Question for Homeless Mobile........and others tubed gear fans

Kris K

That is a nice preamp,Mobile homeless.

The volume control in the Ultimate is mounted on the back circuit board.I don't know if it is possible to drill any more holes for the TKD.It seems that it might suit me more than the Dact but I might experience some problems mounting it.I Think that I will order the DACT anyhow,and if it does'nt fit,I can use it for other purpose or sell it.

Thanks for the info.

Guy

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guy - Really wished I'd had the opportunity to hear the Premier 14. I seem to have a fondness for the warmth of CJ and old Fishers.

Mobile - I bought the CJ PV14L thinking that I would ultimately include it in the HT rig and put the 71 Cornwalls back in as well. The Belles were to be my 2 channel speakers, I would then try for a different preamp, maybe phono too. Plans got shot to H@!! when the K-horn bug bit me in the buns.

Will eventually still get another preamp for sure to use with the Laurels and K-horns. The CJ components will stay no matter which route I take, maybe pair with diff amps and Belles. BTW - Brendan has those 6C4's Corvairs for $35 match pairs. As I said they are far better the the OEM Philips.

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

WOW my head is spinning, I better sit down. Lets see if I have this correct; ARC is middle of the road and average, Audible Illusions is fantastic for phono only, Sonic Frontiers ....mmmmm....no( Deang did you not just own one ), and try to find one that doesnt use the 6922's. AAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! I feel better now that I vented.

Should I have taken the simple approach and went with the Bose LifeStyle System? No but on the serious side, I do appriciate everyones help because you have critiqued vast amounts of equipment and spent $$$$$ finding the right and wrong pieces, and when there are many in agreement ( like-dislike)its easier for me to rule out a few choices.

Please by all means keep em coming.

Thanks, Kris

P.S. Conrad Johnson has both the PV line and the Premere line with the later of the two being the newer ....correct? Is one better than the other. And what about the use of 6C4's.....good, bad ?

This message has been edited by Kris K on 07-15-2002 at 02:46 PM

Mobile, realized I didn't address your question. "What other units besides the PV10 did you compare it to?"

Unfortunately, the CJ's were the only units on my list that were available at dealers in my area. Nearest Cary Audio Dealer is 150 miles away. New Wright Sound components are order only, and used sellers don't offer trial and return. Add to that a LACK of patience, I know you have stressed this many times. Damn hard to do when you've got a pair of nice SET Amps sitting idle! Buy try and sell if not pleased, is not my forte' either.

Like many here, we just don't have access to hear many of the components we're interested in, especially within our systems. The CJ units may well not offer the revealing qualities of other offerings. But reasonably sure that few units in the less than 2k price points will compete with your superbly upgraded Cary Preamp. It's a yardstick that we can't possibly measure up to, your SLP 70 has a substantial advantage in that price range. Albeit one we should strive to achieve sonically, for those so inclined.

Will there be another Preamp & Phono Stage in my distant future, most likely. What will it be is the most difficult question? Always open to suggestions....patience is the one aspect I surely need to embrace though!

Kris...I can identify with your current situation....all too well.

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 07-15-2002 at 05:08 PM

OK dear friends tell me what you think of this one: Conrad Johnson PV11L with RCA 12AU7's clear tops pearl crovac NOS tubes for $550? Yes...NO...maybe....good place to start?

Thanks, Kris

This message has been edited by Kris K on 07-15-2002 at 05:44 PM

Kris,

I have not heard the PV11L. CJ classifies it as one of their Classic Series, having been introduced in 1990 first as the PV11, then later as line stage unit PV11L.

Here's a link to specs and other details on Conrad-Johnson's web site.

http://www.conradjohnson.com/It_just_sounds_right/a-PV11.html

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

Yeah.... but that preamp never lit my fire. Too many controls! heh.... Is the SLP-98 too expensive? Is that your worry? Because between that an the PV11, I think the SLP-98 easily wins in ALL ways.

choice.jpg

Not only does it sound better but LOOK AT IT!! Tubes in the open EVERY NIGHT. IT's a beautiful piece the sounds and LOOKS/FEELS like a proper tube preamp! The other is a boring ole box like anything else. Go with the SLP-98 and stop messing around! You wont be sorry. (And the black and chrome unit looks even better to me). This thing will sound as good as it looks!

Seriously though, I do feel your pain. To be honest, many of the selections have good points; I just happen to really prefer the sound of the large octal tubes like the 6SN7/6SL7/5692/5691 as they just sound special to me. I take them over the bevy of minitube offerings and EASILY over any 6922 offering. The 12AU7 is a bit better. Still, there is a certain magic about the 6SN7/6SL7. It's a matter of taste.

I dont think you would regret getting the SLP-98 on several fronts. Ditto on the tube rectified SLP-94 which does use 12AU7... Still, there is tht SLP-98 on Audiogon and it's not a bad price, especially if you talk him down a bit like you should.

kh

ps- The Wright Sound WPA-12a is a GREAT little preamp too...and cheap. In a shootout with my Cary, it came on second but was still a damn fine little preamp and close in it's ability to make music. With a few tweaks, it could also be right up there.

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 07-15-2002 at 10:35 PM

The one on Audiogon has the black face with the chromed body. IT actually looks a tad bit more understated, to say the least.

I found a SLP-90 for ole Jazman that looked like this for a very cheap $600 or so (it was modified to be closer to the SLP-94 with 12AU7 as well - the 98 went to 6SN7).

See his unit below:

slp90.jpg

The SLP-94 has tube rectification with the EZ-81 just like the vintage EICO EL-84 brethren.

kh

------------------

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

Links system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

Kris,

The pv10 is a scaled down pv12.CJ had taken the pv12 and started to take some parts off,in order to make a new budget preamp which turned out to be a killer.

The premier 16/17 employ 6922 tubes and should be avoided.It seems that hi-end manufacturers are having a transparency kick in recent years insted of making musical pieces.

I tend to agree with Mobile that looks are important and I can understand anyone who will prefer the Cary,I have never listened to their top preamps(only the slp50) but would probably choose the slp94 over the 98 since tube rectification has some magic and quietness that solid state rectifiers sometimes miss,and I think that it will be a good match with the Bryston amp.

My father own's a Unison-Research Mystery one preamp.It has a tube rectifier and it's one of the quietest preamps I have listened to.It was a great match with the Bryston as well.

Believe it or not, my Cary shown in Mobile's pic looks even better in person because the case is chrome just like the SLP98 above it. The price was a bargain $875. It has the standard Cary features like straight, short path, point to point hand wiring, outboard power supply, and their oil cap upgrade. It's a quiet preamp. I have not had the opportunity to audition a 6SN7 based Cary, but I'm very pleased with the SLP90L(no phono section) using NOS, 2 Mullard EZ81/6CA4 rectifiers and four Telefunken 12AU7 rib plates. I probably don't want to audtion one of the 6SN7 based Cary models until I have the money to buy one. The SLP98 should be a great used buy in a year or so for me, so until then, I'm very content.

Klipsch out.

This message has been edited by jazman on 07-16-2002 at 03:14 AM

BAT = HIFI

Not my cup of tea. Check soul at door.

kh

------------------

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

Links system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

Well I just spent $582.76 today on repairs to my van, so any immediate purchase of a tubed preamp is going to be put on hold for a short while. I was tempted to tell the wife that she would have to hitch a ride to work with her freind so I would have her Jeep to use....for a week or so.....didnt want to deplete the preamp fund....would this be wrong of me?

Here is going to be my next topic " Wanted a good used (FREE)tubed preamp to a good home....donations are being accepted"

Thanks, Murphy Law

ShapeShifter dear freind, I live a hours drive south of you ,just as you cross the ohio border. With the high heat and humidity that we have been experiencing, Detroit Edison is running over capacity and I think that you should be doing your share in trying to ease their burden. You must give up some of those power demanding pieces of audiophile equipment at once....no comprimise! Think conservation! I will be traveling up to Traverse City on monday and will stop by to help you dispose of some of your gear; this will be hard for you I know, thats why I'll be there to see you through this painful experience.

Your best freind, Kris

Kris,

You're absolutely correct about the energy drain. Add in the lack of rainfall and we're really hurting in this region. Some homeowners have been hit with $500 fines for watering on the non even/odd days.

If you're ever in the area and have time to kill, give me a shout, we'll give the old Klipsch speakers a run through.

Hope the Lake Michigan side of the state offers you some relief from the heat.

Safe trip and enjoy,

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 07-18-2002 at 05:57 AM