A Bombastic Blast at Broadway...

thebes

..with maybe a soupcon of screed thrown in.

The two most famous words in entertainment are Broadway and Hollywood.

Let;'s face it, their product has always been hit and miss.

There are millions of idiots out there spending their days talking about Hollywood, so I'll skip over that name and go straight to Broadway, the showcase for the acting arts and, conversely, the basis of New York City's reputation as a sophisticated arts and entertainment mecca.

Gag! Let's face it, although Broadway has delivered truly awesome productions, Miller's Death of A Salesman, comes to mind, they have basically made their living peddling schlock to tourists.

Current case in point. Last year it was Spider Man. This year it's a play "featuring 22 songs by ABBA", and now get this one:

Rocky, the Musical!

Now listen up I'm a fan of the Italian Stallion, there's good acapella in it the first movie.

Abba? What the hell is ABBA? Must be some pop group so I'm sure I have no oar in the water on that one.

So what's my problem?

New York City, that's what.

God, they have turned themselves in to the center of corporate sponsored blandness, a composted heap of treacle, overrun by suburban bred yonglings.

If there is an edge to anything in New York, it's the razor blade anyone with an ounce of cool will use after a few days visit.

The Village? Getta outta here, it stinks so bad. Not one ounce of culture, not once of energy, not one ounce of l Colombian coffee. a Gentrified hellhole of cutesy shops and mediocre food. Back when the Beats lived, crowds would instantly gather on a sidewalk when somebody would stop to expound on something. The coffee houses and bars, mostly bars, were full of the talent that would transform the world, from Kerouac, Dylan, Seegar, you get my drift.

Hell's Kitchen. Used to say it all. Now you could walk down the street with hundred dollar bills hanging out of your pockets and people would follow, pick them up and hand them back to you.

Trifecta! What the hell is Trifecta anyways. Some kind horse race?

Coney Island dog. You can get it in your local grocery store.

Brooklyn? Gobbled up by the same suburban wannabees that infect Manhattan.

Within ten years if you can get a decent slice in the environs of New Amsterdam, I'll eat my Chinese carryoutl

ABBA, of my god! I just looked them up. They are truly terrible.

Edited by thebes

The main culprit is the musical. Musicals suck
It is hard to agree on this point. I've seen major productions of Hello Dolly and Fiddler on the Roof. Seeing Topal, live on stage, was a memorable experience....

Very old those. Look to the last 30 or so years. Musicals suck

We could very easily say that about music trends over the past 30 years and regurgitate ".. music sucks;" however, we know that it is not a true claim.

Edited by Boxx

Yes box, I do realize some people born male like their show tunes....

That's clever, but not very well taken as it is somewhat out of line. I would hope that upon reflection you would agree....

Edited by Boxx

I haven't been able to find a list of the songs. Eye of the Tiger, of course.

I'm wondering if they will craft a tune and call it "Hey, Hey, Paulie" and get Frankie Avalon to sing it.

I'm sure there will be a love song called "Yo, Adrian".

Apparently the show, instead of heading off to Upstate for it's initial tryouts, got it's work up in Hamburg, Germany before heading off to Broadway.

Hamburg, now there's a swinging town.