Crossover wizards needed

This is a crossover from a Beta Sound model 045 speaker I got off Craigslist last week. The problem is that the crossover was disconnected from the speaker and I have no clue as to how to hook it up to the three speakers: two horns (tweet and mid) and then to the 12" woofer. Nor do I know which of the terminals is to be connected to the amp.

Any input would be appreciated. If any of you have a Beta Sound 045 and would be willing to send me a picture of your hook up that would be marvelous. I've tested all the components and all are within specs. The end wires of some of the coils had a little corrosion and weren't conducting as well as they ought, but I cleaned them up and they're conducting fine right now.

post-55841-0-41500000-1400555728_thumb.j

post-55841-0-11780000-1400555748_thumb.j

post-55841-0-52420000-1400555767_thumb.j

post-55841-0-73260000-1400555783_thumb.j

post-55841-0-78380000-1400555907_thumb.j

that "thing" is a mess and I'm not a wizard, but this is what I think:

attachicon.gif2zdew1lb.jpg

I know nothing about crossovers although i do know how to hook up speakers and Arash nailed it...

once hooked up check each individual driver( ear up to the tweeter, then midrange and then woofer) at very low volume...If it does not sound correct report back on this thread...if it sounds acceptable then try a bit louder and so on...best of luck to you!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hats off to Arash!! I hooked up the speakers today according to the diagram he gave me above and everything worked very, very well. Thank you so very much for the help. Though I'm open to other suggestions this seems to be the correct way to hook up the cross-over in a Beta Sound model 045 speaker system.

BTW they sound great! These things are clearly modeled after some of the Klipsch speakers. Some have called them "Baby Cornwalls" I've got Klipsch K-77M's in as the tweeters, and that's what was in the originals. I've subbed another midrange and have, I believe the original 12" woofer. Very, very nice sound. They're probably the same size as the Heresy, but have, I've been told, better bass, due to the porting built into the speaker. It's probably called a "Baby Cornwall" because two of the three original drivers, the K-77 and K-55's were the same and the woofer was downsized from the Cornwall's 15" to the Beta's 12", but both speakers have been ported, unlike the Heresy. I've seen some comments from people wondering why Klipsch didn't sue Beta because of the similarities between the Heresy and the Beta 045.

Whatever, they sound great!

• Like 2

Hats off to Arash!! I hooked up the speakers today according to the diagram he gave me above and everything worked very, very well. Thank you so very much for the help. Though I'm open to other suggestions this seems to be the correct way to hook up the cross-over in a Beta Sound model 045 speaker system.

BTW they sound great! These things are clearly modeled after some of the Klipsch speakers. Some have called them "Baby Cornwalls" I've got Klipsch K-77M's in as the tweeters, and that's what was in the originals. I've subbed another midrange and have, I believe the original 12" woofer. Very, very nice sound. They're probably the same size as the Heresy, but have, I've been told, better bass, due to the porting built into the speaker. It's probably called a "Baby Cornwall" because two of the three original drivers, the K-77 and K-55's were the same and the woofer was downsized from the Cornwall's 15" to the Beta's 12", but both speakers have been ported, unlike the Heresy. I've seen some comments from people wondering why Klipsch didn't sue Beta because of the similarities between the Heresy and the Beta 045.

Whatever, they sound great!

good to hear those baby boys are back on the feet singing again and I'm pleased I could be helpful there :rolleyes: enjoy the music.

• Like 1

Nice job Arash. I was going to tell him to take them into his backyard and blow them up.

We still don't know what they are. Someone should still dissect one and do a little math. Is ANYTHING labeled?

• Like 2

Yes, all the components are labelled, and according to my <cheap> capacitor tester, they are well within specs (5%). You just can't see the number in the pictures. Looking at the FIRST picture in (upper left), the two large, wax "yankee candle" caps on the right are 27 uf. The two cardboard tube caps in the upper left at the top of the picture are 8 uf. The one at the upper right is 4 uf. The yellow cap in the center is 2 uf. All the inductors have continuity. I have no way of "testing" them with my limited knowledge. I presume they are measured in "henrys" or something like that, but since they're just wound wire, I'm, perhaps stupidly assuming that they either have continuity and work or don't. They range from .9 to 1 ohm. All the resistors are 10 ohm and are within specs.

You can see markings on all of them, that I checked off one by one listing the actual readings for the caps and inductors?

I'm sure what matters is not the values of all these components but the circuitry. I do not have the technical ability to redraw that in any understandable form. All I know is that both crossovers are identical to each other in the way they are connected/laid out. I'm assuming that these were the original crossover designs from Beta Sound in the 70's.

Once I got the connections cleaned up they sound good to my ears.