Component Amps

KlipschManiac

Hey, fellow Klipsch fans, I have the R7 complete HT setup, and would like to get into dedicated amplification/preamps. I am a total newb in this area, and "TheEar" has recommended the ATI 2505 and ATI 1505. I want to buy something that works with the Ref. 7's, similar to how Denon receivers sound. I currently have the Integra 6.2 rec. (100x5), and like the overall sound, but it has poor bass management. I was thinking about getting a amp with 100x5. This would seem to be more than enough power for the ultra efficient Refs., and I can't stand ear bleeding volumes, well for very long... The ATI are 250x5 and 150x5 and quite expensive. I was thinking this is overkill, and was looking at maybe purchasing something in the Carver line or NAD, such as the Carver A705x or NAD 925THX. Much cheaper and THX certified. I hear that Adcom is a bad mix with Klipsch, so I'll stay away here. Well, am I thinking clearly, or am I still suffering from a Friday night hangover? Or should I just forget it and get the ATI 1505? I have also read that ATI's are "bright". Sorry "TheEAR", not trying to diss your advice, just curious and being cheap too. Look forward to hearing from you all. Thanks everyone that has replied to my previous inquiries.

Scott

KlipschManiac,

Here is a list of some that I remember received good reviews here: Acurus, Denon, McIntosh and Outlaw. I personally use an Outlaw, Sonic Frontier Amp 1 and Dynaco ST 70 MKII for HT f/r duty. The latter are tube amps that power my main front and rear channels. The Outlaw powers a second set of RS-3 rears and my center channel speaker. It's said that the Outlaw sonic character is very similar to the ATI's, at far less the cost. I'm very pleased with my Outlaw!

There are many good choices out there, so hopefully others will offer suggestions as well.

Wish you the best in your selection.

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 07-22-2002 at 10:28 AM

KlipschManiac,

While others may disagree, certain Carver amps can be a very good match with Klipsch. I run a Carver Lightstar with my mains and several Carver TFM 35x's for my center and surrounds. I believe the 705 is a later generation amp, but was based on much of the research that went into developing the Lightstar. The 705 has been very favorably reviewed, and if I recall posesses a similar sonic signature to the amps I own - somewhat laid back, and very smooth in the mid-range. Whatever you do, stay away from the earlier Carver amps with the magnetic field technology - they are a poor match with Klipsch. And yes, the older Adcoms will sound very grainy and harsh when matched with Klipsch.

Hope this helps...just my humble opinion.

Regards,

Colin

------------------

My System

This message has been edited by chickey on 07-26-2002 at 12:18 PM

ATI amps are bright!? LOL

The poster who claims this is not bright.

I have both the ATI 2505 and 1505 and both have dare I say identical signature.In one word they sound the same,the 2505 will have a good few extra watts in you drive speakers like Thiel and a few planar that need BIG power amps to reach realsitic SPL's.

With Klipsch speakers the ATI 1505 is all the amp you will ever need.It has both BIG power and sound quality is among the very best.

As an alternative I would look at Rotel and Outlaw.Outlaw being very close in character and built to ATI.

The Rotel would also be a great choice,less built quality and most of the sound.A bit more refined then the Outlaw and ATI.An A/B comparison you would have to listen close to tell both the Rotel and the ATI/Outlaw apart.

NAD,nah their cheapo amps are not recomended,their higher end series are great.You are looking for maximum bang for the dollar so NAD is out.

Carver is a great choice if you find a used Carver for a few dollars.The SUnfire amps being priced much higher then ATI and Outlaw.

TheEAR(s) Now theears