Rockin' Sunday, ZZ Top Mescalero!

russ69

Agreed Russ,25 watts can be plenty. The el34 tube has a great mid range, now that I am bi-amping I wish I still had my Cary el34 amp just to hear it again thru these K402's . Mescalero on Sunday , :D seems kosher to me, cant go wrong with that "Little Band from Texas" ...

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=zz+top&album=

Dynamic Range 3. I can understand loving the music, but I can not listen to this recording (and I do own this and every other thing ZZ Top has ever put out on CD, vinyl, and Hires download.) On my system it sounds terrible at any volume.

For any ZZ Top fan that cares I can say that the HD Tracks offerings from the debut through Eliminator are the best digital versions ever released and are a must have for any fan! Original mixes unavailable on CD for many of the albums and the goto version for any of them. Unfortunately Mescalero and any other recent release is a lost cause. A sad casualty of the LOUDNESS WAR.

• Like 1

Dynamic Range 3. I can understand loving the music, but I can not listen to this recording (and I do own this and every other thing ZZ Top has ever put out on CD, vinyl, and Hires download.) On my system it sounds terrible at any volume.

For any ZZ Top fan that cares I can say that the HD Tracks offerings from the debut through Eliminator are the best digital versions ever released and are a must have for any fan! Original mixes unavailable on CD for many of the albums and the goto version for any of them. Unfortunately Mescalero and any other recent release is a lost cause. A sad casualty of the LOUDNESS WAR.

Yep! Decent DR from the HD Tracks version!

But what's up with the version of "Legs" they included?? It certainly wasn't what I heard on the album I bought 30 years ago.

Edited by muel

Yep! Decent DR from the HD Tracks version!

But what's up with the version of "Legs" they included?? It certainly wasn't what I heard on the album I bought 30 years ago.

Yes the single version not the album version of legs was used. Bad deal but the song was so over played in the day I don't care if I ever hear it again in any version. A way bigger deal for me is the use of original mixes on the early stuff. I could not stand the reverb soaked triggered drums of the remixes that were on the only CDs released until the compressed mid 2000s remasters of Tres and Fandango came out. First album, RioGrand, and Tegas were vinyl only for me till the HDtracks came out. Sonics are off the charts. Best of the best and I don't say that about many. Grateful Dead, Van Halen, and the Yes releases are also the best available in digital form.

bobdog said: Unfortunately Mescalero and any other recent release is a lost cause. A sad casualty of the LOUDNESS WAR.

Well, maybe your system doesn't work well with this kind of music? Mine was absolutely rocking. It is not a bad quality recording, reguardless of your dynamic range issues. These are rock songs mostly, with limited dynamic range. Much like seeing them live (I've seen them twice). Your experience is much different than mine, although the system I was using is designed to play this kind of music.

Edited by russ69

bobdog said: Unfortunately Mescalero and any other recent release is a lost cause. A sad casualty of the LOUDNESS WAR.

Well, maybe your system doesn't work well with this kind of music? Mine was absolutely rocking. It is not a bad quality recording, reguardless of your dynamic range issues. These are rock songs mostly, with limited dynamic range. Much like seeing them live (I've seen them twice). Your experience is much different than mine, although the system I was using is designed to play this kind of music.

Not true. ZZ Top is one of my favorite bands. I have seen them live at least 10 times starting with the Deguelo tour. The shows back in the day were some of the best sounding concerts I have ever witnessed with dynamics to die for. The last few times were still very enjoyable but they are a shadow of their former selves. ZZ Top songs are not limited dynamic range, the problem is the later releases are compressed, limited and completely brick walled during the mastering phase of production. My system is not the problem. I really can't see how a pair of Khorns with all the best modifications, Mcintosh amplification, and most importantly a room designed and built from the ground up to make the most of corner horns would not allow me to play rock music at its best. All ZZ sounds great on my system except for the last few efforts. I am a rocker and my system was designed to play rock. It will let you enjoy the best recordings at above concert level if you wish but, brickwalled mastering will make you leave with your fingers in your ears thinking you have just been ear raped. Sorry but I could not sit by while a CD with a DR of 3 was praised. I tried to give the album a chance but could not take it.

Not true. ZZ Top is one of my favorite bands. I have seen them live at least 10 times starting with the Deguelo tour. The shows back in the day were some of the best sounding concerts I have ever witnessed with dynamics to die for. The last few times were still very enjoyable but they are a shadow of their former selves. ZZ Top songs are not limited dynamic range, the problem is the later releases are compressed, limited and completely brick walled during the mastering phase of production. My system is not the problem. I really can't see how a pair of Khorns with all the best modifications, Mcintosh amplification, and most importantly a room designed and built from the ground up to make the most of corner horns would not allow me to play rock music at its best. All ZZ sounds great on my system except for the last few efforts. I am a rocker and my system was designed to play rock. It will let you enjoy the best recordings at above concert level if you wish but, brickwalled mastering will make you leave with your fingers in your ears thinking you have just been ear raped. Sorry but I could not sit by while a CD with a DR of 3 was praised. I tried to give the album a chance but could not take it.

I believe what you are saying. I 100% understand. I was not playing it on my reference system, I was playing all tube through my Heresys. I don't know what to say, it was more than just good. Perhaps the Klipschorns are too critical for this CD? Hard to say but I have heard that complaint before and I have been there myself. I was playing on one of my modest systems and having a great time and the sound was totally acceptable or I would have turned it off. I can't explain the disconnect with your CD. Maybe our CDs are different?