Tube Amplifier Design Classes

eth2

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=123328.0

I saw this posting on another forum for an amplifier design class. As I know nothing about amplifiers I am considering taking the course which is internet based. I know nothing about the guy that is offering the course, but it seems from the course content that it would be helpful to someone like me who is new to all of this. It is $99. (No affiliation)

10 Lectures on tube amp design

1. Review ohms law, Thevenin’s theorem, volts, amps, watts, impedance, AC peak and RMS relationship to DC values
2. How to set up and bias a basic gain stage. Multi stage amplifiers.
3. Stage gain, input and output impedance, output voltage and current
4. Typical gain stage applications : common cathode, cathode follower, balanced, White follower
5. Line amps, phono RIAA EQ, MC/MM preamps
6. Power supplies: Choke input, capacitor input, hum reduction techniques
7. Intro to power amps: Push pull, single ended, OTL, SEPP, Ultralinear, Triode, Class A, Class AB1 and AB2
8. Power tube characteristics: Pentodes, tetrodes, triodes
9. Feedback: Effects on distortion, Frequency response, Damping Factor, Noise
10. Construction tips, Parts selection, transformer selection and ratings

1 hour to 1:15
10 Saturdays, 11 AM Pacific Time, so that you can try things out that same afternoon

I went through the thread, and the classes were supposed to start 2 days ago. Also, it seemed like they had already had enough registrants to have the 10 student class. Now people are complaining later in that thread that they haven't heard back and are wondering if it is a hoax. Who knows, but I don't know if you will have time to sign up.

In the mean time, there is a very good amplifier book called "Building Valve Amplifiers" by Morgan Jones. Along with it there is a more reference style book by him called "Valve Amplifiers". The first book is a good read, and the second is not so much; however, there is a great index and table of contents.

Here is a great index of Navy Electricity and Electronics Training Series (NEETS) publications in PDF:

NEETS - US Navy Electricity and Electronics Training Series

It would be good to start with number 1, but if you want to jump ahead to tubes, check out 6.

I don't see where anyone is complaining that they paid and are waiting for classes to start. I bet he hasn't reached his enrollment number yet. I would venture to say no one has actually paid yet from what I read in the thread. I bet this is a real deal.

Edited by NOSValves

Craig,

Rodger posted "...I hope to get classes started near the end of March..."

Perhaps the word hoax was a bit strong. There had been posts of people who had PM'ed him and not heard anything back. Also, he has not posted to this thread since March 11'th. That was over 3 weeks ago.

Craig