Turn Table Question

ryanm84

Yes, but surface noise can be created or exaggerated by things like a non-compliant cart suspension or bent cantilever. Good carts on good LPs sometimes have almost no surface noise. I am always suspicious about such things if the surface noise sounds worse than it should be. I believe that the audibility can vary from record to record, btw.

Tried offending album on a different player. No noise whatsoever. Tried a couple other records on same player and the same result-no noise.

Moved the pioneer to a new location so I could spread out. Not hooked up to speakers so I could focus on solely on any surface noise. I did get some noise on a couple different records. Time to start over with setting up the tone arm for tracking force, level, etc.

As I mentioned earlier, I had played a microgroove album and part way thru the tone arm skated right across the record. So I adjusted the tracking force to stop that. What I think was happening was that there was too much downward force and a record or two that I played with a slight warp would make contact with the cartridge just behind the stylus. Luckily I only have a couple records from my parents that have a little warp. I've adjusted the tracking force and still have horizontal level as well.

I think I may have this. Just have to move the TT back to the main set up and give it a spin.

I think the amount of track force I have might be a little high as the floors in this old house are bouncy and I hate having the skipping and jumping with a simple walk thru the room.

Fingers are crossed.

The manual is wrong WRT the lateral balance.

Everytime a cartridge or the overhang of same is changed the lateral balance will need to be adjusted.

Set the tracking force to zero and the arm just floating.

Pick up the back-end of the turntable, tilting it towards you.

Adjust the lateral balance until the arm does not move when picking up the rear of the turntable.

Apply tracking force.

Enjoy.

Has anyone mentioned cartridge alignment? Who mounted and aligned the cartridge? What method was used?

The previous owner set up the cartridge at some point before I purchased. Bought online so I've never met the seller.

After yesterday's tinkering, I'm inclined to think it was a tracking force issue that would put a part of the cartridge into contact with the record surface. But I don't want to rule anything out.

I've got an owners manual and service manual for the player.