RC-64. Given the room layout, I think they would look much better, and I am quite certain they would sound better. I know lots of people seem to enjoy Belle/LaScala/Heresy surrounds, but the KPT-250 or KPT-12-VB both look like a winner for surround duty, When it comes to surrounds, I really would like to have something on the wall opposed to the floor.

I have yet to talk to my dealer about pricing on the pro stuff and there isn't much available on the web at the moment. Anyone have thoughts on blending these with Khorn / Belle and / or pricing for used?

• Like 1

The 250 looks to me like a heresy. Would they be behind or on the side? If side I vote for the 8 or 12 VB if behind you could go with the 8001 or 1201. I have a price sheet also if you want. Text me your email and I can get it to you

• Like 1

I know a lot of people say it doesn't matter if they are a 2 way or 3 but for some reason, knowing that the Klipschorns, and Belle are 3 ways it bugs me(not that 3 ways do just the fact of having mismatched 3 ways vs 2 ways). So I would vote for the Kpt-250, I know there have a been a few who use the kpt-12-vbs, these might be over kill and if the price is sufficiently less I would go with the 8's. Regardless sound wise I think you will be fine, I think kpt-100s would work fine as well.

• Like 1

The La Scala's are awesome side speakers (if you have the room). I don't have the room, but still use them because they sound so good.

Since the sides are used as the rears for most 5.1 sources, I agree with others that the sides are more important as there's more 5.1 content than 7.1. I also believe timbre matching is important as most 5.1 content uses the rear speakers to extend the sound field. I noticed a dramatic improvement when I found a second set of LS II's used, but I was using RS-62's before as I already had them.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input.

The corners are much better in my theater room than in my living room and I think a pair of Cornscala's would be just as good as the khorns for the living room. I love the sound the RF-83 puts out, but I have never been a fan of how deep and skinny the speaker is. Plus the Khorns + the Belle once cleaned up with new veneer would definitely be a meaningful upgrade.

I know the RS-52 would never keep up with that front sound stage. The KPT-250 looks very similar to the Heresy but has different drivers. In a perfect world I wouldn't mind having LaScala rears but I am thinking the pro stuff would be an acceptable compromise to keep everything off the floor. On paper, all of those pro surrounds look like they could easily keep up.

• Like 1

i have spoken in depth with a gentleman that was friends with pwk and he told me the main difference between cinema stuff and heritage stuff was that the cinema stuff is built to play loud. they can handle more power to give them that capability. so i would imagine the kpt-250 could play quite a bit louder than the heresy. BUT if i had khorns and bells and re veneered them, a rough set of heresys with that new matching veneer on a nice shelf sure would be more aesthetically pleasing than the black kpt stuff. just a thought

Edited by Scrappydue
  • Like 1

Yeah, aesthetics do matter to a point. My thought was trying to pick something with the same mid-range horn for the sides to match the front.

Man etc you sure are good at recommending huge gear!

My vote would be for the 8 vb for sides. They are significantly cheaper than the 12 vb. Almost half the price. And unless your room is huge the 12 would just be unnecessary

• Like 1

I was thinking about this for extreme overkill.

11 channel set up

Khorn mains

Belle center

RS-52 front high presence

RS-83 front wide

Heresy side surround

RS-52 rear surround

All finished in that nice black ash veneer. Maybe 8 DIY 18's to go with it...

I would have to trade some amps around to figure that out, but other than that, I have all the gear on hand.

Edited by holtrp
  • Like 1

Sort of a 'unholy alliance' between the RF and Heritage gear...

Amy said that the rf-7 was almost called heritage-RF (or something like that).

I use heresys with the corns upfront and they sound really good together. Old heresys run the same horn drivers as the bigger stuff I think. So that's something to consider.

• Like 1

• I'd go with the KPT-250s or the KPT-12-UBs, although ....

• We have Heresy IIs as surrounds with a Klipschorn and Belle Klipsch HT, and the Heresy IIs do fine. We have shown some very loud movies in our 4,000 cu ft room, with no problem with the H IIs so far. Remeber, in HT, the signal to the surrounds is rolled offf at 80 Hz, and fed to the subwoofer. The H IIs are on high platforms to give them height, and atttached to the shelves, which are attached to the wall studs.

Any of these speakers should be supported from the bottom, either by a good wall bracket that is into studs and extends well under speakers, or by some other means. Somewhere there is a photo of a theater (at Klipsch?) with Klipschorns and a whole bunch of Heresies which are well up over the heads of the audience, all on wall mounted platforms.

Edited by Garyrc
  • Like 1

That does look slick. Initially, that is why I was drawn towards the KPT stuff. Even though it is black industrial, it still looks good mounted on the wall angled down like that.

Heresey would be easy to do as front high hanging from the ceiling above the Khorns.

• Like 1