CF-2 crossover changes

Debating on whether to put in an L-pad on my CF-2's to tame the horn a bit. The horn has had extensive damping done on it. The plastic lamination on the motor board has been removed and replaced with a high gloss piano finish. This is a series 1 version. The cabinets have been refinished. That is the extent of work done on these.

Suggestions on L-pad, or changing the attenuation on the horn? The horn just seems to over-power the woofers.

post-12851-0-65220000-1404591046_thumb.j

can you post some info on the driver on that horn along with some pictures? In the mean time you can experiment with installing a 40 mm dia. (official size) pong pong ball into the horn with some thread and a little tape. Position it so there is abot 3/8" gap on the left and tight side of the ball. I think that you might be very pleased. This will not only aid in dispersion making it much wider and smoother but top end extension will sound better. Best regards Moray James.

Do you have a picture of that ping pong ball mod, Moray? I have a hard time envisioning just what you have in mind. I'd like to try that with my CF-4's.

+++

Minor thread drift:

And since I have your attention Moray, what other mods do you suggest for the CF-4 and CF-3's? I've seen several of your suggestions, but I don't think I've seen a comprehensive compilation in one place.

Drill a small hole through the ping pong ball, run the thread through it. and then tape the thread to the side of the horns.

There's a ton of cheap wirewounds in that network. Replace them with Mills non-inductives. It must work, because I was just accused of ruining the highs on a pair of RF-7ii by using them. : )

• Like 2

wvu80: I can't find a picture but this is not complicated. You position the ball in the centre of the horn hang it from a single thread with some tape. The ball is moved into the horn until you have a gap of 3/8" between the ball and the horn side walls. Simple and easy to do It works just as well as a solid fixed install and it is easier to do. Give it a try and see what you think. With a K79 horn I use the non official or toy size which are 38mm in dia. and a narrow wrap of electrical tape all around the seam of the ball and then I wedge it snugly into the horn. This works extremely well though it may seem counter intuitive it does a great job. Best regards Moray James.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to bump the thread.

Any thoughts on a simple L-pad inserted in the circuit?

As soon as I finish restoring a pair of AR 4x for a friend, I will start work on the CF-2's. you know how hard it is to match a woofer cone for the AR 4x? Luckily, Dave at Speakerworks had a cone from the 40's that will match it. The cloth surrounds aren't easy to work with, either!