Tempest sonotube project underway.

arfz28

Well I started on my tempest sonotube today and got 3 encaps cut out, not bad for only working on it for about 3 hours. I made my own circle jig to cut out a 24 inch circle and it worked like a dream, I couldnt beilieve it when I tried the first endcap I cut out and it actually fit. I made my circle jig out of a scrap piece of armstong flooring, that kind that you glue together and looks like real hardwood flooring. I bought a skill plunge router at homedepo for 58 bucks and I used a quarter inch spiral upcut carbide bit, I got the bit from woodcraft.com. The skill router worked great and the bit cut through that mdf plywood with ease. This was the first time I ever used a router and it went real good, what a mess of saw dust though.Glad I did this outside and not in my shop.Maybe next weekend I can get the rest of the endcaps cut out. Wish I had a digital camera to take a picture of this project.I will keep everyone updated on the project,I cant wait to hear this beast.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to hear you got started on it. 3 hours for 3 endcaps???? Seems like a long time to me, but as long as you're having fun.

I'm assuming you're wearing a dust mask... cwm8.gif

------------------

KLF-30 - mains

KLF-10 - center channel

KLF 10's/20's - surrounds

KLF-C7 - back center

DIY dual Tempest sonosub

Well that circle jig took longer than I thought to make. And cleaning up all my mess and putting away everthing took about 3 hours. Actually cutting 1 end cap only takes about 10 minutes. My googles kept fogging up, and yes I am wearing a dust mask.Im not much of a woodworker so I am taking my time.

arfz28,

Sounds like you've got it figured out, and it's definitely easier to measure twice than to recut once, so take your time and have fun.

------------------

KLF-30 - mains

KLF-10 - center channel

KLF-C7 - back center

DIY dual Tempest sonosub

Well I got the rest of the endcaps cut out for my sonotube today and painted the top endcap gloss black. That mdf sure soaks up the paint, I put 3 coats of primer and almost a whole can of spray paint on the top endcap, it looks real good.Mike what did you cut your sonotube with? I am going to have to cut about 2 foot off of mine, does a jig saw work? And wear can I get some covering for the outside of the tube?Do you think I will have to paint the sonotube black before I put the covering on it or will I just be wasting paint?

• 3 weeks later...

Well I got the rest of the endcaps cut out for my sonotube today and painted the top endcap gloss black. That mdf sure soaks up the paint, I put 3 coats of primer and almost a whole can of spray paint on the top endcap, it looks real good.Mike what did you cut your sonotube with? I am going to have to cut about 2 foot off of mine, does a jig saw work? And wear can I get some covering for the outside of the tube?Do you think I will have to paint the sonotube black before I put the covering on it or will I just be wasting paint?

I cut the sonotube with a circular saw. Snapped a chalk line around it and cut slowly. I'm sure a jigsaw would also work.

As for covering many guys go with "ribbed" fabric as I believe it's already sewn into a tube. Should be available at JoAnn fabrics, etc... I went with black naugehyde. If using a regular black fabric I would brush on a base of black paint first.

Be sure to let use know how it sounds when finished....Mike

------------------

KLF-30 - mains

KLF-10 - center channel

KLF-C7 - back center

DIY dual Tempest sonosub

May I ask if you can host pictures, and if you cannot:

CAN SOMEONE OFFER TO HOST arfz28 PICTURES?

If you can scan some film pics, that would be great. No dig cam, humph! $150 at anyplace or online.

I would love to see the project.

As for the 3 hours in the shop, yep, thats what it takes to do quality work for a single production item.

WHAT WOOFER you using?

Best of luck and have fun!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org

Thanks Mike, I will try a jig saw to cut the sonotube, I will go to joanns for the ribbing,I found a scape piece of 6 inch by 30 inch pvc pipe at my local pluming store, got it for 5 bucks, will use this for my port.Kenratboy, I have no digital camera, but my neighbor does, I think I can get him to take some pictures of this project, maybe I can e-mail them to you or Justin and you can post them for me. I am not to good with this computer stuff.The sub driver is a tempest from adireaudio.com, it is a 15 inch duel voice coil.

Do you plan on stuffing the enclosure? I put around 8#'s of blanket batting into mine per Dan W.(owner of Adire).

I'm assuming downfiring sub so be sure that the legs are at least 4 inches long.

I also found it easier to apply the bead of caulk to the inside of the tube BEFORE installing the endcap.

I used screws instead of nails.

I didn't bother with the t-nuts, instead just pre-drill the driver mounting holes and HAND tighten.

Use rope caulk (almost like clay) to seal the sub before screwing into place.

What amp will you be using?

My 3802 got taken out by a power surge so I was without a HT for about 4 weeks. Just got it back & hooked up on Saturday. Watched a few movies and listened to plenty of mp3's. Almost forgot just how good the sub & Legends sound together........ of course the neighbor 2 houses away stopped by to complain about the "thunder storm" coming from my house. I need to buy her a set of ear plugs cwm4.gif

------------------

KLF-30 - mains

KLF-10 - center channel

KLF-C7 - back center

DIY dual Tempest sonosub

Eventhough it is not in my place to do this, Justin may be able to host the images for you.

I obviously don't know your neighbor, but 5 minuites a week with the dig cam should be fine.

Enjoy!!! Don't cut any nubbins off!

------------------

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

How do you have your server hosting setup?

------------------

Thanks for the pictures Justin. I got the driver hole cut and the port hole cut yesterday. I am ready to start putting the pieces together. Found some legs for the sonotube this morning, but still no luck on the ribbing material, joanns didnt have any in stock.Mike did you just use silicon to but your endcaps in, or did you use glue? I think I might use silicon and use some small nails to hold them in place.

I'd recommend some polyurethane glue (bulldog grip). to glue the end caps in. When it dries it expands a bit to fill in any gaps. I used several small finishing nails to hold the endcaps in place while the glue dried. Then silicon the inside edge where the endcaps meet the tube. This is kinda tricky and uncomfortable though. So another option that should work is measure how far into the tube the endcaps will go and draw a line there. Then run a thick bead of silicone on that line. When you put the endcap in (with glue on it) it will push into the silicon. Between the glue and the silicon you should have a good seal.

Thanks Dustin on how to glue and use the silicon too for the end caps. Dustin on a plate amp for this sonotube with the tempest driver. I just cant make up my mind which one. I am thinking about the parts express amp that has the remote control, 250 watts, seams like this might be nice to be able to adjust volume and crossover in my chair, or the parts express 250 plate amp with 250 watts for 119 bucks or the adire 250 watt plate amp for 179 bucks what is your opinion? thanks

The PE 300-794 is essentially the same amp as the AVA250. With two exceptions. The AVA250 now has an extra input that completely bypasses the plate amps crossover. The AVA250 also comes with the rumble filter set to provide a 1dB boost at 25hz and a corner frequency at 18hz for the HP filter. The PE 300-794 I believe currently comes with the rumble filter disabled. But it only requires the swapping out of 2 resistors to change the rumble filter to whatever you want. I'd recommend 1dB boost at 25hz with a 17hz HP filter corner frequency (if you can't swap out the resistors then the AVA250 ends up looking more appealing).

The remote amp is a waste to me. Once you calibrate the sub properly you will only be making minor adjustments to its' level which can be done through the receiver.

Have you ordered the Tempest? Where are you ordering it from?

If you are going through a place that gets both (Adire and PE dealer) it hurts them a bit to get stuff from PE and Adire. Just like if you order yourself from PE and Adire then you get dinged twice for shipping.

That's the info I can give on the subject, you'll have to make the call from there.